Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Rovers fill Tallaght on a regular basis next season?

• 03-09-2008 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of intent among many to make Friday's at Tallaght Stadium a regular next season. Just wondering if people reckon that it will trounce the gates of rival clubs? A reasonably good crowd shows up for the Tolka games and with it back where it belongs on the Southside how much can it improve? Furthermore will it be the start of the club's descent back to the top of Irish Football?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

67% average imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I wouldn't call Rover's attendances at Tolka reasonably good when compared to Cork or Derry's to be honest. I'd say they'll rise to near that of those 2 clubs but I don't think they'll be coming near to filling it. I don't believe that theres that many thousands of people who will religiously travel to Tallaght to support a club but not Drumcondra. It isn't that big a distance for someone who cares about a club. But they'll defo have bigger attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

To push 3000 in the northside is good IMO. Surely that can double?

Voltwad wrote: »
    To push 3000 in the northside is good IMO. Surely that can double?

Eh the Rovers average for this season and last is about a thousand and a half, where do you get these mad figures?

games against Cork, Bray, Bohs at home we're well over 2000. I've noticed that a lot of people seemed to have decided not to make the trip now because our season has dissolved into nothing

• Advertisement

games against Cork, Bray, Bohs at home we're well over 2000. I've noticed that a lot of people seemed to have decided not to make the trip now because our season has dissolved into nothing

Cork and Bohs was because of a very high away support. Unfortunately that won't double like the home support when the side moves to Tallaght. And that has been the average for a number of years to be fair, so I wouldn't say its because of how the season has gone.

I reckon the usual hardcore of 1000 will be there. Opposing fans should have big numbers for their first trip to The promise land, add maybe another 1000 to that and hopefully a couple of thousand new/returning fans. At least 3000-4000 at least?

I reckon the usual hardcore of 1000 will be there. Opposing fans should have big numbers for their first trip to The promise land, add maybe another 1000 to that and hopefully a couple of thousand new/returning fans. At least 3000-4000 at least?

That'd be about the number I was thinking too, yeah.

That's a start I reckon.. Bohs at home will be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

That's a start I reckon.. Bohs at home will be something special.

Magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol, the answer is very obviously a resounding no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Des wrote: »
    lol, the answer is very obviously a resounding no.
    Which is why they never should have been given the stadium to themselves. I don't want to start this whole argument again as I've already done it many times with mates who (like most people) didn't properly understand the situation, but why spend that much money to build the stadium and have it used only say a dozen and a half(ish) times a year when it could be of benefit to other sports?

I don't (and never will) understand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

This will be interesting to see really. I think it'll obviously depend on what sort of season Rovers have. They clearly don't have the funds to bring in decent enough players to push for the league or anywhere near that. Big crowds would bring in extra money to help get some better players in. However, will those crowds come in the interim period? Who knows? I think the first few games will bring in massive crowds though. I'm sure the FAI will fix it so Rovers Bohs is within the first few weeks. That will bring a full house no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't want to start this whole argument again

Yet you still brought it up?
    but why spend that much money to build the stadium and have it used only say a dozen and a half(ish) times a year when it could be of benefit to other sports?

It's not exclusively for senior 'soccer'. Rovers are anchor tenants in a municipally-owned stadium that can be used for other purposes.

And yes, it is old hat at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Shamrock Rovers Vs Dundalk

First game of the season , the stadium would definitely be full anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I personally know at least 6 people who have no interest in LoI football, who support an English team, who intend to make it a season ticket thing since the price of a ticket is roughly the cost of one game for us :)

I think there will be a big upsurge based on this anecdotal evidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

games against Cork, Bray, Bohs at home we're well over 2000.

:confused:

Outside of Bohs, I'd be surprised if we had 2000 at any home game this season. Not even in the cup and for some, not even reaching a thousand (845 recently). Still brought over 1,000 to Richmond.

It will be better than Tolka and added to that will be other incomes, less outgoings etc. etc., but no filling it consistently unless the performances on the pitch vastly improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Which is why they never should have been given the stadium to themselves. I don't want to start this whole argument again as I've already done it many times with mates who (like most people) didn't properly understand the situation, but why spend that much money to build the stadium and have it used only say a dozen and a half(ish) times a year when it could be of benefit to other sports?

And the fact that there wasnt enough space for a gah ground ruled them out although I believe it can be used junior gah games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Excuse the ignorance (I haven't seen the stadium or any pics since I left home 18 months ago), but what will the finished capacity be and what percentage will be seated/covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Excuse the ignorance (I haven't seen the stadium or any pics since I left home 18 months ago), but what will the finished capacity be and what percentage will be seated/covered?

Phase 1 6,000, finished 10,000 all seater, all covered.

I can assure you, the first half dozen games will be total sell outs, beyond that is up to how we market the club and whats happening on the pitch.

15 years ago we got 22,000 into the RDS for our first game there.....

• Advertisement

This post is the textbook "if you haven't got a clue what you are talking about, say nothing to prevent yourself looking like an idiot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

any pics of the stadium floating around?

dubmick wrote: »
    any pics of the stadium floating around?

www.srfcultrasforum.com has a thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I can assure you, the first half dozen games will be total sell outs, beyond that is up to how we market the club and whats happening on the pitch.

:D lol

gimmick wrote: »
    :D lol

A Cork fan lol at how any club is run?

Get a grip.

I lol at an eL fan thinking their club will get consecutive sell outs. Nothing got to do with how your club is run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A lot of people from Tallaght will turn up to the first few matches.

If the club can retain these fans then we will get large gates all next season.

A lot of people from Tallaght will turn up to the first few matches.

If the club can retain these fans then we will get large gates all next season.

I know that, you know that and Rovers through their research know that.

Interesting that the only two people scoffing are fans of failed entities, Shels and Cork. Maybe a bit more effort fixing your own clubs and less cynicism towords those being progressive and ambitious might be in order?

I lol at an eL fan thinking their club will get consecutive sell outs. Nothing got to do with how your club is run.

Nothing funny in thinking that there will be no problem whatsoever filling Tallaght for the first few games. I'm from Tallaght originally and am up there a lot. You'd be surprised at the positive reaction a Rovers' shirt gets, whether it's at 5-a-side, the pub or whatever.

As said, to sustain those gates depends on the football played and the continuing integration of the club in Tallaght.

• Advertisement

I know that, you know that and Rovers through their research know that.

Interesting that the only two people scoffing are fans of failed entities, Shels and Cork. Maybe a bit more effort fixing your own clubs and less cynicism towords those being progressive and ambitious might be in order?

Whatever. Failed entity? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Failed entity indeed. Your memory is clearly a season and a half old.

Whatever. Failed entity? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, you are correct. That roaring commercial success that is in the High Court scrambling to survive. Not for the first time.

How silly of me. :rolleyes:

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Failed entity indeed. Your memory is clearly a season and a half old.

And your point?

We were the ones who acknowledged it was a basket case, stepped in and ran the thing right. We are now seeing the fruits of that approach and the risk we took removing the previous board.

You still have a Byrne running the same business model and are scratching around the 1st with the impending prospect of eviction and no other stadium lined up.

So because your club has been run right, or so ye say, for the last few months you now have the right to pontificate?

Enjoy your brand new stadium. Enjoy the croke park esque type crowds ye will get. I hope ye won't forget about us plebs when ye are on top of the world challenging for European honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Enjoy your brand new stadium. Enjoy the croke park esque type crowds ye will get.

Even if only two thousand new fans from Tallaght stay to regularly watch the team, it will be a huge improvement.

I'm not expeting ten thousand at each match, but there will be a significant increase, which will help Rovers challenge.

• Advertisement

No one says any differently. Shams with a proper base is a scary prospect for the rest of the league in theory.

Talk of consective sell outs is nonsense though. And this is from a CCFC fan who are "bestest supported team in the league ever".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

At least there will be no problem getting a cab in Tallaght at 10pm on a friday night:D

I think it will be a huge success. I'm sure there are plenty of "Non Nationals" in Tallaght looking for something to identify themselves with. If Tallaght egt behind the place I can see them getting a few thousand extra.

I'm looking forwar to going myself, I have to otherwise my brother inlaw will never forgive me (and yes, he's a taxi driver by the way):D

No one says any differently. Shams with a proper base is a scary prospect for the rest of the league in theory.

Talk of consective sell outs is nonsense though. And this is from a CCFC fan who are "bestest supported team in the league ever".

Rovers still get a hardcore of 900-1000 now after the TD court case, relegation, examinership, and 21 years without a ground. As well as interested newcomers, there is probably a large number of disgruntled hoops that will come back into the fold.

Also bear in mind that is not a move out to a suburb with zero historical support; rovers have always drawn support from Tallaght anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think it will be a huge success. I'm sure there are plenty of "Non Nationals" in Tallaght looking for something to identify themselves with.
    Doesn't work out here. The town is flooded with foreigners and still the support base is all locals. I'd like it if the club made some moves to get foreigners into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Doesn't work out here. The town is flooded with foreigners and still the support base is all locals. I'd like it if the club made some moves to get foreigners into the ground.

Yeah, obviously the club need to do a bit of work, maybe sign a Nigerian or two :D, but it could work for them. (Kanu only has a year left on his contract;))

There are a lot of people living within a fifteen minute walk of the ground, most of whom have probably never been to a LOI game before. The potential is massive.

• Advertisement

Yeah, obviously the club need to do a bit of work, maybe sign a Nigerian or two :D, but it could work for them. (Kanu only has a year left on his contract;))

There are a lot of people living within a fifteen minute walk of the ground, most of whom have probably never been to a LOI game before. The potential is massive.

To be honest, I would say most of them have a home team and a premiership team. And with the amount of televised football around, I reckon they're happy enough.

What will really (hopefully) set the ball rolling is when the kids of settled immigrants start filtering into senior football here. I'm sure there are loads at junior level already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

An away trip to Shamrock Rovers......In Tallaght!!! Sounds like a lovely friday evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

We currently have an Irish player of Nigerian descent, an Aussie and a Romanian on the books and still there's been no noticeable increase in the attendances by those groups.

Have more Poles started going to Pats since they signed Bialek?

This post is the textbook "if you haven't got a clue what you are talking about, say nothing to prevent yourself looking like an idiot"
    I'm sorry if I offend you(actually, no I'm not), but I can assure you I am one of few people who actually do have a clue what the whole thing is about.

Slightly OT but all the bull***t complaining about Thomas Davis really pisses me off. Stupid sensationalist comments like "TD single-handedly trying to kill Irish League football" have pushed my buttons for too long, and it seems to me that if you aren't actually involved in Thomas Davis, you just don't see what the whole story was about.

I'm sorry if I offend you(actually, no I'm not), but I can assure you I am one of few people who actually do have a clue what the whole thing is about.

Slightly OT but all the bull***t complaining about Thomas Davis really pisses me off. Stupid sensationalist comments like "TD single-handedly trying to kill Irish League football" have pushed my buttons for too long, and it seems to me that if you aren't actually involved in Thomas Davis, you just don't see what the whole story was about.

What will Thomas Davis do now, do they have any plans for a ground? I take it they're stuck playing in a public park somewhere these days?

You admitted in your original post that you didn't understand the story, and it was clear from your post that you don't.

That stadium will be used practically every day for a variety of sports and other cultural activities, despite the Gah propaganda that its a 'free stadium for Rovers'.

TD stated that they were trying to kill off Rovers and then spent a fortune of Gah money dragging a nusiance suit out as long as possible. What bit of the story are we missing?

bohsman wrote: »
    What will Thomas Davis do now, do they have any plans for a ground? I take it they're stuck playing in a public park somewhere these days?
    They have a brand new all-weather pitch on the Kiltipper Rd. which confirms the fact that TD never wanted the pitch themselves, they wanted the pitch open to all sports.
    TD stated that they were trying to kill off Rovers and then spent a fortune of Gah money dragging a nusiance suit out as long as possible. What bit of the story are we missing?

What?

Anyway I'm not gonna sit here all day with this "you dont know the story" "no you dont know the story" crap.

They have a brand new all-weather pitch on the Kiltipper Rd. which confirms the fact that TD never wanted the pitch themselves, they wanted the pitch open to all sports.

It is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm sorry, but if you think Thomas Davis really wanted a full size pitch for their use there, then you evidently don't know what it's about.

A full-sized GAA pitch would not fit in the ground as is - you would have knock into the neighbouring school. Thomas Davis' entire motive was to delay Rovers moving in so that the youth of Tallaght did not have...and I quote "a diet of association football". A delaying tactic to cripple Rovers financially - "between Rovers and the GAA, we know who'll be the last man standing". To say nothing of banning a TD from their clubhouse because of his support for Rovers.

On top of this, the delays sought solely by TD in the court case - in one case an entire year for no legitimate reason which the judge threw out and having read the entire cases put before the Judicial Review in which the judge got pissed off with the crap the TD counsel put forward numerous times, TD had no sporting interest in that stadium.

Period.

As said, it is open to all sports except senior gaelic grades because the pitch would have been too big.

SDCC could allow caber-tossing in there if it's physically practical and they see fit.

TD (with the support of the DCB) ostensibly wanted the ground to accommodate inter-county games, but really they just didn't want a rovers youth set-op poaching local kids from the 'true faith' of gaelic sports.

• Advertisement
Advertisement