Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storm cinema!

Options
  • 03-09-2008 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

alrite just wondering lads , how much is storm these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

alrite just wondering lads , how much is storm these days?

€9.50

bit lower if your a student.

there popcorn is gone horrible the last while :(

I think the old cinema is closing down this week or next? So I hear from a friend whos working there.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Make sure to bring cash with you, as I dunno if it's the staff don't know how to run a laser card or credit card transaction, or their card terminals are faulty (wasn't our cards as they work fine everywhere else), but last time we went, we ended up having to run across to the ATM in Tescos to get the cash out while the bloody film started :mad:

Agreed with the popcorn also - they don't seem to be storing it right overnight as there's a hint of staleness off it, and the last few buckets we got were all bitty pieces of popcorn and a lot of unpopped corn.

Will be sad to see the old cinema go, have fond memories of going there as a child, and worked there for a stint a good few years back too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The problem seems to be with the terminals. Its a pain to use a credit or laser card there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Have Storm gotten their act together yet ? Last time I was there, a Tuesday night to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall, so that must have been at least 4 months ago. I queued for 30 minutes (it took 30 minutes for the 12 people or so in my queue to be handled by an auld lad in there), to be told that it was sold out.

The problem in my view is that ticket sales should be sold seperatley to food and drink sales (I know thats part of their model, but a lot of the bigger cinemas in the country have this seperation now).

I had reverted to going back to the old cinema for the last few months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    The problem in my view is that ticket sales should be sold seperatley to food and drink sales (I know thats part of their model, but a lot of the bigger cinemas in the country have this seperation now).

Thats what everyone would like but having tickets and food on the same Q improves there chances of selling stuff which is in the cinema's interest so its unlikely to change.

If you want tickets faster then book on-line and use the ticket collection point (if its still working hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

A cinema night out for 2 is expensive these days. Not being cheap or anything, I know it's the social aspect and everything.

€9.50 - entry
    €15 - €16 - large popcorn + 2 drinks + packet of revels
    Total - Expensive.

Now I don't mind paying for a cinema entry, but the staff at the counter are appaling. They cannot handle large crowds and are clumsy in dealing with each request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

lads and ladies the old cinema will close its doors for the final time tonight it will be a sad day for some of the staff i know one of the fella,s that ran the projectors who worked for the company for over forthy years starting out in the old cinema before that one was built, every1 should pop down there tonight and catch a flick for one last time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭JohnC.

So much for all those claims that it would be renovated. Though I think there was permission given for one as part of a complex at Waterford Crystal sports grounds or somewhere like that, which is supposed to be run by them. Perhaps when that got permission, they decided to abandon the old one.

Hopefully the actual building won't be abandoned for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Anyone know whats going there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Have Storm gotten their act together yet ? Last time I was there, a Tuesday night to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall, so that must have been at least 4 months ago. I queued for 30 minutes (it took 30 minutes for the 12 people or so in my queue to be handled by an auld lad in there), to be told that it was sold out.

They seem to be finding it hard to get staff, which means that the place is busy and staff are finding it hard to handle the crowds - understandable. They just need more staff.

The screen above the counter shows if a film has tickets, limited tickets or is sold out - just keep an eye on it.

You can also buy your tickets down stairs, but that's often busy also. I hate booking via their website - it costs more for starters. Even if you do, your often still forced to queue as the collection point is always broken.

Id prefer the current cinema any day tbh. The old cinema took our money and never gave anything back - the seats were falling apart, the heating was always broken, the screens/sound were in poor condition and the whole building isn't great.

I get student tickets in the current cinema, so its not to costly. I purchase food in Spar/Dunphys before hand also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

lads and ladies the old cinema will close its doors for the final time tonight it will be a sad day for some of the staff i know one of the fella,s that ran the projectors who worked for the company for over forthy years starting out in the old cinema before that one was built, every1 should pop down there tonight and catch a flick for one last time

I think its sad the old cinema is closing down, yeah its been a bit grotty the last few years but it was pretty good for a number of years. I won't be able to go there tonight unfortunately so the last film I will have seen there was Hellboy 2 last week.

Another side effect of it closing is it gives Storm less incentive to try harder to please people. their popcorn has been **** for quite a while and the hanging around and waiting is some pain in the hole. Hopefully another cinema will be opened soon to get a bit of real competition going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Sully wrote: »

I get student tickets in the current cinema, so its not to costly. I purchase food in Spar/Dunphys before hand also.
    ya cheapskate lol

ya cheapskate lol

Hey now, with the economy the way it is - I need to keep spending to a minimum. :p

Another side effect of it closing is it gives Storm less incentive to try harder to please people. their popcorn has been **** for quite a while and the hanging around and waiting is some pain in the hole. Hopefully another cinema will be opened soon to get a bit of real competition going.

I doubt Storm cared - the majority will always go with them and there not loosing a lot of customers. They will only try harder when a real competitor comes to the market imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I doubt Storm cared - the majority will always go with them and there not loosing a lot of customers. They will only try harder when a real competitor comes to the market imo.

That is what I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is no loss that the old place is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Do Storm (and other cinemas) get their popcorn in big bags or do they make it and then put it in bags? It's never warm like it's supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

JPA wrote: »
    Do Storm (and other cinemas) get their popcorn in big bags or do they make it and then put it in bags? It's never warm like it's supposed to be.

I'd say it's prebagged. You don't get that lovely popcorn smell you get on Patrick St walking past the old cinema.

No, it is made there. The machine is right behind the counter and I have often got the popcorn smell when using the car park near the premises and often see it being made when using the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

JPA wrote: »

There the pre-bags , cause i was in the queue as you do and they ran out of popcorn , so he runs out back and get a bag and lo and behold we gots popcorn again!

• Advertisement

Iv seen the bags, and they put them into the machine across from the counter then I assume to heat them or finish them.

It will be good when we get the extra cinemas, competition and all :)

I've seen them making the popcorn and putting it into the bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Kahless wrote: »
    I've seen them making the popcorn and putting it into the bags.

we should take this to the conspirecy (sp) fourm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

You can also buy your tickets down stairs, but that's often busy also. I hate booking via their website - it costs more for starters. Even if you do, your often still forced to queue as the collection point is always broken.

I never had any problem with that machine being broken.

The no dedicated ticket line is really annoying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

hey all,i work down in storm for a good while now so might be able to clear some things up.First of all popcorn is freshly made every morning when we open when it is quiet and put into large bags you have seen and stored out the back in preperation for the usually busy evening.

Like a few have said its the storm model that tickets and food are sold at the same place to maximise profits,i know its a pain having to que but nothing we can do about it.

As regards the rotton popcorn,we have had alot of new staff in recent months and some are on in the day time and would be making popcorn and obviously are not making it properly,i will pass on your thoughts and see if we can improve it. Another reason could be that the 2nd popcorn warmer in from the left as you look at the counter has been broken for a good few months and doesnt heat the popcorn,again something we have informed management about again and again.

The problem with laser cards is with the in house system not the staff,we are as annoyed about it as you are,we have been complaining to management about this for months,the storm francise was recently bought out by Odeon(sp) so because we are under new management we dont know when it will get sorted.the management are looking at the possibility of getting a bank machine put in to save people running over to tescos.

As for the ticket collection machine,most of the time its ok but seems to break down when we need it most,think it runs out of paper fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I don't like storm really. It's nicely laid out but 9:50 for a movie? It's just not justifiable unless it's one I've been wating months to see.

And their popcorn is overpriced and oversalted and not as nice as the old cinemas popcorn.

We need to all send them an email/suggestion box(i think they have one) telling them to sort out there popcorn I don't want to go in again looking forward to a new movie and having to eat horrible popcorn :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

They also need a pick and mix. The old cinema wins for that.

Yea I agree on that actually im surprised I never noticed it before.

• Advertisement

Buttons ftw. ;)

Advertisement