Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 - Waterford City Bypass

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Kaizersoze, has to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Bards wrote: »
    yes, it's accross

Actually I think if you get a close look at the deck from the KK side you will find that its not connected yet, they are still working on the final section............:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yes, it's accross

Fully? The last time I was there (last week IIRC) both the bridge and the overpass had the foundations laid but no actual surface dressing of any kind? The main bridge on the Kilkenny side that is and the overpass that goes over the road we used to take to Limerick (and for a while, Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    Fully? The last time I was there (last week IIRC) it seemd both the bridge and the overpass had the foundations laid but no actual surface dressing of any kind?

well they certainly looked like they were doing a pour on the final section yesterday afternoon - Cable Stays are complete

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

well they certainly looked like they were doing a pour on the final section yesterday afternoon - Cable Stays are complete

On both the bridge and overpass? Might take a gander tonight or tommrow, whenever I get a chance.

I posted in another thread about a delivery of four very large pillars, used a site enterance on the N9 (just outside Grannagh) to deliver them. At least, they looked like pillars and were surrounded by jeeps with plenty of yellow flashing lights. They pulled in before the enterance, seemed to be adjusting the cables holding them down while the site enterance was open with one of the jeeps and workers standing around at the gate. Any ideas what they are for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

you will probably need a trip up the river by boat to be convinced but the deck of the main bridge is definitely not completed, there is a small section outstanding :(

Road-Hog wrote: »
    you will probably need a trip up the river by boat to be convinced but the deck of the main bridge is definitely not completed, there is a small section outstanding :(

You can see it fine if you park up on the Limerick side and walk down past the old limerick-waterford road. I assume those are site offices below the bridge with the lights at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Road-Hog wrote: »

Probably find the last bit doesnt fit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

found this on youtube some cool views of bypass and further on some structures on the waterford to knocktopher section of the m9http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCl-xkZcVM4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

deiseman21 wrote: »
    found this on youtube some cool views of bypass and further on some structures on the waterford to knocktopher section of the m9http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCl-xkZcVM4

what does he mean by an "inner" city train? Is he making a statement about the type of people on the train?:mad:
    I can tell you a lot worse clientele takes the Red Luas Line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

what does he mean by an "inner" city train? Is he making a statement about the type of people on the train?:mad:
    I can tell you a lot worse clientele takes the Red Luas Line.

I'd say maybe English isn't his first language? If he learned from Americans especially - he probably spells the word as he has heard them pronounce it.

Either way, I don't get the impression that there's any smart-alec comments going on here.

The view of the viaduct and merge lanes crossing the Blackwater is savage (04:00 in the video). A friend of mine said "de first time I drove undor dere, I tought I was in Houston or Miami boy, not Woaudorford!!!"

Looks like the main bridge is 95% done - small gap still needs filling. Second bridge just past it has a filling, but more needs to be done. I took pictures on my phone, will upload later.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

first sort of opening date for new bypass

http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=mhausngbid&cat=news

20th september 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

\0/

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

deiseman21 wrote: »
    first sort of opening date for new bypass

http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=mhausngbid&cat=news

20th september 2009

Wow! That's very soon. When they said 2009 earlier this year I thought they'd scrap it in by the very end of December.

Edit: Do they mean just the bridge (to pedestrians), or the whole bypass? It's not clear.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Wow! That's very soon. When they said 2009 earlier this year I thought they'd scrap it in by the very end of December.

Edit: Do they mean just the bridge (to pedestrians), or the whole bypass? It's not clear.

The whole bypass

signs have begun to appear, so that's always a promising sign:D

Noticed something as well... (and it's not off-topic, as the N9 realignment is under the bypass contract!)

The signs that have gone up to name the roundabouts are green for the Quarry Roundabout (N24/M9/N9 intersection), and green for the Grannagh Interchange (couldn't see the exact name, but I could see the colour).

However the signs on the Newrath Roundabout (the first one coming out of the city with Rice Bridge behind you) are white, rather than the green you would expect for a national road.

Does this mean the N9 will terminate at Grannagh?

fricatus wrote: »
    Noticed something as well... (and it's not off-topic, as the N9 realignment is under the bypass contract!)

The signs that have gone up to name the roundabouts are green for the Quarry Roundabout (N24/M9/N9 intersection), and green for the Grannagh Interchange (couldn't see the exact name, but I could see the colour).

However the signs on the Newrath Roundabout (the first one coming out of the city with Rice Bridge behind you) are white, rather than the green you would expect for a national road.

Certainly looks that way, they have put up a directional sign on thew New GSJ Grannagh Junction which clearly shows a white patched local road pointing towards Newrath anyone hazzard a guess what R number it will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

The whole bypass

signs have begun to appear, so that's always a promising sign:D

...not if there are green signs - the Waterford Bypass should be a motorway and that is that! What is the problem with the powers that be? - Maybe it's promises made to vested interests and developers so that in return for presents in brown envelopes, such developers can add a few slip roads off the N25 as short-cuts to their developments, thereby adding value and making more profit? :mad:

So Martin Cullen, why is the N25 Waterford Bypass not being redesignated as motorway??? - If it is too short, then so too is the 13km section of the N2 Finglas to Ashbourne Bypass which is being redesignated as of the 28th August - so once again, WHY??? :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mike65 wrote: »
    What are you on about?

What am I on about??? :confused:

The Waterford Bypass has not been redesignated as motorway - like it is the obvious thing to do in order to protect it as a proper bypass route?

The question is WHY is the road not being redesignated??? :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The newsletter linked to above says the N25 is opening in August 2010.... weird. They're 11 months ahead of schedule?? Is this Germany???
    I wouldn't worry about that. It's good news if true. I'm not a fan of national roads leading people directly into the centre of a city. This is an old-fashioned idea that comes from back when towns didn't have bypasses and also it encourages people to drive right into the centre which they shouldn't be doing.

I wouldn't worry about that. It's good news if true. I'm not a fan of national roads leading people directly into the centre of a city. This is an old-fashioned idea that comes from back when towns didn't have bypasses and also it encourages people to drive right into the centre which they shouldn't be doing.

I agree. The main thing is that the road from the city centre to the Grannagh interchange will be a decent dual carriageway.

Didn't the whole thing just revolve around funding anyway? If you have a national road running through your city, you could get national roads funding for that road and spend your local funds on other roads in the area.

Removing the national designation from the Grannagh DC means that it will be maintained under the local roads budget of Kilkenny County Council, doesn't it? :eek:

The newsletter linked to above says the N25 is opening in August 2010.... weird. They're 11 months ahead of schedule?? Is this Germany???.

All the documentation for the bypass was for a construction perdiod between 36 & 42 months. It started construction April 06. Therefore if finished at the end of September as advised it will have taken 41 Months to construct

The Govt/NRA just put an extra couple of months safety to the project when they published the completion date

All the documentation for the bypass was for a construction perdiod between 36 & 42 months. It started construction April 06. Therefore if finished at the end of September as advised it will have taken 41 Months to construct

The Govt/NRA just put an extra couple of months safety to the project when they published the completion date

Is the newsletter out of date? It seems to suggest that roads such as the one going to the port and ferrybank have opened (yet they were open ages) and also talks about the railway tunnel which has been in use for sometime now also.

Took a spin out last night the old Limerick - Waterford road that's closed, seems like big changes to where I usually walk but it was dark so couldn't see clearly. Plus there were loads of wild rabbits running around the place! I assume that road will re-open and there will be a slip road down by the old castle leading out onto the main Limerick road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

...not if there are green signs - the Waterford Bypass should be a motorway and that is that! What is the problem with the powers that be? - Maybe it's promises made to vested interests and developers so that in return for presents in brown envelopes, such developers can add a few slip roads off the N25 as short-cuts to their developments, thereby adding value and making more profit? :mad:

So Martin Cullen, why is the N25 Waterford Bypass not being redesignated as motorway??? - If it is too short, then so too is the 13km section of the N2 Finglas to Ashbourne Bypass which is being redesignated as of the 28th August - so once again, WHY??? :mad::mad::mad:

Its not lengths of motorway that the NRA are worried about apparently, its isolated stretches (though with the M9 this still doesnt make sense).

Certainly looks that way, they have put up a directional sign on thew New GSJ Grannagh Junction which clearly shows a white patched local road pointing towards Newrath anyone hazzard a guess what R number it will be?

(DRUM ROLL...)

R448 (!!!)

(God, we are such nerds! :D)

Signs going up on the Newrath Roundabout say so, at any rate. They also say "City Centre" rather than "Waterford". I wonder what the "not an inch" Kilkenny brethren will think of that! Anyone remember the fuss about the 30 mph "gateway" signs that said "Waterford"? They were changed later to say "Granny"*

* This is how "Grannagh" is pronounced locally, even though I think the spelling is supposed to be "-agh". It's a bit like writing "Talleh", "Clundaaken", "Blanch" , or indeed "Killoiney" on the official signs.

(DRUM ROLL...)

R448 (!!!)

(God, we are such nerds! :D)

Signs going up on the Newrath Roundabout say so, at any rate. They also say "City Centre" rather than "Waterford". I wonder what the "not an inch" Kilkenny brethren will think of that! Anyone remember the fuss about the 30 mph "gateway" signs that said "Waterford"? They were changed later to say "Granny"*

* This is how "Grannagh" is pronounced locally, even though I think the spelling is supposed to be "-agh". It's a bit like writing "Talleh", "Clundaaken", "Blanch" , or indeed "Killoiney" on the official signs.

Yep, I sure do remember big fuss the KK politicos made at the time. Where else would you get it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Yep, I sure do remember big fuss the KK politicos made at the time. Where else would you get it:rolleyes:

That part of Limerick in Clare maybe....??;)

Advertisement