Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storm cinema!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

And then when a new cinema comes in and beats Storm, they'll have a monopoly and their prices will go up and the cycle will repeat.

Well Libra seems to think the problem is high costs rather than monopoly. Of course the best thing would be just for Storm to accept a lower margin, and stay in business without pissing off customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Originally Posted by libra02
    You seriously have to ask that question !!!

Here are just a few

Higher Rent
    Storm smaller chain of cinema, simple economics the larger the number of cinema in a chain means they can have lower ticket prices etc
    Storm may have more staff employe

Enough of this "small chain" bull****. Storm are owned by Odeon, who are the largest cinema chain in the UK. How's that fact for your "simple economics"?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

dayshah wrote: »
    Well Libra seems to think the problem is high costs rather than monopoly. Of course the best thing would be just for Storm to accept a lower margin, and stay in business without pissing off customers.

If you check my previous psots you will see I also said that if a new cinema does comes in with lower prices at the start it will put Storm out of business and when that happens they have the whole market and next step will be to hike up prices to same or more than Storm are currently paying. And that is exactly what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

AdMMM wrote: »
    Enough of this "small chain" bull****. Storm are owned by Odeon, who are the largest cinema chain in the UK. How's that fact for your "simple economics"?

Well I was not 100% sure that they were owned by Oden. So you have said that well technically prices should be low but you are again forgetting that operating costs here are higher than in the UK, though it is a subsidary of Oden it is probably operating as it's own seperate group so Oden are not including it in economic model for pricing for it UK operations and are just basing it's prices setting on the 5 sites it has here. Which would be what alot of companies do when currency is different and costs vary between countries.

Look if ye are all that annoyed e-mail Oden and vent your anger there. I am sure they will give you the same answers as alot of posters have here.

libra02 wrote: »
    If you check my previous psots you will see I also said that if a new cinema does comes in with lower prices at the start it will put Storm out of business and when that happens they have the whole market and next step will be to hike up prices to same or more than Storm are currently paying. And that is exactly what will happen.

So which is it? Are we being ripped off because Storm has a monopoly or because they have high costs?

As I said before, cinemas in other places (like Dungarvan) are cheaper. Waterford isn't exactly in some off-shore location that they have to ship in popcorn by currachs.

There is no reason why it should cost more to go to the cinema in the east of the county than in the west of the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

There was an article on the front page of the business section of the sindo yesterday stating that cinema attendance has been falling year on year since 2007. Its obvious that less people can afford to go the the cinema yet in previous recessions cinema was seen as a low cost way of having a night out. With the way prices are at storm theres no way it can be considered cheap...or value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ and I think that is going to be the big turning point.

The time will come if the trend continues of Cinemas(not just storm) raising the prices that people will just say there is no value for money i'm going to wait for a decent version to download or wait till it comes out on DVD.

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ and I think that is going to be the big turning point.

The time will come if the trend continues of Cinemas(not just storm) raising the prices that people will just say there is no value for money i'm going to wait for a decent version to download or wait till it comes out on DVD.

Well its the same as what happened with the pubs and nightclubs. Some places mistakenly put up prices thinking this would make up for the decrease in footfall. But it just drove more customers away. Eventually some places went to the wall, and now you can get drinks for as low as €2.50.

I think the last time I went to the cinema was about April. I was fairly annoyed that it cost about €9.80 at an off-peak time, but what really pissed me off big time is that they have hoarded the VAT reduction. Costs have come down for Storm, but they increase the price of food.

You simply do not fvck with a man's popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

...now you can get drinks for as low as €2.50.

Except people don't like going to these places because of the clientele the low prices have attracted...

Anyway, i emailed Storm again using their contact page just questioning why the decrease in size and no change in price of the popcorns, and also if they will be passing on the VAT reduction. I got an automated reply, and then a reply from someone at Guest Services saying that it has been sent onto the Storm Guest Service Team and someone would get in contact with me. This was on the 9th. I'll hopefully get a reply this week, and i'll post the reply.

Except people don't like going to these places because of the clientele the low prices have attracted...

Anyway, i emailed Storm again using their contact page just questioning why the decrease in size and no change in price of the popcorns, and also if they will be passing on the VAT reduction. I got an automated reply, and then a reply from someone at Guest Services saying that it has been sent onto the Storm Guest Service Team and someone would get in contact with me. This was on the 9th. I'll hopefully get a reply this week, and i'll post the reply.

Good man on contacting them.

Regarding the €2.50 pints, I know what you mean. But you can get drinks for €3.50 in decent places that used to be €5, and I think €3.50 is reasonable. So similarly, if storm is almost €10 at peak, I think €7 is reasonable. Though I don't think tickets for €5 would attract scumbags as cinemas are different to pubs.

• Advertisement

Good man on contacting them.

Regarding the €2.50 pints, I know what you mean. But you can get drinks for €3.50 in decent places that used to be €5, and I think €3.50 is reasonable. So similarly, if storm is almost €10 at peak, I think €7 is reasonable. Though I don't think tickets for €5 would attract scumbags as cinemas are different to pubs.

There is the odd place alright that do cheap drinks and don't have the scumbags, The Foundry do €3 in/€3 drinks on Sundays alright, and i know a couple of other bars are cheaper during the week. Just a pity i usually go out Fridays!

I have to say though, there are rarely scum in the cinema. I suppose they're not seen so it goes against their beliefs to be seen and heard. However, the odd time they are in there i seriously feel like throwing my foot at them. Won't shut up, on the phone, throwing stuff.

I really think that 1 trusted person should be given an attention buzzer to let security know that there's someone acting the dick in the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Santan wrote: »
    well one thing I do know of is Waterford city council has increased its rate charges by over 10% annually for the past 5 years
    libra02 wrote: »
    I heard this too about the rates in the city going up
    The Council actually froze rates from 2010 to 2011, and I think there was a very small increase (something like 0.6% or 0.06%) the year before, so not much has changed in the past 2 years anyway. Before that though, yes the Council were increasing rates every year for the past decade, same as every other Council in the country. Only very few Councils have actually decreased rates, a lot have just frozen rates and there's a few who've even increased rates.

Got a reply, and i believe it is from the General Manager in Storm Waterford:

Many thanks for your email.

I appreciate your comments and I fully appreciate your frustration with the change to the Large Popcorn Portion. It has been as frustrating for the team and myself locally and will continue to be in the coming weeks and months.

Due to the rising cost of food products internationally, we have experienced an increase in the cost of our products. The same can be said for costs of many business' today. This has left us with the decision to either increase price or reduce quantity. In this case we have reduced the size of the portion, often finding during screen cleans that most guests only ate half of what was in the popcorn size. I believe that this is a quite guest sensitive decision. I completely understand your point of view with relation to this and of course I would like every guest to by some retail when they come to the cinema. We have many great offers available to Guests such as the Couples Combo, Film Feast, our New Family Feast and we have regularly done 2 for €5.00 offers and give away free Yorkie and Kit Kat bars at selected seasons. Taking all of this into account, I would still like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused to you by reducing the sizes and any knock on effect it has had to your cinema experience

Secondly prior to the Vat rate decrease we reviewed our pricing structure and introduced a reduction in prices for any film before 1pm. All films playing before 1pm are now €6.00 per person. 3D upgrade fees still apply to 3D movies but there is usually only one playing during that time and even with the upgrade fee it is substantially less than at peak time. A "Teen Ticket" was added to our Pricing Tiers which means that Guests between 13& 17 can enjoy a film for €2.60 less during peak periods. This is only the case in Storm and UCI Cinemas and one other smaller operator of cinemas. We also reduced the price of our family ticket by €1.00 which means that a family unit pays €4.00 less on each visit.
    Additionally, we run a Kids Club which is only €4.00 per ticket, Senior Screen which is only €3.00 per ticket with a free tea or coffee and Newbies (Parent and Baby Screen) which is only €6.50 per ticket with a free tea or coffee. Taking all of this into account I do strongly believe that there is value to be had at the cinema. However I can fully appreciate the Point of view of the cinema going public on pricing, however I do believe that a cinema of the same standard as Storm Cinemas Waterford runs with a similar pricing structure.

I know that this does not alleviate your concern with the bag size change. However my team and I value your continued custom. Storm Cinemas prides itself on its Good Times... & Great Movies!, As the General Manager my priority is to run a Safe, Clean, Guest Friendly, Efficient and Profitable Cinema.

Many thanks again,

Best regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

since they changed the portions I now buy my coke and snacks at Tesco cost me 1.80 :). and bring them in my pocket. I for one used to polish off my popcorn and coke. maybe if they had a VIP card or something where people who go regular could get them at a reduced price or a free popcorn and coke after so many visits

jos22 wrote: »
    maybe if they had a VIP card or something where people who go regular could get them at a reduced price or a free popcorn and coke after so many visits

This x a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

jos22 wrote: »
    since they changed the portions I now buy my coke and snacks at Tesco cost me 1.80 :). and bring them in my pocket. I for one used to polish off my popcorn and coke. maybe if they had a VIP card or something where people who go regular could get them at a reduced price or a free popcorn and coke after so many visits
    This x a million!

Absolutely.

Now that you have a line of communication open, why not put that to him? I've long felt that a loyalty card of some sort should be implemented. The Odeon platinum club or whatever they call it in Odeon cinemas in the UK is class. If Storm are still owned by Odeon, there's very little reason for them to not have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Went in around 4 o' clock yesterday to get my ticket eraly for the 7:10 show of Inbetweeners. Headed home then.

Was about to leave the house around 6 o' clock and I realised the time on the ticket said 4:40 screening. Immediate thoughts were "****, I didnt check it, that screening is over, and now I'll have to hope I can just buy a new one." Wasn't ripped so that was my way of saying I clearly didn't intend to use it.

Went in anyway and went to the same girl I bought it from and explained how thick I am. I still had the receipt so she asked for it. Asked me to hold on for 5 minutes, manager or someone came over and put through a refund and changed it for one of the last 4 tickets for the 7:10 show.

Good service, I had completely expected to have to pay for another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

It would be cool if they could introduce something I saw in dublin a few years ago. Cant remember the name of the cinema now, but its on parnell st and used to the old imax cinema.

They had a offer on... you could buy a monthly cinema ticket for €20 and use it to see as many films you wanted to in a month. Now I know not everyone would be interested in seeing every movie that comes to the cinema but if you went to see 3 you'd have made a saving.

I thought it was great idea. Something I would definitly consider. I enjoy going to the cinema but the price of going at the moment has stopped me. I only go now to see big blockbustery movies that look good on the big screen. Anything else I can wait for on on DVD or "other means".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

sorrywhat wrote: »
    It would be cool if they could introduce something I saw in dublin a few years ago. Cant remember the name of the cinema now, but its on parnell st and used to the old imax cinema.

They had a offer on... you could buy a monthly cinema ticket for €20 and use it to see as many films you wanted to in a month. Now I know not everyone would be interested in seeing every movie that comes to the cinema but if you went to see 3 you'd have made a saving.

I thought it was great idea. Something I would definitly consider. I enjoy going to the cinema but the price of going at the moment has stopped me. I only go now to see big blockbustery movies that look good on the big screen. Anything else I can wait for on on DVD or "other means".

You're thinking of Cineworld. I had one of those cinema cards. I saved an unreal amount of money with that. When I had mine you had to pay it all up front which might not be everyone's cup of tea. It was so handy because if you were at a loose end you always had the cinema to go to, even if it was middle of the month and you were broke waiting on pay day you could still go to the cinema.

Only films i go to see in the cinema now are 3D films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Now that you have a line of communication open, why not put that to him? I've long felt that a loyalty card of some sort should be implemented. The Odeon platinum club or whatever they call it in Odeon cinemas in the UK is class. If Storm are still owned by Odeon, there's very little reason for them to not have one.

Yeah the Odeon card is great. Over here in the UK the cinemas have loads of deals.

Odeon card you get a discount on food and drink and tickets. Orange Wednesdays (for customers of the Orange phone network) get deals on Wednesdays, 2 for 1, half-price, free tickets etc. With the Ambassador group, which is my local cinema, they have a loyalty card, go to the cinema 8 times and get the 9th free. The best thing is if you go with a partner you can have your own loyalty card and they'll stamp both of them so you can both avail of the deal. They also have £5 tickets on Mondays before 5, £6 after 5.

Now I understand that there might be a bit more competition over here, but still there are plenty of towns with only one cinema that have special deals. Don't see why the Irish ones couldn't as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

plain and simple! Rip off ireland is alive and well

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

I think i might just do that, i'll do a little research on the Odeon deal and put it to him. Although, i'd say this may be above his pay grade, but i'll say it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think i might just do that, i'll do a little research on the Odeon deal and put it to him. Although, i'd say this may be above his pay grade, but i'll say it all the same.

I'm sure it is but if you have a line with him and he has one with the general manager, then it quickly becomes something that could be pushed if they had any desire to reward their customers.

On the €20 a month for unlimited movies, I'd love that. They'd surely do well out of that as not everyone would use their full allocation. I'd happily pay a year's subscription to something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I'm originally from Co. waterford but Ive lived in Kildare and Dublin for years.

My favourite cinema in IRELAND so far has to be Cineworld, Parnell St., Dublin (I've been to a few in Ireland, Galway, Portlaoise, Cork, Waterford, Dublin).

Cineworld has 17 screens, a bar, and a floor that serves all different types of treats and imo it has the best popcorn. It also has eddie rockets, another bar and arcades connected to it.

Cineworld is pricey but I only get to go to the BIG BIG movies when my boyfriend will agree to a decent film whilst otherwise Id go alot (but I dont like going alone, lol!).

Im moving back to Waterford in 2 weeks and Im going to miss Cineworld alot, Ive only been to Storm in Waterford a handful of times. Has there been any changes, is the popcorn nice etc?

PS: Cineworld still has the 20euro a month deal going on. It also shows foreign films which I think is great for visitors and European citizens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I'd love a cinema who catered for people who don't like noise when watching a film, the volume is not turned up to the last no kids allowed and no food. I HATE it when people eat popcorn with their mouths open.
    I find Storm in Waterford far to load especially when there are explosions. I made a compaint about it the last time I was there and was told it was nothing to do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

spookwoman wrote: »
    I'd love a cinema who catered for people who don't like noise when watching a film, the volume is not turned up to the last no kids allowed and no food. I HATE it when people eat popcorn with their mouths open.
    I find Storm in Waterford far to load especially when there are explosions. I made a compaint about it the last time I was there and was told it was nothing to do with them.

I'm assuming you mean "loud", typically explosions are exceptionally loud in films, if there is a difference between the dialogue and the sound of an explosion then that is in the film's reel, or digital sound. Cinemas tend to have a 'default' setting for sound levels, of which they can alter, (some films can be a bit louder than others although rarely used, adjustments can be made). Managers are more than happy to help should the sound be any trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dialog would be fine its the sound effects are loud, my ears start buzzing and it cancels out the sound effects also it bloody hurts when it happens.
    I dont know why but if someone starts eating popcorn or crunching in the surrounding seats it sounds like they are doing it right in my ear. Maybe my hearing is over sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I don't think there's a lot you can do about how people eat their popcorn...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Bubs99 wrote: »
    I'm originally from Co. waterford but Ive lived in Kildare and Dublin for years.

My favourite cinema in IRELAND so far has to be Cineworld, Parnell St., Dublin (I've been to a few in Ireland, Galway, Portlaoise, Cork, Waterford, Dublin).

Cineworld has 17 screens, a bar, and a floor that serves all different types of treats and imo it has the best popcorn. It also has eddie rockets, another bar and arcades connected to it.

Cineworld is pricey but I only get to go to the BIG BIG movies when my boyfriend will agree to a decent film whilst otherwise Id go alot (but I dont like going alone, lol!).

Im moving back to Waterford in 2 weeks and Im going to miss Cineworld alot, Ive only been to Storm in Waterford a handful of times. Has there been any changes, is the popcorn nice etc?

PS: Cineworld still has the 20euro a month deal going on. It also shows foreign films which I think is great for visitors and European citizens etc.

It's also 11.60 a film, has the most expensive popcorn in the country, Longest ads before a film, and some of their screens are directly above the bathrooms, which means all you can hear is the hand dryers.

We can't complain about cinema prices in waterford, dublin is more expensive, and has anyone even tried to go in london (I recall £18 for a ticket in the odeon at the start of the summer for ONE)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

went to see the inbetweeners there last friday night, and i thought the ads beforehand were uncomfortably loud, fair enough i hadnt been to the cinema in 3 years, but am i the only one who found it hard to bear it?

Advertisement