Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storm cinema!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

There goes my one film I was looking forward to for the weekend. Suppose I'll have to wait for Warrior on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0913/ghostbusters.html

Does anyone know if they will be showing Ghostbusters this October in any cinema anywhere in the South East?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Warrior looks class in all fairness. I'll be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

blaa85 wrote: »
    Ah for f*ck sake. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is meant to be the film of the ****ing year. I had wanted to go see this today, I just assumed it would be on, maby because of all the f*cking glowing reviews! There is an ad for it on the lefthand side of the Waterford storm webpage!
    What a bunch of pricks!

This is idiotic in the extreme.As you said it is the film of the year.The fact they are not showing this shows how much of a piss poor cinema storm is.A country town flicks is all it is.I guarantee people would have came from all over the SE to see this. It's especially infuriating when you see the bilge the have playing instead.ROM Coms galore and ****e comedies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Are Storm showing Fright Night? Saw the trailer for it there last week when I went to see The Inbetweeners and it's out everywhere else now but no sign of it in Storm yet.

No sign of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Are Storm showing Fright Night? Saw the trailer for it there last week when I went to see The Inbetweeners and it's out everywhere else now but no sign of it in Storm yet.

No sign of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy either?

Fright Night was showing since it opened. I went to see it about 2 weeks ago and Storm had 3-4 showings of it a day. It could be juts gone I say.

With TTSP, I say it might open next week or two. Be surprised if they did not show it at all.

Have to say Waterford seems to be the best out of all of them to show films which is why I am surprised it is not opening.

This is idiotic in the extreme.As you said it is the film of the year.The fact they are not showing this shows how much of a piss poor cinema storm is.A country town flicks is all it is.I guarantee people would have came from all over the SE to see this. It's especially infuriating when you see the bilge the have playing instead.ROM Coms galore and ****e comedies.

That a big harsh Storm Waterford usualy is good for getting films in and it is very rare they do not show a film when compared with rest of the group.

I say it may open end of next week. Just wait and see before spewing the hate. Give them a ring and ask. They should be able to let you know. If they say no it won't be shown well then by all means give out a bit.

However and this is purely my opinion there is a huge amount of films out at the moment and quiet alot that have been open for a bit which are still attracting a crowd. So it was probably a compANy decision to decide to keep on showing the films which bring the € in.
    Sad fact is they will get more people going to see Friends with Benefits for example than TTSP.
    I know people be on here say oh I know loads who would go etc and I myself would be interested in seeing it, however given the age group that spends alot of money going to the cinema, they would rather seeing some boring standard HW rom-com than something more mature and thinking like TTSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dee24

libra 02

Give them a ring and ask. They should be able to let you know. If they say no it won't be shown well then by all means give out a bit.

I did call Storm and they said that they will not be showing Tinker Tailor at all! Its only showing in their Limerick and Coolock screens.

:mad:

Dee24 wrote: »
    I did call Storm and they said that they will not be showing Tinker Tailor at all! Its only showing in their Limerick and Coolock screens.

:mad:

Wow I am very surprised at that. As I think this must be one of the first times they have not shown a big film like that.

Did they say why it wouldn't be shown?

I be a bit annoyed alright.

Let's hope it is a once off and not the start of big films not being shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dee24

They said it was because the distributer of the film only have so many reel copies of their movie, and they pick which cinemas/locations they want to send it to!

And in this case they didnt pick storm waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

libra02 wrote: »
    I know people be on here say oh I know loads who would go etc and I myself would be interested in seeing it, however given the age group that spends alot of money going to the cinema, they would rather seeing some boring standard HW rom-com than something more mature and thinking like TTSP.

Sure they have Jane Eyre on! They could have thrown TTSS once a day.
    I guarantee people would have came from all over the SE to see this. It's especially infuriating when you see the bilge the have playing instead.ROM Coms galore and ****e comedies.

Can't believe they have 5 comedies on, not counting the kids films. Makes me sick. Really disappointed, they didn't have Attack the Block back in May, where every other cinema did, but there were 'big' releases at time, absolutel sh!te like Pirates of the Carribean being shown in 4 screens. I realise there was probably no room to show it but ATB got fantastic reviews as well. It probably wasn't marketed as well as summer blockbusters to warrent a space.

There is bloody nothing out now, no excuse for not showing TTSS. It has great marketing with brilliant trailers, film is Oscar bound, 5-star reviews... Storm Waterford don't know what the f*ck their doing.

Dee24 wrote: »
    They said it was because the distributer of the film only have so many reel copies of their movie, and they pick which cinemas/locations they want to send it to!

And in this case they didnt pick storm waterford.

I thought that might be the case alright as having worked in marketing in the media industry this sometime happens and the cinema staff in the cinema which looses out takes the abuse.

Only thing is that Storm Waterford could request the reel after it has finished it's run in Limerick. However I cannot remember if this is allowed

Sure they have Jane Eyre on! They could have thrown TTSS once a day.

Can't believe they have 5 comedies on, not counting the kids films. Makes me sick. Really disappointed, they didn't have Attack the Block back in May, where every other cinema did, but there were 'big' releases at time, absolutel sh!te like Pirates of the Carribean being shown in 4 screens. I realise there was probably no room to show it but ATB got fantastic reviews as well. It probably wasn't marketed as well as summer blockbusters to warrent a space.

There is bloody nothing out now, no excuse for not showing TTSS. It has great marketing with brilliant trailers, film is Oscar bound, 5-star reviews... Storm Waterford don't know what the f*ck their doing.

First of all Jane Eyre is more popular than you think & had alot of the showings full.

Secondly as the poster said above it is the distributor who decides what cinemas show films. All cinema request the majority of films released and if the distributor has enough reels every cinema gets them.
    Some distributors only want limited release of certain films in certain places an other times they do not get enough copies.

POTC will always be more popular and the marketing and distribution strategy is huge and all inclusive where as something like TTSP may be on a smaller scale.
    On your case with AOTB that is not Storms fault if the distributor decided on a small release and they picked where it was going to be shown and Waterford lost out.

I think Storm do know what they are doing but there are certain things beyond their contol. As I said it is extrememly rare Storm do not get big films. I am sure they would prefer to show TTSP and get customers in then have other old films still showing with very few going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Well, whatever the reason it's not on ANYWHERE in the southeast, so I'm off to Mahon Point now to catch the 11.30 show - it had better live up to all this hype...! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

The latest one I hear from Storm is that soon they will have no full time projectionists there... they are going to these hard drive system things.... now - the obvious question... things are dodge enough as it is, what happens when theres no projectionist to fix problems? Sounds dodgy.

Well, whatever the reason it's not on ANYWHERE in the southeast, so I'm off to Mahon Point now to catch the 11.30 show - it had better live up to all this hype...! :D

Leave us know how it is, I'd say i'll be up to Mahon Point meself. I did me rant before I saw the comment saying the distributors choose what cinema gets the film. What does that say about Storm when 12 cinemas in Dubln get it, some with multiple reels. All I see them get is Limerick. Seems like they need to get their act together. If I had a voice in there, I'd be demanding the film, I still feel Storm haven't a clue. Sure the distributers may choose, but surely there is a demand for it? I've been defending them in past comments here, but I'm fairly pissed off here. TTSS looks amazing.

Leave us know how it is, I'd say i'll be up to Mahon Point meself. I did me rant before I saw the comment saying the distributors choose what cinema gets the film. What does that say about Storm when 12 cinemas in Dubln get it, some with multiple reels. All I see them get is Limerick. Seems like they need to get their act together. If I had a voice in there, I'd be demanding the film, I still feel Storm haven't a clue. Sure the distributers may choose, but surely there is a demand for it? I've been defending them in past comments here, but I'm fairly pissed off here. TTSS looks amazing.

Well that was 5 hours well spent, film lived up to expectations, and herself enjoyed it too despite my concerns that she mightn't like the slow pace (relative to colombiana!)...

It's a long haul down to Mahon point, but it's a lovely cinema, tickets are 8.60 and a large combo is 8.40, so I got a few quid of the petrol money back there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

If you're annoyed at TTSS not being made available to Waterford, send the distributor an email - info@studiocanal.co.uk

If you're on Twitter, send them a message there, too - http://twitter.com/StudiocanalUK

Say what you want about Tinker Tailor, but if we don't get the 3D re-release of The Lion King ****s gonna go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night over here in the UK. I read the book years ago and the film is a good adaption of it. That does mean it's quite a slow film. It's good but not the best spy movie ever made by any stretch.

Interestingly my girlfriend and I were probably the youngest there (in our late twenties). I wonder if that has any bearing on why Storm didn't get it in, the fact that enough of the younger audience might not go and see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Just received this reply from the distributor:
    Just to let you know that this film is opening in Waterford on 23rd September.

...and now we all look at the floor and shuffle our feet on the way to see it this weekend....

...and now we all look at the floor and shuffle our feet on the way to see it this weekend....

I will me arse! They should have snagged it on release day! Although I am delighted now - Warrior on Thursday, won't be able to see TTSS until Saturday and probably go see Drive on Sunday.

I'm still not sorry I went to Mahon Point to see it! (well maybe a little!)

The popcorn was much nicer there too, and that's it, I'm plum out of bile...

Ah Christ, nice to get TTSS, but now Limerick is the only Storm to get Drive on Friday? There is enough on to keep me goin this week, but I hope its in the following week and this isn't a regular thing.

Right lads, Storm is showing Jurassic Park this weekend and next week for god knows what reason. Whos coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hoffman390

Right lads, Storm is showing Jurassic Park this weekend and next week for god knows what reason. Whos coming?

It came out 18 years ago and the Blu-Ray is out soon, so I suppose that's why haha Unfortunately in Screen 4, the most distracting cause of the Fire Exit light.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hoffman390

Anyone seen Jurassic Park in Storm? What's the quality like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

iphonehead wrote: »
    The latest one I hear from Storm is that soon they will have no full time projectionists there... they are going to these hard drive system things.... now - the obvious question... things are dodge enough as it is, what happens when theres no projectionist to fix problems? Sounds dodgy.

They're all going digital so no need for them anymore. It's happening everywhere eventually i'd imagine. Might be one lucky sod who keeps his job to maintain them in case anything goes wrong or it'll just be passed onto shift manager. I guess with this new technology they'll just schedule up the machines once a week and away they go.

• Advertisement

Right, I'm back to hating our Storm. Drive came out last friday, and next weeks times are out with no sign of it. Only Limerick have it since last Friday.
    Hi there,
    I was just wondering will 'Drive' be coming to the Waterford cinema at any point?
    Dear MitchKoobski,
    Thank you for your email.
    We were unable to obtain a copy of the film for your local cinema this week however we were successful in other areas of the country. It is extremely unlikely to show even in future weeks.
    It may be showing at other cinemas in your area. To find out if it is still showing at another cinema in your area please try the Google Movies website (www.google.co.uk/movies).
    Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us again or call 1520 88 00 00* between 11am and 8pm.
    Regards,
    Liz
    Storm Guest Services

Advertisement