Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Higher Maths.

Options
  • 03-09-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just into my first few days of 5th year and am struggling is HL Maths.I did TY last year so basically did no Maths and forgot about them. I got a D in J.C which was awful but I was good at maths up to second year when I moved school and then everything went weird and down the tubes.

Anyway, Now were doing the revision part of Text and Tests 5 and I can hardly do anything in it, until I look up how to do that certain thing again when im at home. I was just wondering, When we get into the course after the revision will I be really screwed ? I really don't wanna go down to pass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Anyway, Now were doing the revision part of Text and Tests 5 and I can hardly do anything in it, until I look up how to do that certain thing again when im at home. I was just wondering, When we get into the course after the revision will I be really screwed ? I really don't wanna go down to pass.

You sure youre using the right book?

Text and Tests 5 is the second half of the HL syllabus, unlikely that youre on that book at the start of 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Hey Guys,

Just into my first few days of 5th year and am struggling is HL Maths.I did TY last year so basically did no Maths and forgot about them. I got a D in J.C which was awful but I was good at maths up to second year when I moved school and then everything went weird and down the tubes.

Barry, I got a D for my JC and an A1 for my LC so dont let that bother you.
    If I could give any advice for studying maths it would be to truly understand whats going on in class.
    The real key is not by remembering what you did to solve a problem, but why you did it.
    Im assuming that your teacher is starting off the course by teaching Algebra.
    This is the most important chapter(s) you will study during the maths course so make sure you pay attention.
    Weakness with algebra is the most common reason why a good, intelligent student doesnt perform to their ability in Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Hi,

When I started fifth year I got a huge shock. The jump from Junior Cert HL to LC HL is absolutely gigantic! I talked about dropping it for the whole of 5th year, because I was struggling so much, but my teacher wouldn't let me drop because she said I could do it if I just worked.

This year, I'm finaly starting to get it, and things are coming together a little. No doubt when I go to revise older stuff I'll be just as lost as I was in 5th, but for the moment I'll struggle away.

I didn't use Text & Tests, I use New Concise Maths, so I don't know what revision thing you're talking about, but practice makes perfect and all that (prehaps I should practice what I preach :p). I'd stick it out until at least Christmas if you can, maybe until after the Summer exams. See what sort of results you get and then decide from there. I completely failed some of the class tests, I got a C at Christmas and a B1 in the SUmmer Exams. So I do think I'm catching on, finally.

My whole class were in the same boat as me though, we all felt completely lost at the start and just wanted to get out fast. It is hard course if you're not a maths wizard, which most of us aren't, but definately stick with it as long as possible and work at it a bit. Don't give up all hope yet! (And learn your formula!! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Sorry, Yes T&T 4 :) Yeah Ill stick it out until Christmas anyway, That bit*h cant make me move to Pass because im an inconvenience to her. The rest of the class seem to be (suprisingly) good at the Maths. (But it is only our 3rd day).

I know i'm intelligent enough to stay in HL alright, Im in Pass Irish since 1st year because I was never good at it and the amount of wasters in the class isn't funny, I feel it would be a waste going to Pass maths :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Stick it out until the end of 5th year.I got a c in JC maths, a D in TY,a D1 in fifth year exams and a B2 in the LC.I suggested to my teacher after 5th yr that I drop down, and he told me to forget it, I had no reason or excuse to think I couldn't do the honours course (he was a damn good teacher).You are 3 days in, please don't worry about it.The one thing I will say is that the LC course is quite a lot of work.To be honest, you can do the stuff when you're at home, or when you've looked it up, that's half the battle.Some people can't at all.Inspiration doesn't suddenly strike you after spending a year dossing, and don't expect it to.Also make very very sure that if you want to do a certain course in college, what the maths requirement is, if you do eventually drop to pass.Pass rules out a lot of options.But I think you should stick with it,and you'll do okay, don't be downhearted by bad results.It happens to us all, there's quite a jump in the level.BTW, I went on to do civil engineering in UCD, and am qualified 3 years now...I owe my LC maths teacher a massive thank you, would have dropped out otherwise.So please don't worry too much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That bit*h cant make me move to Pass because im an inconvenience to her.

Charming.
    Let's hope you catch up with the class soon and don't keep holding the rest of the class back.

A D in JC HL Maths shows the barest of grasps on the JC course. You will need to improve on that if you are to have the basics of LC Maths. If you let things go on too long without catching up you will fall further and further behind. It's not impossible, but it's up to you and no amount of blaming the teacher will get you out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

OP - it's been 3 days. 3 DAYS.
    It is silly to start panicking at this early stage. At least stick it out for a few months before you decide if you will be able for this.
    The jump from JC to LC Maths is really big. I didn't do 4th Year, so I went in remembering most of my Junior Cert maths, and I was still shocked at how complicated LC Maths looked at the time.
    You'll be starting the course with algebra - make sure you can understand everything about algebra because it crops up in all other parts of the course. A good grasp of algebra will be hugely beneficial when you move on to other topics.

One piece of advice I will give you is try not to be intimidated by HL Maths. I often let myself think that HL was too difficult for me and convinced myself that I wasn't good enough to do well in it. I said to myself "As long as I pass I'll be happy".
    DO NOT fall into this trap as it will hinder your progress. If I was more confident about HL Maths I think I could have done a lot better in my exam.

Good luck :)
    spurious wrote: »
    Charming.
    Let's hope you catch up with the class soon and don't keep holding the rest of the class back.

So if a student is finding a subject difficult, they should just be removed because they're "holding the class back"?

I sincerely hope you're not a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

So if a student is finding a subject difficult, they should just be removed because they're "holding the class back"?

NO, but the teacher certainly shouldn't spend loads of time helping one student who happens to find the course alot more difficult than other students. It would be unfair to the students with natural ability, and those that work hard, and do well.

They should be put into a class with students in the same boat, ie a class that better fits his/her needs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am a teacher and I would make absolutely no apologies for considering the other 24 students (who are working and following at the pace of the class) more deserving of attention in the class than someone who is in the wrong group. I would certainly remove such a student to a class more suited to their needs.

At LC I'm not babying anyone along. They are either able for the work level or they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

sd123 wrote: »
    NO, but the teacher certainly shouldn't spend loads of time helping one student who happens to find the course alot more difficult than other students. It would be unfair to the students with natural ability, and those that work hard, and do well.

They should be put into a class with students in the same boat, ie a class that better fits his/her needs.
    spurious wrote:
    I am a teacher and I would make absolutely no apologies for considering the other 24 students (who are working and following at the pace of the class) more deserving of attention in the class than someone who is in the wrong group. I would certainly remove such a student to a class more suited to their needs.

At LC I'm not babying anyone along. They are either able for the work level or they are not.
    OK look I can see where you're coming from but I don't think teachers should just give up on students if they are finding a subject difficult.
    If the student is lazy and not working - absolutely move them. But if a student is really working hard and trying their best I think they should be given a little more time before the teacher just gives up on them.
    I mean this is 1 week into 5th Year ffs. It's not like their pres are right around the corner or anything!

Also spurious, the word "babying" is extremely condescending. Plenty of students find subjects at Leaving Cert difficult. I hope you have a more encouraging and less dismissive attitude than you are conveying here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Thanks for all of your comments.
    spurious wrote: »
    Charming.

A D in JC HL Maths shows the barest of grasps on the JC course. You will need to improve on that if you are to have the basics of LC Maths. If you let things go on too long without catching up you will fall further and further behind. It's not impossible, but it's up to you and no amount of blaming the teacher will get you out of it.

With regards to the class thing, Its the schools responsibility to separate weaker students and put them into another class, but if they are not willing to do that(Which my school is not obviously) Then I am not going to jump down to pass to sacrifice myself for the good of the rest of the class.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As someone who was "one of the other 24 students", I can say it is enraging to be in a class where there are people who blatantly can't handle the level/pace, and for whom everyone must slow down. Yes, teachers shouldn't give up on students, and students shouldn't just drop because they have slight difficulties, but if they're wasting class after class asking rudimentary questions and holding everyone back, it's just not fair.

Also, I can't imagine it's fair for the person who's having difficulties, if the class they're in is moving too quickly and they're struggling to keep up, when they could be in a class more suited to their level.

To get back to the OP though: To me it just sounds like you're out of practice. Being unable to do a question until you refresh your memory as to how to approach it just shows you need to get more into the swing of things. Of course, it's very important to stay on top of what the class is doing, so don't leave catching up on things to the side or it'll be harder later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Drop to pass. I did HL last year. Pass is rediculously easy. I'm going to start a thread about that actually. I have a friend who got a D1 in honours with a load of work- took away from other subjects and everything. If he did a fraction of that work in pass he would have gotten more points...

Unless you're good at it. I was okay, tried to keep up, but towards the end I realised it just wasn't worth the work I was putting in. Keep it up till the end of the year, but I'd advise taking on an extra subject or something...just in case..

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    Drop to pass. I did HL last year. Pass is rediculously easy. I'm going to start a thread about that actually.

So why would you drop to pass if it's that easy? would you not be better off to struggle at the HL course, and maybe get better at it than to fly through the OL course, which as far as I can see is mostly JC HL anyway.
    I have a friend who got a D1 in honours with a load of work- took away from other subjects and everything. If he did a fraction of that work in pass he would have gotten more points...
    A D1 in HL is worth 55 points, he'd have to get an A1 in OL to better that..... So, he'd have to do a fraction of the work to get an A1 according to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Barry, I got a D for my JC and an A1 for my LC so dont let that bother you.

Seriously....wow.

If that's true it's some achievement.

In my school about 20 got a's in JC maths and only 4 got A1'S IN LC.

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

So why would you drop to pass if it's that easy? would you not be better off to struggle at the HL course, and maybe get better at it than to fly through the OL course, which as far as I can see is mostly JC HL anyway.?

Points. I have more time to study my other subjects. I don't have to do any study and I'm getting at least high 90's on exams, whereas I'd be failing honours and spending hours every evening just to achieve that. I just want to pass it anyways so it doesn't matter anyhow...

A D1 in HL is worth 55 points, he'd have to get an A1 in OL to better that..... So, he'd have to do a fraction of the work to get an A1 according to you?

Yes he would. From what I saw he spent the whole 2 hours of supervised study every evening doing mainly Maths, whereas being naturally good(but not good enough as it turned out) at Maths, if he just did his school and homework he would easily have gotten an A1.

Seriously....wow.

If that's true it's some achievement.

In my school about 20 got a's in JC maths and only 4 got A1'S IN LC.

Congrats

Ah thanks very much, thats very kind of you! :D
    I did become very interested in Maths, Physics, Applied Maths during 6th year so I actually enjoyed studying those subjects. Perhaps thats what got me through the year!;)

Ah thanks very much, thats very kind of you! :D
    I did become very interested in Maths, Physics, Applied Maths during 6th year so I actually enjoyed studying those subjects. Perhaps thats what got me through the year!;)

Do you mind me asking, did you change school, get a different teacher, or was it just a total different way of looking at maths? Or maybe (and I'm throwing this out there cos I know you're starting medicine) you decided that you needed an A in it for points?
    I know that physics and,(to a higher extent A. Maths) helps alot with the more grey areas of maths, that people seem to struggle with, but, to help you out that much is fascinating!
    It seems highly unlikely (imo) that you could jump from a D in JC to an A1 in LC. Thats not to say that I don't believe you, but I find it very interesting that someone could do that, Well done tbh!

Do you mind me asking, did you change school, get a different teacher, or was it just a total different way of looking at maths? Or maybe (and I'm throwing this out there cos I know you're starting medicine) you decided that you needed an A in it for points?
    I know that physics and,(to a higher extent A. Maths) helps alot with the more grey areas of maths, that people seem to struggle with, but, to help you out that much is fascinating!
    It seems highly unlikely (imo) that you could jump from a D in JC to an A1 in LC. Thats not to say that I don't believe you, but I find it very interesting that someone could do that, Well done tbh!

Okey dokey, let me explain my story! I did my leaving cert the first time in 2007. Was an awful dosser, didnt turn up for class, the usual crap. Got 470 points. Then I became seriously interested in physics. Repeated my leaving cert, switched from ordinary level maths to higher level maths. Took that up in a year. Took up applied maths in a year. Took up chemistry in a year. i know it might seem a bit unbelievable but its true. I worked my ass off and it was worth it. :D Then I decided that theoretical physics wasnt for me and I stuck down medicine as my first choice. I think my mental health suffered a bit during that year!;)
    Would I lie to you???:P
    And no, I didnt get a new teacher. I thought myself maths, applied maths, and chemistry! I think that is what helped me to truly understand the subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's also possible that someone could perform really poorly on the day of their JC exam, by chance. I think we all know how dodgy it is, having years of work evaluated by a 2ish hour exam.

That's pretty impressive though, mardybumbum! Just shows what determination and interest can do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement