Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 - Waterford City Bypass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Originally Posted by Bards viewpost.gif
    Certainly looks that way, they have put up a directional sign on thew New GSJ Grannagh Junction which clearly shows a white patched local road pointing towards Newrath anyone hazzard a guess what R number it will be?

Its the R448.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

6 hours too late im afraid :)
    see post 119

can somebody just answer me are the slip roads 1 or 2 lanes deep, Probably more of a problem then quarry or newrath r/b's will ever be

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Has an opening date/time been announced yet for this? I'm guessing it must be almost entirely finished at this stage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

21st of September is opening date apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

I thought I heard it was Fri 25th Sept. They are meant to be coordinating it with the Hot Air Balloon Championships.

• Advertisement

wellbutty wrote: »
    21st of September is opening date apparently

Nice one, that is good and soon. Won't feel that at all. Pity the M9 does not appear to be ready at the same time :( Bit silly considering it's the same contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

last sunday

DSCN4263.jpg

threw up another few, Iv got a question about the last one, does anyone know what cables they are bringing across there?

DSCN4264.jpg

DSCN4265.jpg

DSCN4267.jpg

DSCN4258-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most recent major road projects have fibre trunking along them, possibly connected to that. I'd also assume the bridge is going to be lit so it could be power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 21st of 25th of sept are definitely not going to be the opening dates.........met a 'butty' working on the job over the weekend, more like end of Oct/Early November.............the 'things' in the footpath in the photos are simply ducting for future use, be it ESB, telecom, fibre optics etc.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Road-Hog wrote: »
    met a 'butty' working on the job

I'm sure you did! ;) Could you care to explain why it wont be open in September?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 21st of 25th of sept are definitely not going to be the opening dates.........met a 'butty' working on the job over the weekend, more like end of Oct/Early November.............the 'things' in the footpath in the photos are simply ducting for future use, be it ESB, telecom, fibre optics etc.........

Between all your "butties" working on the M9/N25 I'm loosing track of them all ;), all with the same story.
    But as Tech 2 rightly asks an explanation as to why the project is delayed would be most useful for posters here. Seen as your friend has the inside track then it should be fairly simply explained.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Between all your "butties" working on the M9/N25 I'm loosing track of them all ;), all with the same story.
    But as Tech 2 rightly asks an explanation as to why the project is delayed would be most useful for posters here. Seen as your friend has the inside track then it should be fairly simply explained.

I just happen to know quite a few Civil Engineers working on various road jobs..........road won't open because it will simply not be finished, the mid september date from what I can gather was only ever an 'aspirational' one, other than that I don't know what is 'holding up' the opening but I'm sure there are good reasons, not everything runs smoothly on €250,000,000 type projects, have you not noticed the complexity of the suir bridge and all the other structures around Grannagh, there are something like 8-10 in that area alone

Yea I agree with the fact that the 25th of Septrember will be pushed well back, most bits south of the river are looking preety complete but a few of the structures on the north need a good bit more work to them. Cant remember the numbers but Il be out again before the end of the month and Il have a fuller report not just the Suir bridge.

Thanks for the answer on the ducting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

25th of September is 5 1/2 weeks away, give or take. Looking at this picture

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/hudsonriverboi/DSCN4265.jpg

Theres no way in hell it'll be done by then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

25th of September is 5 1/2 weeks away, give or take. Looking at this picture

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy36/hudsonriverboi/DSCN4265.jpg

Theres no way in hell it'll be done by then.

Its been that state for ages now. Its actually minor enough filling and a small stretch between there and the overpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

so, why are southlink recruiting and training staff with a view to a September opening???

http://www.southlink.ie/faq.html#13

What is the next stage in the recruitment process?

The recruitment process is being planned for July and August with training for successful applicants taking place in September consistent with the opening of the Project Road. Further updates on the completion of the Project Road will be posted on this website throughout the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

i also distinctly remember only 2 weeks ago ,an official (either from the project or city council) on the radio celebrating the fact the main span had reached grannagh,stating clearly that the road would open at the end of september.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bards wrote: »
    so, why are southlink recruiting and training staff with a view to a September opening???

http://www.southlink.ie/faq.html#13

What is the next stage in the recruitment process?

The recruitment process is being planned for July and August with training for successful applicants taking place in September consistent with the opening of the Project Road. Further updates on the completion of the Project Road will be posted on this website throughout the summer.

Training courses in a lot of customer facing / customer representative jobs are 4 weeks. I don't see how you could possibly need this long to be a toll collector, but...

Sully wrote: »
    Its been that state for ages now. Its actually minor enough filling and a small stretch between there and the overpass.

What makes you think its 'minor enough filling' remaining???

From the same good source I mentioned previously, there is still 'relatively major' work on the Suir Bridge, he mentioned stuff like 'water-proofing of the deck' (all 450m of it ) which is very weather dependent, surfacing, parapets, footpaths, railings, drainage system, lighting, lifting equipment within the pylon and something about a gantry underneath the deck, and this is just the suir bridge, there is still as previously stated a lot of work to be completed on a number of the structures around grannagh along with singage, a full road safety audit of the entire job from end to end and other 'paper-work' stuff between NRA and the Celtic Roads group most of which went over my head but all needs to be sorted prior to any traffic being allowed to flow.

With regard to the recruitment of staff I don't think it indicates a whole lot really, it wouldn't be the first time that a company has staff selected without a definite work commencment date, I'm sure in this climate if an umemployed person was offered a job which had an approximate start date of September and it didn't actually start until november they wouldn't be too upset, its not like they'll have lots of other offers??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think at this stage there is no point debating whether it takes 6 years, 6 days, or 6 months. Whether my source is better then yours, or whether your completely daft at suggesting you can tell by just taking a glimpse at the road how much work is left to do (afterall, one man has to walk every damn inch of it to make sure it meets standards did you know!).

We are all going to have to agree to disagree, wait and see who was right and who was wrong. Then point and laugh at those with egg on their face. At this stage, the topic swings and roundabouts and some folk seem to be getting a tad hot and bothered about it. (Its a god damn road lads!)

Agreed? Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

Does anybody have any pics of the Grannagh roundabout and connecting roads.. much progress there?

There was very little progress last I heard. :confused:

placard wrote: »
    Does anybody have any pics of the Grannagh roundabout and connecting roads.. much progress there?

Seems done to me, for sometime now. Signs on the roundabout up also.

Update from News & Star http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhkfcwauey&cat=news

Public will get chance to walk across new bridge
    By Gillian O’Neill

A ONCE in a lifetime chance to walk across Waterford’s iconic new bridge will be given to the people of the city and surrounding areas in advance of the opening of the €530m bypass in October.

A special Community Day when all residents of Waterford and South Kilkenny will be invited to come and walk the bridge is being planned as the final works on the bridge and adjoining road networks continue on schedule.

Project Liaison Officer, Tom Hartery, said a date for the official opening of the bypass and bridge had yet to be confirmed but said work was progressing well.

“I would say that on the Kilmeaden side, the work is around 98% complete. They are over there at the moment putting up road signage and crash barriers and that sort of thing but the road and the toll plaza are finished,” he confirmed.

“We are mainly concentrating on the Grannagh side at the moment which is where most of the remaining work needs to be done. The span of the bridge is now complete and they are currently waterproofing the deck and putting in services. Everything is on track and I don’t expect any delays in completing the project,” he added.

While October’s official opening will be an NRA function, Mr. Hartery said the Community Day would be a fantastic opportunity for people to come and see the bridge and walk from one side to the other before it opens for business.

“It will be a good chance for members of the public who have been inconvenienced and discommoded for the past three and half years to come along and see the end result first hand. This will be the only opportunity for pedestrians to have access to the bridge before it opens to vehicular traffic and we’ll be hoping everyone will come along and help mark a great event for Waterford,” he stated.

Meanwhile, the tolls for motorists planning on using the bridge were published this week by the National Roads Authority (NRA). The charge for motorbikes will be •1.00 while cars will be subject to a fee of •1.90. The cost for buses will be •3.40 while the tolls for vans and lorries range from •3.40 to •6.10 depending on size.

Mr. Hartery emphasised that road users would benefit from the extensive new road network attached to bridge but would only incur a charge on using the bridge.

“For instance, people will now be able to take the new road from the roundabout out beyond Slieverue and travel straight out on to the Dublin Road and they won’t incur any toll. For those who are crossing the river, there is still an alternative option of the existing bridge into the city centre. This is now also a much improved alternative as a result of the new road networks which are in place,” he stated.

Just looking at the Public notice for the bye-laws for the Toll, and it looks like the NRA fuped it up

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/TollingDocumentation/file,16564,en.pdf

anyone spot the error

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

anyone spot the error
    Copy & Paste :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just looking at the Public notice for the bye-laws for the Toll, and it looks like the NRA fuped it up

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/TollingDocumentation/file,16564,en.pdf

anyone spot the error

Haha, very good!

placard wrote: »

Check out Munurty's pictures from the M9 thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61074995&postcount=387

threw up another few, Iv got a question about the last one, does anyone know what cables they are bringing across there?

I heard, though I can't remember where, that the plan is to remove those horrendous pylons up on Bilberry hill and at the golf course on the other side of the river, and run the electricity lines via the new bridge.

Can anyone confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This will be the only opportunity for pedestrians to have access to the bridge before it opens to vehicular traffic and we’ll be hoping everyone will come along and help mark a great event for Waterford,” he stated.

Since this isnt a motorway, theres really nothing to stop anyone walking this whenever they want.

Advertisement