Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get a Web site built

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Axwell wrote: »
    Think you missed one up above in post #18

To the OP I would advice what is normally given and should have already, go to www.adverts.ie and strick up an ad there outlining what you want although as some have said what you want might work out a bit more than a budget site so you might have to hit google and get a few quotes from the companies on there.
    That's terrible advice, very few professionals look at adverts.ie for work. You'll only get amateurs. It's very hard to find a decent web company in Ireland. Any of the competent people are generally booked up well in advance, so if you want some decent the onus is really on the client to find someone good.

Post up the job spec on the creativeireland.com forum, you're more likely to get a better response. G'luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 njprrogers

The notion of you getting a usable site with any kind of functionality for €200 is utter nonsense.

Rates for a proper web developer start at €50 an hour + VAT. Between assessing the requirement, development / SEO (to me SEO implies W3C standards based web development) and implementation, things will run beyond a grand.

If you do not have the budget for a properly constructed website, my advice would be to find an IT student or someone interested in the area to take it on as a project. It will take them a lot longer than a professional but with a bit of research and enthusiasm you'll get there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

p wrote: »
    That's terrible advice, very few professionals look at adverts.ie for work. You'll only get amateurs. It's very hard to find a decent web company in Ireland. Any of the competent people are generally booked up well in advance, so if you want some decent the onus is really on the client to find someone good.

Post up the job spec on the creativeireland.com forum, you're more likely to get a better response. G'luck! :)

P i said in my post if he wants anything more than a budget site he would have to look elsewhere than adverts.ie but from the sounds of his post hes not really looking for anything but a budget website hence my advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Remember the phrase 'buy it cheap buy it twice'. If you take your business seriously then you will pay a proper professional to make you a website. A basic catalog site will set you back at least €2500 these days, but with that you get a site with a clean unique design, properly search engine optimised, good usability and accessibility and well written content. If you want a list of web developers I would rate highly then PM me, if that's allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Well I guess Turkeys dont vote for Christmas anyway.

OP, shop around. See samples of the kind of thing you want and dont be talked into anything you dont need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

there's a lot of sites that will build a site for free for you- just google it.
    Look at http://www.homestead.com/?s_cid=G29214 or http://www.weebly.com/

Do you want a posting function in it, chat function etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Well I guess Turkeys dont vote for Christmas anyway.

OP, shop around. See samples of the kind of thing you want and dont be talked into anything you dont need.

Can you show me some competently built, basic sites that were done for €200-€300?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Can you show me some competently built, basic sites that were done for €200-€300?
    +1

Last time i posted company names i got banned and told if i did it again i would be banned forever, so

OP, PM me and i'll send you some links to the companies i refer my own clients to.

Remember though that if its a brochure site you're looking for, and for most this is all they need, it wont be expensive at all.

Last time i posted company names i got banned and told if i did it again i would be banned forever, so

Nobody's looking for company/agency websites - just examples of quality client sites that were designed and developed for €200-€300.

• Advertisement

Nobody's looking for company/agency websites - just examples of quality client sites that were designed and developed for €200-€300.

If i give you those i give you the companies i work for. Cant do that on an open forum.

You know how to use google right?

Google for cheap websites and you'll find loads. If you go outside Ireland to UK, US and Indian sites you will get them even cheaper, but be sure to check out the samples though and only use the ones where you pay when you are happy with the sites and you'll be fine. Just google them. Its not hard to figure out he ones that produce good sites.

If i give you those i give you the companies i work for. Cant do that on an open forum.

You know how to use google right?

Google for cheap websites and you'll find loads. If you go outside Ireland to UK, US and Indian sites you will get them even cheaper, but be sure to check out the samples though and only use the ones where you pay when you are happy with the sites and you'll be fine. Just google them. Its not hard to figure out he ones that produce good sites.

*sigh* Give me an example that isn't one of your client sites that you know was developed for €200-€300. I know how to use Google but even it's not powerful enough to find a site of decent quality designed for that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Till Rolls

sorry didnt realise i cant but a company website here. It got snipped. Google internet solutions ireland. I can highly recommend them

Still waiting to see this €200/€300 quality website although KhanTheMan appears to have gone to the can. :pac:

Still waiting to see this €200/€300 quality website although KhanTheMan appears to have gone to the can. :pac:

I posted details of several sites here, both Irish and UK ones, where you could get cheap good quality websites, along with advice on prices and they all had sample sites, but the post is completely gone. Why not just remove the links rather than the whole post?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

I built busbyway.com for that.

donnyvegas wrote: »
    I built busbyway.com for that.

Very good. How long did it take you?

not sure. it sorta has been upgraded over time as the site developed. Probably about a week over all - workin a bit per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

not sure. it sorta has been upgraded over time as the site developed. Probably about a week over all - workin a bit per day.

You built it for 200 - 300 quid ?

1 Week ? = 40 hours ?

200 / 40 = 5 euro/hour
    300 / 40 = 7.50 euro/hour

Whats minimum wage these days ?

Okay, so let's say a week @ €300. That would earn you a full-time salary of less than €15,000. You couldn't survive on that let alone run a company. Which was kind of what I was alluding when KhanTheMan was claiming that anyone charging more than €300 for a website was ripping people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

forbairt wrote: »
    You built it for 200 - 300 quid ?

1 Week ? = 40 hours ?

200 / 40 = 5 euro/hour
    300 / 40 = 7.50 euro/hour

Whats minimum wage these days ?

And thats the thing, people dont see the time as being worth much, think "sure it cant take too long?".

It would never take me 40 hours. I'd 6/7 hours but it was spread over the week.

I could design a website for 200/300 easily.

6 or 7 hours? Well done.

Well you'll certainly do well. If you can be that competitive, why not get out there and destroy the competition?

Meeting Clients
    Getting All Data together
    Designing 2 or 3 mockup screens
    Tweaking design to customers requirements
    Templating Site
    Putting Template into CMS
    Putting site online
    SEO on site
    Hosting / Domain costs (Setting up for client)

And all this takes 6 to 7 hours ?

Damn I'm really doing something wrong I think maybe its time to look at a different career :(

Edit:

6 / 7 hours = 1 site a day ...
    52 weeks - 4 weeks holidays = 48 weeks

Lets just say 4 days working = about 200 websites a year

Damn !!! :)
    200 x 300 quid = 60K a year

60K less rent / marketing / software licenses / hard ware ... Tax ... and so on ...
    hmm...

hey look man I'm a student.

A domain would cost me €7 and hosting is fixed which I have already paid for for the next 3 years which means I get a wholesale price.

I designed the website for myself so I didnt charge anyone but myself.

A domain would cost me €7 and hosting is fixed which I have already paid for for the next 3 years which means I get a wholesale price.

I don't think anyone's having a go at you. Just pointing out that you couldn't run a serious business like that.

Not meaning to come across too harsh ... I'm in business

You're not exactly designing the site ... you're using a rocket theme ? template and tweaking it slightly. You're "designing" the site for yourself so just coming up with the figure of 200 - 300 euro ?

So really you're putting the site together.
    Joomla install 20 minutes
    Add the template 20 minutes

Tweak bits on the site 6 hours 20 ...
    I don't think anyone's having a go at you. Just pointing out that you couldn't run a serious business like that.

Pretty much what I'm saying

I may be coming across harsh ... I do understand you're a student ... I just want a distinction I guess between what you're offering and what I'm offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's probably fine for what he wants it to be.

However, it is far from being a business-grade site. There is little or no SEO and your PageRank is zero. I also think you are underestimating your time and mistaking tweaking a template for design.

And there you go OP. My post, of several sites where you could get cheap, quality websites as well as some advice on bargaining and defining your needs - deleted.

Everyone jumping on donnyvegas and adding up the hours to 40 per week, when he clearly said "working a bit per week", but they chose to ignore that.

PM me and i'll send you the info you need. Or even PM donnyvegas and ask him to help you out.

As i said in the post that was deleted SEO is simple, you can do it yourself and keep optimising as you go too if you want. Google it and here are guides all over the place - including some from google. a quick google (which noone here seems to know how to do) gives you this one for a start
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/11/googles-seo-starter-guide.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

your advocating working with this guy:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422601

Think that says it all tbh.

Advertisement