Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Rovers fill Tallaght on a regular basis next season?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

stovelid wrote: »
    As said, it is open to all sports except senior gaelic grades because the pitch would have been too big.

Plenty of sports that couldnt really be accomodated, the gah could at least play on a smaller pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bohsman wrote: »
    Plenty of sports that couldnt really be accomodated, the gah could at least play on a smaller pitch.

Anything can be played that is physically practical.

The argument here though is that 'all sports' is shorthand for Gaelic senior grades not being (able to be) accommodated.TD/DCB/GAA hardly care about anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"I'm confident that in any bout with Rovers that the GAA will be the last man standing," David Kennedy, Thomas Davis, February 10, 2006.

Thomas Davis and five other GAA clubs tried to keep Rovers out of Tallaght, they failed. Their stated aim was to keep football out - there can be no debate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

They have a brand new all-weather pitch on the Kiltipper Rd. which confirms the fact that TD never wanted the pitch themselves, they wanted the pitch open to all sports.

You have inadvertantly stumbled on the key point here. TD stated they had no intention of ever using the facility yet went to the High Court anyway.

Its up to each individual reader whether that action was taken;

A:The Gah decided to take on a case at significant expense to themselves in a selfless manner to clarify a matter of public concern.

B: It was a vindictive, nasty, vitriolic campaign to 'get' football that backfired dramatically and was a salutary lesson for the Gah about their loss of political power in the capital.

Anyway I'm not gonna sit here all day with this "you dont know the story" "no you dont know the story" crap.

Sorry, who started this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You have inadvertantly stumbled on the key point here. TD stated they had no intention of ever using the facility yet went to the High Court anyway.

Its up to each individual reader whether that action was taken;

A:The Gah decided to take on a case at significant expense to themselves in a selfless manner to clarify a matter of public concern.

B: It was a vindictive, nasty, vitriolic campaign to 'get' football that backfired dramatically and was a salutary lesson for the Gah about their loss of political power in the capital.

hhmmm, let me guess which one you would opt for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The whole thing seemed completely stupid to me. I have never come across a court case about improved sporting facilities for an area. It seems like a no brainer to me.

What I can't understand though, is how some clubs, such as my local ones, can live together in what appears to be complete harmony. Cuala and Dalkey united share a ground (Not a pitch) very successfully.

I wonder how much of this was TD as a whole and how much was some egotistical idiot with a chip on his shoulder.

Still, good news for all. Hopefully when the ground is fully completed, we may see some Ireland U21 games there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wish Dublin City Council would take a leaf out of SDCCs and FCCs books and build a stadium too. Somewhere within the city limits.

I wonder how much of this was TD as a whole and how much was some egotistical idiot with a chip on his shoulder.

Word round the campfire was that Kennedy in TD was planning on making a run for Gah president. If TD won, he was the guy who gave football a black eye, and politically that would have gone down well in the north and pockets of rural Gah land as he would be seen as the man to bring them back to the 50's. There is a lot of anger with Kelly and him dragging the Gah into the 20th century, nevermind the current century, out there.

The rest of the Dublin clubs backed him because he would be a very powerful enemy if he won and they hadn't supported him and equally as many were happy to see him destroy his Gah political ambitions with this frivilious case.

Meanwhile the Gah enters its 14th year sitting on 60 acres in Rathcoole given to them by the council....

Des wrote: »
    I wish Dublin City Council would take a leaf out of SDCCs and FCCs books and build a stadium too. Somewhere within the city limits.

They already own one. Tolka Park. Why would they want to build another one?

• Advertisement

Because Tolkla Park is falling down, and cannot be developed into a proper UEFA standard stadium.

Because Tolkla Park is falling down, and cannot be developed into a proper UEFA standard stadium.

Its falling down because you let it fall down.
    Now you expect DCC to build you another one?

Don't get me wrong here, DCC have failed to preserve their asset, but the idea that you broke Tolka and should be given another stadium as a reward is probably not the line to take with them.

There is no reason why Tolka could not have been maintained properly and improved other than lack of ambition.

Its falling down because you let it fall down.
    Couldn't afford to maintain it, still can't.

Remember. Our debts weren't wiped by revenue.
    Now you expect DCC to build you another one?
    SDCC gave Rovers one.

Anyway, no, I don't expect DCC to provide for Shelbourne, but I do expect them to provide sporting facilities for their citizens.
    Don't get me wrong here, DCC have failed to preserve their asset, but the idea that you broke Tolka and should be given another stadium as a reward is probably not the line to take with them.
    But Shamrock sold their place for development, and then got a stadium off SDCC? Is that not what happened. Doesn't matter who was in charge of the club. The club sold it's ground, was left with nothing, and got a new one for free.
    There is no reason why Tolka could not have been maintained properly and improved other than lack of ambition.
    You DO know there is a river on one side of the stadium, yes? Also, there is no room for development. Why do you think the New Stand is only half a stand? No planning permission for the ground behind the chipper.

Proper access cannot be provided onto the Richmond Road, nor into the river, nor into the back gardens either at the Drumcondra End or the Ballybough End.

Yes, it could have been maintained, but it cannot be developed.

Couldn't afford to maintain it, still can't.

Remember. Our debts weren't wiped by revenue. .

And will you be able to maintain a new one, thats my point?

SDCC gave Rovers one.

Anyway, no, I don't expect DCC to provide for Shelbourne, but I do expect them to provide sporting facilities for their citizens.

But Shamrock sold their place for development, and then got a stadium off SDCC? Is that not what happened. Doesn't matter who was in charge of the club. The club sold it's ground, was left with nothing, and got a new one for free..

Are you the Gah now? That sort of crap could have been lifted of hoganstand.com Not what happened and well you know it.

Did we strike a good deal with the SDCC, yes. Are we grateful? Of course. All I'm saying is that if Shels want a similar deal, you will have to try a lot harder than "We broke Tolka cos we mismanaged our money, give us another stadium".
    You DO know there is a river on one side of the stadium, yes? Also, there is no room for development. Why do you think the New Stand is only half a stand? No planning permission for the ground behind the chipper.

Proper access cannot be provided onto the Richmond Road, nor into the river, nor into the back gardens either at the Drumcondra End or the Ballybough End.

Yes, it could have been maintained, but it cannot be developed.

The new stand is half a stand because you couldn't buy all the back gardens. You tried remember.

The point is Tolka was once a fine stadium and you let it collapse and now you seem to expect the council will reward you for that. What makes you think the corpo will replace Tolka btw?

What makes you think the corpo will replace Tolka btw?

er...show me where I even remotely say I think they will?

Advertisement