Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 - Waterford City Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Since this isnt a motorway, theres really nothing to stop anyone walking this whenever they want.

The section between the N9 and the Western Link (Outer Ring Road) will be open to motor vehicles only... see post #67:

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I think you should have a look clauses 8.1 and 8.2 on page 7 of the following document:

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/TollingDocumentation/file,16116,en.pdf

That's the section comprising the new bridge. Pedestrians, cyclists, etc., can, as you say, quite legally use the section from Kilmeaden to the Western Link, and also the section from the N9 to the old N25 (Slieverue) on the north side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

fricatus wrote: »
    Check out Munurty's pictures from the M9 thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61074995&postcount=387
    Excellent pics!!

Has there been much progress since then?
    Is the Slieverue section tied in with the main roundabout just before the bridge yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

I heard, though I can't remember where, that the plan is to remove those horrendous pylons up on Bilberry hill and at the golf course on the other side of the river, and run the electricity lines via the new bridge.

Can anyone confirm?

thats what I was hoping they where for!

thats what I was hoping they where for!

Steady on! Could still be wishful thinking on my part, but I'd swear I read it on Boards at some point, so maybe my source is out there, lurking! :D

Can anyone confirm that the horrible pylons are to go, and that the electricity lines are to be run across the new bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The section between the N9 and the Western Link (Outer Ring Road) will be open to motor vehicles only... see post #67:

That's the section comprising the new bridge. Pedestrians, cyclists, etc., can, as you say, quite legally use the section from Kilmeaden to the Western Link, and also the section from the N9 to the old N25 (Slieverue) on the north side.

clause 2 ses all users of a pubic road can use it subject to statutory limitations. Are byelaws "statutory"

Also the byelaws claim to ban pedestrians, pedal cyclists and animal drawn vehicles. so there's no ban on using a scooter( those with an engine and those without), using an invalid carrriage or motorised wheelchair, driving animals, riding horses etc on the road.

There is also no penalty for disregarding the byelaw. So it's actually allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Any updates on this scheme? Been a few weeks since i last heard anything.

Roryhy wrote: »
    Any updates on this scheme? Been a few weeks since i last heard anything.

All I've seen is little things day by day. I mostly go out the N9 anyway, so all I'll see is the activity up on the new flyovers, and you can't tell what's going on up there, at least not from down below.

The N9 dualler from the city out to Newrath is a real pain in the a55 at the moment, with only one lane open in either direction. It's practically finished; what are they waiting for? It's not part of the city bypass but it's being done under that project rather than the M9 project, so presumably all 4 lanes should open around the same time the bridge is opened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The N9 dualler from the city out to Newrath is a real pain in the a55 at the moment, with only one lane open in either direction

Totally agree,its being more or less ready for months with the only visible work being the 2new bustops installed at the Newrath end. In the morning in particular the 2nd lane inbound would help free up the traffic flow. Hopefully that 50 km/h limit will be disappearing along with the cones soon also...

With that accident on the Quay this morning holding inbound traffic up its great knowing in a few weeks the new brdge will be open for business:D

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Hopefully that 50 km/h limit will be disappearing along with the cones soon also...

Not likely.. with pedestrian footpaths on both sides of the road it'll stay 50k unfortunately. :(

I agree that the road cones should go.. no point in having them on the whole stretch up to newrath. Also what's the idea with the zig zagging from one lane to another.. I think someone's having a laugh!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Not likely.. with pedestrian footpaths on both sides of the road it'll stay 50k unfortunately. :(

I notice though that the new link road from the Newrath roundabout to the golf links road is 80km/h with footpaths either side also so fingers crossed the same thinking will happen with the Sallypark DC, although I wont be holding my breath.
    I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Found this picture of the bridge and thought i'd share it-
    www.flickr.com/photos/29223096@N03/3814979584/
    spaceball.gif
    spaceball.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

dont know if has been said before, but the regularity of the updates on the bypass website have been nothing more than atrocious at best. Although the quality of the gallery section has been good in fairness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Right well myself and stick-dan started at Grannagh and then headed to Mulinavat. Our plan is to go as far as Carlow at least over the next week or so. We were not allowed down to the bridge, security said they were working on it. See them all here: http://pix.ie/sully/album/354601

FC573B7745034CE1A636B8A4B894FB69-500.jpg
    The new min-bridge that goes over the old Waterford to Limerick Road.

C67171AA54C54417BAB918C3C0BC9E3F-500.jpg
    Just beyond the bridge to the new roundabout.

621B7CA8116748369547C303B0193C33-500.jpg
    New roundabout

1E969B47C9A24E53A0B5ACFF68FFEF60-500.jpg
    Towards Waterford

1E2D280B5A764438881C3908DCBFFA9E-500.jpg
    On that Limerick Road, just in a little garden the above photo was taken of the bridge.

NedNew reports in another thread that the bypass is due to open on 20 October:
    NedNew wrote: »
    I heard yesterday that this will open on October 20th.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62094488#post62094488

At last, a concrete date, and one that seems quite plausible. Anyone got confirmation or source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

At last, a concrete date, and one that seems quite plausible. Anyone got confirmation or source?

I just gave the site office a call, they say "before the end of the year". I mentioned the October 20th date, and they replied that there's "a lot of dates being branded about".

So I don't know, it could be October 20th, but I don't think they've decided on anything concrete yet.

Judging from what I saw last time I was up there, I'd wager it'll be open in early-mid November.

Any ideas when the bridge walk is taking place? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Interesting article regarding the construction of the Suir Cable-stay bridge (Pages 12 to 17) from Irish Concrete

http://www.irishconcrete.ie/uploadedFiles/Irish_Concrete_Federation/Concrete%20Today%20June%2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That's a quality article bards.

I heard that the bridge will be open to traffic in 4 weeks time. So October 20thish is looking more and more likely for a partial opening at least.
    Bards, Interesting article regarding the construction of the Suir Cable-stay bridge (Pages 12 to 17) from Irish Concrete

http://www.irishconcrete.ie/uploaded...0June%2009.pdf
    Good article, the project stats at the end give a good indication of the huge amount of work that was involved in the bypass i.e. over 60 structures!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any updates on possible opening dates ?

• Advertisement

mfitzy wrote: »
    Any updates on possible opening dates ?

October 20th seems to be the date that is being touted

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

The massive tower crane that built the suir bridge is being taken down today.

The n25 Waterford bypass is about to change from a constuction project into a finished road. We'll proabably look back and wonder how Waterford ever managed with only one bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'd be interested to see how New Ross copes now that the bottleneck of Waterford will be gone.

Also I want to see the New Ross bridge built as it'll probably be more spectacular than the Waterford one :D

I'd be interested to see how New Ross copes now that the bottleneck of Waterford will be gone.

Most of the delays in New Ross are caused by Waterford-bound commuter traffic from south Wexford. I doubt there'll be any change really.

Also I want to see the New Ross bridge built as it'll probably be more spectacular than the Waterford one :D

It will apparently be longer than the Waterford one all right, but will it be as impressive? Hehe, that's one for debate. Still though, it will be pretty cool to drive the eastern bit of the N25 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Some photos of the crane being dismantled this morning:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

And some more

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Slightly off-track (excuse the pun), but does anybody know if the Waterford and Suir Valley railway has been able to open up the section of line that was taken over by the development of the Waterford bypass?

I took the kids there earlier this year and they were hopeful of getting the track back to be able to re-lay their line at the end of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if they'll paint the concrete.

Slightly off-track (excuse the pun), but does anybody know if the Waterford and Suir Valley railway has been able to open up the section of line that was taken over by the development of the Waterford bypass?

I took the kids there earlier this year and they were hopeful of getting the track back to be able to re-lay their line at the end of the summer.

was on it last Sunday, and they say it will be open for next season (April 2010)

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll paint the concrete.

doubt it, If they paint once, they'll have to maintain it yearly otherwise it will look crap once the paint wears away

Advertisement