Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good coverage make up for scarred skin

• 03-09-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Any reccomendations? I have scarred skin from Acne. The Acne is gone but my skin is scarred from the effects. Not just red but pock marks/icepick scars....feels like I have to fill in the holes with putty at this stage....does anyone have any experience of any make up that makes them less noticeable? Or any products that reduce the marks? I know Bio Oil is good for marks but not these pock marks that some people get. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

This is kinda typical of what my pock marks are D16B644657ED255B88B794.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I was looking on this site for info about dermabrasion and I saw this reply to scar cover up..

I completely understand your issue, since I've suffered with covering up my acne scars myself. The trick is not to use shades that are too light. There are several makeup lines which will work for the best cover up. Derma Color...which is the thickest and water resistant comes in a huge variety of shades. You can spot apply the concealer to where you need to cover up. My tip on applying the makeup would be to put your foundation on first...that’s right. First the foundation and then see where you need the extra coverage. Follow that with the concealer. Use a shade in the beige/yellow tone to cover up any red marks. If your have a hole/scar, I would recommend using a small synthetic brush to apply the concealer with, instead of your fingers or a sponge. This will ensure the concealer stays where you want it. Then blend the surrounding areas with the foundation already on your face. Make sure when your done, that your face and neck look the same color...and that at lease in some areas of your face, you can see some skin. When applying the foundation first, you can wet a sponge to make any cream foundation go on smooth and more sheer. Then, the concealer and the most important thing is to powder your face. Anytime you use creams on an area, I would suggest using loose powder to set it with. This will actually make it look more natural and make sure it does not move around. If you have a chance, take a look at my website and the colors I use as concealer and foundation.

http://makeup.lovetoknow.com/Acne_Scar_Cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Yeah, good advice there. Vichy Dermablend is also great coverage for scarring, and they have a concealer too. As you say, the pock marks are the real issue and it's very difficult to disguise them with make-up.

It seems like dermabrasion or peels are an option. You just need to look into it thoroughly and decide if you want to take that step further. I've seen some sites showing before and after pics for dermabrasion treatments on acne sufferers and the results are impressive.

If the idea of a cosmetic procedure is not for you, there is a home treatment you can try. A dermocosmetic brand called NeoStrata sells a home skin treatment. I've used it before and it is fantastic stuff. It's categorised as an anti-aging treatment, but that is because it gently removes the top surface of the skin (thereby reducing wrinkles) so it would help reduce the appearance of acne scars. My skin looked great after using it. It's not at all uncomfortable and produces no redness. It's around 40 euro. I'd definately recommend it.

http://www.neostrata.com/int-neostrata/product_details.asp?prd_cid=85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

I second Vichy dermablend, i have pretty mad marks left from spots (which have still not gone away) and this foundation is good for evening out the skin tone and then I use boi ing concealer from benefit on any marks that are visible through the foundation.
    would love to hear what other foundation people use for coverage though.
    Arnotts used to sell this brand cover blend but i dont think they do it anymore, if you can find it on the net or something tho its the stuff they use to cover up scar marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I second Vichy dermablend, i have pretty mad marks left from spots (which have still not gone away) and this foundation is good for evening out the skin tone and then I use boi ing concealer from benefit on any marks that are visible through the foundation.
    would love to hear what other foundation people use for coverage though.
    Arnotts used to sell this brand cover blend but i dont think they do it anymore, if you can find it on the net or something tho its the stuff they use to cover up scar marks.

Thanks idunnoutellme.....do you know where I can get this Vichy dermablend? I haven't seen it before I don't think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Summerjones

Is it better coverage than Estee Lauder Double Wear?

And would collagen filler be any good for scars like that? If they're good for wrinkles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

ye vichy is only sold in pharmacies, so if your in dublin there's one in blanchardstown shopping centre, there's one beside grand canal dock and i'd say they'll actually have vichy in every big pharmacy...so have a look for it.
    you can also buy it on ebay. the foundation will cost around 19-20 eur but it lasts a long time you only need a little bit and i use a makeup brush - gives a better coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

MayMay wrote: »
    Thanks idunnoutellme.....do you know where I can get this Vichy dermablend? I haven't seen it before I don't think?

Hickey's Pharmacies stock it. Any pharmacy that stocks Vichy products should have it, or at least be able to order it for you.

Thanks so much, will have a look for it this weekend and try it out. Not expensive either, thought it would be. Thanks :)

Should you buy the moisturiser etc too to make it go on better?

Tried this and it's not great for me to be honest. Back to my L'Oreal one....does anyone know if Estee Lauder's Double Wear is the best coverage? Heard it's good but don't want to go wasting money on it if it's not any good. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

In my quest for foundation with the best coverage, I've found Double Wear definitely has the best coverage. A lot of others around here agree, do a quick search and you might find some other comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 babsbabs

I have to say revlon foundation is brilliant - it covers everything!!!! I always get compliments that my skin is so pure and flawless, its not - I have scars from when I was badly burned on my cheeks and I have the odd breakout of spots, but Revlon is fantastic for hiding everything!!!!

But I will say one thing - they are part of you, dont ever feel like you have to hide them

Good luck with finding the best one for you!!!! :)

Pythia wrote: »
    In my quest for foundation with the best coverage, I've found Double Wear definitely has the best coverage. A lot of others around here agree, do a quick search and you might find some other comments.

Thanks a million, will give it a try. Can you get it pretty much anywhere? Using L'Oreal Infalliable foundation at the moment and it's the best I've used so far, I'll definitely give Double Wear a go.

babsbabs wrote: »
    I have to say revlon foundation is brilliant - it covers everything!!!! I always get compliments that my skin is so pure and flawless, its not - I have scars from when I was badly burned on my cheeks and I have the odd breakout of spots, but Revlon is fantastic for hiding everything!!!!

But I will say one thing - they are part of you, dont ever feel like you have to hide them

Good luck with finding the best one for you!!!! :)

Thanks Babs :) Is there a specific name or is it just the one Revlon brand? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rankin82

Hi MayMay,

I'm not even a member of this forum, but had to sign up to share my experience with you as I know how embarressing pock marks can be.

I'm a 27 year old former acne sufferer and also have deep pockmarks as a result of years of hellish spots/pimples, but I think I've finally found the answer to my make up woes!!

I use Loreal Studio secrets anti-shine mattifying primer (you can get this from boots) to give your skin a base and help fill in the mark (this doesn't clog by the way, I don't get spots and I'm still prone to the odd breakout) and then I use Estee Lauder double wear foundation. I have been searching for my perfect combo for years and now I am much more confident. You might find you need to blot/apply powder around 3pm, but this is nothing in comparison to previously having to blot 5/6 times a day.

Really hope this helps.

This is me now, you can hardly see any scars...............Face.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Cover FX is meant to be brilliant for scars but afaik its pretty pricey. They do it in Dundrum I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

At one stage in my life I had very bad scarring from surgery on my face, and the only foundation I found good for coverage was Jane Iredale mineral makeup.

I've not seen it on sale anywhere though - a beautician I know used to get it for me.

Advertisement