Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russell Brand offered James Joyce Award

Options
  • 03-09-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

I was listening to some Russell Brand podcasts I had saved and near the end of one where Russell has George Samson on as a guest he's discussing a letter he's received offering him the James Joyce Award. Noel Gallagher and his co host Matt Morgan rip the piss out of Russell ie. "why would anyone give you an award" and Noel says that the university probably wants publicity :p
    Russell read out part of an article about Will Ferrell receiving the James Joyce Award. Sounds like he's coming over to collect it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Is he that idiot with the 'I just awoke 5 seconds ago' haircut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

RussellBrand.jpg

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The L&H are giving him the award not the University.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Will Ferrell > (Russell Brand)^3

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

God, at this stage standards are severely slipping in the L&H - this is little more than a publicity stunt.

Whereas someone such as Will Ferrell is currently uncontested king of comedy, and a great writer and actor, Russell Brand is a Z-list celebrity with little discernable talent, and hasn't exactly accomplished much (though, to be totally fair, his role in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" was excellent! :)).

They're truely scraping the bottom of the barrel.

(Speaking of "Bottom", though, they should really get Adrian Edmondson and Rik Mayall over and give the pair the award. :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

and hasn't exactly accomplished much

Yeah!

It's not like he's wrote an autobiography that sold 600,000 copies and won an Autobiography of the Year Award. (which would make him far more suited for the James Joyce award than Will Ferrell.)

And he's only released TWO measly bestselling stand-up DVDs.

And it's not like he's presenting the MTV Video Music Awards in 4 days time.

And it's not like he's co-starring in the next Adam Sandler film or anything.

He's so undeserving of this award that it is ridiculous beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Umaro wrote: »
    Yeah!

It's not like he's wrote an autobiography that sold 600,000 copies and won an Autobiography of the Year Award. (which would make him far more suited for the James Joyce award than Will Ferrell.)

Alright, out with it. How many levels of sarcasm and irony are at play here!? one? two? three? the people have pondered and fallen short, and the judgment of your character and worth rests heavily upon whether you're above post is very, very clever or veeeerrryyy stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Yeah!

He's not:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Don't you mean the "Jamesie Joycey-Woycey award-type-thingie"? :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Down with this sort of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Frank_Gallagher

His column on the back page of the Guardian Sport was excellent. He's a really good writer but the degree to which he courts celebrity and where he courts it (MTV, Big Brother etc) make him a bit hard to stomach. Bottom line though this is a publicity stunt, but that's the world we live. Brand=arses on seats=more €€ for the L&H.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

His column on the back page of the Guardian Sport was excellent. He's a really good writer but the degree to which he courts celebrity and where he courts it (MTV, Big Brother etc) make him a bit hard to stomach. Bottom line though this is a publicity stunt, but that's the world we live. Brand=arses on seats=more €€ for the L&H.

He is a great write. And his stand-ups surprisingly decent, but...

Well... y'know... It's Russel Brand ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Yeah!

So? Jordans 1st biog sold over a million copies, should she get a JJ award?

That is an achievement considering he is not in the least bit funny.

Another reason not to watch it then.

But since Adam Sandler is co-staring in the next Adam Sandler film it probably wont be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Mushy wrote: »

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Just so ya know, the good folks over on the pro-wrestling board believe that current WWE Heavy weight champion Chris Jericho is getting the James Joyce award. I think Brand is much better suited to the award then both Ferrel and Jericho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Brand also starred in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall'. I thought his acting was good and the movie was downright hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Well the award was always pretext for getting a name over. Brand is like Marmite. I'm a fan so its good to see, but if you ain't why not ignore it? Its the old turn off the TV if you don't like it policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

hatful wrote: »
    I was listening to some Russell Brand podcasts I had saved and near the end of one where Russell has George Samson on as a guest he's discussing a letter he's received offering him the James Joyce Award. Noel Gallagher and his co host Matt Morgan rip the piss out of Russell ie. "why would anyone give you an award" and Noel says that the university probably wants publicity :p
    Russell read out part of an article about Will Ferrell receiving the James Joyce Award. Sounds like he's coming over to collect it :)

****ing hell. Be prepared for plenty of female students throwing themselves at this greaseball.:rolleyes: And he's such a tool, even Steve Tyler can take a pot shot at him.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Any update on this? I would be interested in making the trip if he was coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

After the Sachs-gate scandal, he should be told, like he should've been told the first time, to fcuk off!

I know the JJ award is just used as an excuse to get famous people to the college, but even then, many of the people they have brought in have done well in their chosen fields, without needing controversy to boost their ratings(read: ego).

Also, Manuel=funny, Russel Brand=tosser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id rather see Manuel then that transvestite toss pot .

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

As long as UCD (it may have been L&H or LawSoc) keeps their promise of bringing Philip Seymour Hoffman in front of my eyes by the end of the next semester, I will not care who the other guests are.The man is a underrated legend.:D

Brand is a genius at the top of his game..but do remember,this is the guy who came in dressed up as Osama Bin Laden the day after the 9/11 attacks.:mad:

Advertisement