Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storm cinema!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    If you are referring to the Facebook page Sully, then yeah.... The Facebook page is run by myself to make people aware of upcoming films etc.

I don't entertain negative comments that are out of my control, if they want to give out/ complain then they must do it formally either in the cinema or via the contact us page on the website.

You're spot on too. You should get some competitions going though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you are referring to the Facebook page Sully, then yeah.... The Facebook page is run by myself to make people aware of upcoming films etc.

I don't entertain negative comments that are out of my control, if they want to give out/ complain then they must do it formally either in the cinema or via the contact us page on the website.

Lot of people don't like it and have given out about The Foundry doing it. Let them rant, and refer them to the contact page to get their rant seen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

You're spot on too. You should get some competitions going though.

Will try my best to do something,

Sully wrote: »
    Lot of people don't like it and have given out about The Foundry doing it. Let them rant, and refer them to the contact page to get their rant seen to.

Their rants were answered to the best of my ability, and then were deleted when they were read by the user.

What they were ranting about was completely off topic to the promotion and hence took away attention to the promotion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Their rants were answered to the best of my ability, and then were deleted when they were read by the user.

What they were ranting about was completely off topic to the promotion and hence took away attention to the promotion.

Whats the harm in leaving it up? If they keep going on and on, you can kick them of the page. You do more damage going around removing comments you don't like. Will you delete comments that are off topic if they are positive - saying how fantastic Storm is?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Whats the harm in leaving it up? If they keep going on and on, you can kick them of the page. You do more damage going around removing comments you don't like. Will you delete comments that are off topic if they are positive - saying how fantastic Storm is?

I don't really want comments on it to be honest, i'd rather if you could only 'like' it. I don't believe I can set it up in that way though.....

If i'm to be honest, i'd delete all the comments...

Then you should delete the page as well.

Why don't Storm have a facebook page?

:confused:

I don't really want comments on it to be honest, i'd rather if you could only 'like' it. I don't believe I can set it up in that way though.....

If i'm to be honest, i'd delete all the comments...

I assume the company don't mind you running their Facebook page, the way you want it?

2b....you seem to be a bit of a smart arse. But I'll answer you anyway.

As Sully has asked, I'd be interested to know whether or not Storm actually know that you're running the page. And I recommended that you delete the page because you want to run it as free advertising as opposed to social networking. If you're gonna delete every comment that doesn't tell you how brilliant you are, then you may as well just delete the page.

I was asking whether or not Storm had a professional page. What you're providing is very far from professional.

• Advertisement

2b....you seem to be a bit of a smart arse. But I'll answer you anyway.

As Sully has asked, I'd be interested to know whether or not Storm actually know that you're running the page. And I recommended that you delete the page because you want to run it as free advertising as opposed to social networking. If you're gonna delete every comment that doesn't tell you how brilliant you are, then you may as well just delete the page.

I was asking whether or not Storm had a professional page. What you're providing is very far from professional.

The company is aware i'm running the page, it started off initially as a method for informing people about films that they may not have been aware of (special showings etc).

It's easier to not have comments or 'likes' IMO if people want to raise an issue with the company then they should do it via the correct channels. Much like if I had a problem with a moderator here on Boards, I wouldn't post it here in a thread.... I'd contact him/her directly than just make a sly comment in a post.

If the company wishes to step in with a 'professional' Facebook then I welcome it with open arms. Until then, I'd like it that people were aware of the promotion.

I've grown tired of responding to your questions or concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The company is aware i'm running the page, it started off initially as a method for informing people about films that they may not have been aware of (special showings etc).

It's easier to not have comments or 'likes' IMO if people want to raise an issue with the company then they should do it via the correct channels. Much like if I had a problem with a moderator here on Boards, I wouldn't post it here in a thread.... I'd contact him/her directly than just make a sly comment in a post.

If the company wishes to step in with a 'professional' Facebook then I welcome it with open arms. Until then, I'd like it that people were aware of the promotion.

I've grown tired of responding to your questions or concerns.

Do you actually work for Storm? If so, is that the way you deal with a customer who has questions and concerns in the cinema?

Boards is different to a company social media website. Completely different. You really grind on peoples nerves when you go around deleting peoples comments because they don't go with your view. Just answer, if you can, and point them in the right direction. Much better communication than being an arse about it.

Its happened on The Foundrys page, and it happened with the Big Brother (Channel 5s one) page also where people complained about not having a live feed but the social moderator removed the comments. Fine Gael did it in the election and it made the papers for god sake.

At least abouttobebanned has a good idea of how to run Social Media sites but you don't seem to (no disrespect, its not your job title anyway and you didn't train or want to be such). Don't bash him for pointing out the obvious. You took on his Feedback for a competition (which I can't figure out wtf it is, there usually a tad easier than that!!)

You actually said you didn't like doing the page (deleted the comment now) anyway. So why bother?

Do you actually work for Storm? If so, is that the way you deal with a customer who has questions and concerns in the cinema?

I meant answering questions outside of work... Of course I deal with questions or concerns as professionally as I possibly can in work.

A duty manager IIRC. Found his in-store presence fine though, I suppose you behave differently online. A lot of people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I meant answering questions outside of work... Of course I deal with questions or concerns as professionally as I possibly can in work.

A lot of the people on this thread are either customers or potential customers.

You regularly answer questions without being approached first to answer them. You identified yourself as working for them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

If you want to go the way of nobody allowed to post on the page, set up a group instead. You can have the settings set so that only admins can post. It would save you deleting comments the whole time. Everything else would be the same.

cococoady wrote: »
    If you want to go the way of nobody allowed to post on the page, set up a group instead. You can have the settings set so that only admins can post. It would save you deleting comments the whole time. Everything else would be the same.

Groups are not permitted for businesses afaik. Run the risk of getting it shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

cococoady wrote: »

Or, if you don't want negative comments, don't set up a social networking page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

As much as I think it's good to have the page to help inform people of upcoming movies, special screenings, special offers, etc. it should have been obvious that the existence of the page would leave the cinema open to criticism, as is the case with any form of social networking site.

I'd see deleting the comments like that as being like unfair censorship really, as they do have a right to express their opinions freely in a public forum... and by setting up the page, you gave them access to that public forum, and a direct line to the cinema.

My attitude would be that if you set up a platform on which you share information with people, then they have every right to share with you, whether it's positive or negative responses.

Perhaps setting up a page on webs or a similar site would have been better, as you can set it so that people can not comment on the page itself, but still give feedback privately to you. Sites like webs also have the advantage of more customisation options, which would enable you to tailor the site to better suit your needs (just a suggestion)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Christ if he wants to delete the comments let him delete the comments. If the comments are just people complaining then I'd delete them too and refer them to the contact number or email.
    "If you wanna delete every comment that doesn't tell you how brilliant you are then you may as well just delete the page."
    Thats just being childish. Thats essentially "If you don't like it then delete the page", with an extra little dig.
    You have a page set up just to let people know about offers and films coming out. This is something he set up himself, and looks after himself. And then people end up using it as an outlet for complaints which gets them nowhere.
    I'd see deleting the comments like that as being like unfair censorship really, as they do have a right to express their opinions freely in a public forum... and by setting up the page, you gave them access to that public forum, and a direct line to the cinema.
    They do have that right, except this was just set up to let people know about promotions etc, its a page on Facebook not a public forum. The moderator or person who set up the page and remove comments as much as they want if they're taking away from the point of the page.

If it was an official business page there'd be a reason to start giving out about comments being deleted because they could be taken as complaints there. He gives his best response both on here and on the facebook page, and then when people aren't willing to accept the answer he should just be told put up with further complaining about the same topic, or delete the page?

If a moderator deleted comments here because they were off topic or taking away from the thread there'd be nothing said. If they were taken away for complaining about moderation without contacting the moderator nothing would be said. But rather than just remove comments he was giving them a response, waiting for them to confirm they read it, and then deleting the comments so they wouldnt drag away from the point of the offer news.

If anyone had a problem here they'd complain about it the proper way i.e. through a moderator. They wouldnt start randomly posting in threads of no relevance to complain about it, because the comments would be deleted. People were complaining on the post and their complaints had nothing to do with the offer so they were given an explanation and then the posts were deleted.

I had my comments deleted from The Foundry's page but I just thought it was funny, and my post was off topic anyway. He was fully entitled to remove the comments! What is it with these witch hunts lately?

His attitude has a lot to do with the negativity that he's getting. Look at the smart ass way he chose to tell me that there is in face a facebook page for Storm. In my opinion he's unable to deal with his customers in a professional, and courteous manner, so he shouldn't be doing it.

When you set up a facebook page you do it with the knowledge that it's a forum for you to communicate with customers and them to communicate with you. This is what Facebook wants, and this is what businesses must agree to before they set up a page. This is why groups and profiles are not allowed for businesses.

There is a way to deal with criticism on facebook, and in the majority of cases, deleting comments is not that way. Sure, if someone says something that could potentially be damaging to business it's best to try and contact the aggrieved personally and then delete the comment. But generally, if people see you trying to interact with people they will appreciate it and it will work in your favour in the long run.

And Mitch, as soon as he puts the Storm Waterford Logo on that facebook page it becomes an Official page. Just because he's doing it off his own back and may not be getting paid is irrelevant. He's more than willing to exploit facebook for its free advertising, but if he's not willing to give people a right to reply then he's using it unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

The first rule of any corporate Social Media strategy, is deal with teh negagitve comments first and Never never delete any comment. It demonstrates that you don't care or your trying to hide something. If you engage on professional and caring manner you will turn a negative customer into a positive asset.

If a person leaves a negative comment it means that they have taken the time to air a valid (for them) complaint. If you ignore it or delete it then you are saying you don't care.

So that leaves you with this question:

1: do you formally recognise yourself as an online representative for storm, if so then you must gather and respond or recognise that your can't answer all queries.

2: You with draw your presense and state that you don't have the resources and thats why your withdrawing.

I would suggest that you set yourself up a free Trackur.com account and it will pick forum post and save the hassle of trawling through posts as it will find it for you.

Personally I do find him to be professional and courteous. I'd rather someone be straight and to the point than courteous.

He is trying to deal with complaints and comments. He already gives them a response/explanation and waits for them to read it. Anyone else could have easily said feck off. What happens when they continue to complain? It happens all the time. They don't like the answer they got so the continue to complain with no resolution.

There is no fair/unfair way to use Facebook. Its completely your own take on it and how you use it (not you as in you particularly, just in general). You set up a page and you do what you want with it. I have my own one atm, although I'm not a business, and I freely delete comments that are just out to complain. If someone has a problem with how the page is ebing run they can report it.

Someone puts up "**** you and your ****ing cinema ye rip off bastards." Do you ask "How can I help with your problem?" or do you delete the comment because the person is clearly just out to complain. I'd delete the comment.

Are you suggesting that everybody is being abusive to him on Facebook? Id remove people who are abusive, and I am sure most social mods would also.

Its an official Facebook page and he is doing it all wrong by deleting comments. I'm not so sure he does explain to everybody, iv asked questions in the past and never got an answer. It was just deleted. Breaking a main rule of social networking.

If you don't like it, then lump it.

Personally you know him better than I do Mitch, and iv always found him a decent chap in Storm and around college. Just not going about the Facebook page right, and its doing more damage to Storm than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Sorry to slightly hijack the current talk of thread but just want to ask a question.

Has anyone here seem Planet of the Apes recently and if so what movie trailer were shown?

Thanks

libra02 wrote: »
    Sorry to slightly hijack the current talk of thread but just want to ask a question.

Has anyone here seem Planet of the Apes recently and if so what movie trailer were shown?

Thanks
    Twilight, Change Up and that one about the girl being a spy if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Twilight, Change Up and that one about the girl being a spy if memory serves me correctly.

Thanks.

Just wondering as I go the cinema on a regular enough basis and the amount of trailers for popular films coming out that I have never seen shown surprises me.

I have yet to see a trailer for Jane Eyre which is out Friday and only recently saw a trailer for Tinker Tailor, Solider Spy and that was before One Day the other two were for films I never heard of and looked pretty awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I actually agree with Sully & ATBB on the Facebook page. We all gave the foundry & Harvey's a hard time for doing the same thing. I totally agree with the point that a page full of complaints and abuse would look awful but you have always handled any negative comments in this thread very well and I think that comes across allot better then deleting complaints.

Abuse is another issue. No place for that.

Advertisement