Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fring - N95 - Meteor - Data Charges?

• 03-09-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Got an N95 8GB on Meteor Bill Pay last week and the salesman in the shop recommended that I take a data package also because it would be easy to run up a huge bill with this model. So I took his advice and I get 250mb for €9.99 a month. Does anyone how much data Fring uses up? Even a ballpark figure because I don't want to exceed my limit.

Oh ya and actually while I'm here, the Nokia Maps GPS also? Does anyone know how much that costs?

Thanks in advance!

Im also on Talk 300 if thats any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Fair dues for actually listening and taking his advice!! I have a guy who decided not to go for the add on, used only 30megs of data, and had a bill of 600e. Safe to say, he now got the add on! :)

You'd really have to try hard to pass 250. Most heavy usage for websites (bar YouTube) will struggle to get over that. Nokia Maps usage depends on the size of the map you are downloading. You'll see a counter in the corner saying how big, in kb, the map is when it's downloading.

Best advice I can give you is to check your usage on www.meteor.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nokia maps doesn't download maps on the fly. You install your maps and it only references those maps you have on your handset. If you have A-gps then it will use very small amounts of data to find your initial position.
    chrislad wrote: »
    Fair dues for actually listening and taking his advice!! I have a guy who decided not to go for the add on, used only 30megs of data, and had a bill of 600e. Safe to say, he now got the add on! :)

You'd really have to try hard to pass 250. Most heavy usage for websites (bar YouTube) will struggle to get over that. Nokia Maps usage depends on the size of the map you are downloading. You'll see a counter in the corner saying how big, in kb, the map is when it's downloading.

Best advice I can give you is to check your usage on www.meteor.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Fairly unlikely.

Boards and bebo mobile sites shouldn't use more than a MB or two in a day, even if you're loading lots of pictures. The mobile version of bebo for example scales down images for you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

elderlemon wrote: »
    Nokia maps doesn't download maps on the fly. You install your maps and it only references those maps you have on your handset. If you have A-gps then it will use very small amounts of data to find your initial position.

It downloads your maps if you haven't installed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's very easy for a single web page to eat up a half a meg of data. Before boards mobile I noticed this regularly on the normal boards pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I assume that an app like fring can be also used through a wi-fi connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

ablelocks wrote: »
    I assume that an app like fring can be also used through a wi-fi connection?

Ya sure it can be. But not always around a Wi-Fi connection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

If you go to the Fring forum there was a post about how much data it uses for voice per minute and for messaging and while it just sits in the background. I'm sure you can find it via search -- that would give you a firmer idea. I think persoanally for regular usage you'd be hardpressed to reach 750MB given that voice over gprs or 3g on Fring is pretty undependable.

Advertisement