Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anybody enjoy learning to drive?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Or is it a total nightmare for everyone? I want to be able to drive but I'm hating the learning part.

The car stalling at junctions and the traffic lights, trouble with parking, having to concentrate so hard all the time....learner driver hell:(

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's all about the tood buddy.
    Look on the sunny side of it you know? I know it sucks. It sucked when I started too. But just work on being calm enough. So what if you slow down some beeping wanker for a few seconds while you are getting the proper tutelage to be a better driver than he will ever be. I know it all seems a little mad at the start, and its hard to keep eyes on the road with all the grinding noises, flashy lights and scary things on the dashboard, but it does get better very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You have to start somewhere, there's always going to be frustration no matter what you're learning. Personally i enjoyed learning to drive, i might not have been looking forward to the whole driving test point of it, but it was a goal to set for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The cost of the lessons is more than I can comfortably afford (I've done 8).

I've done the last 2 lessons in my own car so my instructor doesn't have the dual control any more which means I have to concentrate even harder.

Then there was the first instructor upsetting me with comments about my appearance (other thread).

Sometimes I feel I'm being a danger to myself and others.

I didn't care so much if the car stalled or I was being completely stupid in the instructors car, it is clearly a vehicle for lessons so too bad if it was annoying anyone. But in my own car with just ordinary L plates it feels much worse because most people with L plates have probably been driving a bit longer than me and appear more capable.

It's difficult to get the appointments for lessons too, my instructor is really booked up.

I won't have any positive memories of this whole learning to drive experience (apart from the excellent advice on here). It bothers me that people posting replies here seem to care more about learner drivers than the people we are paying to teach us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a really really lovely instructor and am making alright progress (9 lessons and counting...) but still don't enjoy it. It's such a responsibility to be in control of a car and the thought of heavy traffic, box junctions, changing lanes etc makes me a bit dizzy. I kind of start to enjoy the lesson a bit when I'm not worrying and just 'lose myself in the moment' so to speak but for the time being I think anyone who says "it's a lovely day, I might go out for a nice drive" should be quietly led away somewhere safe where they will get the medical treatment they clearly need. If I ever become such a person, I will post here and eat humble pie. :o

Do any other learners here find the idea of being Able To Drive an almost unachievable goal? I'm grand enough for the hour, my teacher collects me, it's not as terrifying as it once was but the thought of ever getting in my OWN car ALONE to pop down the shops or something is very daunting. The thought of me driving along, relaxed, listening to the radio is at the moment as improbable as me flying a jumbo jet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I loved learning to drive and driving in general, as long as you go at your own pace it should be fun, eg if you are prone to stalling you shouldnt be out on the roads where you might be nervous.

Head to an empty car park and you'll be able to go at your own speed, perfecting things such as clutch control and parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

I have to say I found it nerve wrecking at the beginning. But it's all about being confident in yourself and to be honest loads of practice.

Of couse I didn't need a passanger with a full licence when I did mine but if you can at all get someone (friend prob pref to a parent!) to sit in with you while you're practising do that. It really compounds what you learn.

Hang in there - you know that riding a bicycle saying - eventhough you don't think it now, it will fall into place and you'll be laughing.

Btw, like what Holsten said try driving in Industrial estates or large open spaces with no other traiffic to practice gaining control of the car - that'll help with you confidence :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Its really strange, one day you will get into the car and just drive automatically without thinking.

You will get to your destination and realise you have got there without thinking.

its all about practise, no one likes learning to driving there is so much to think about but if you keep you the leesons you will be fine.

my mum learned to drive at 50, she was the most nervous driver in the world, now she is flying around (3 years later) and not even thinking about it. she would got out of her way to avoid roundabouts and sometimes traffic lights. It is really about confidence and practise. hold in there, i will be so worth it

Caderyn wrote: »
    but the thought of ever getting in my OWN car ALONE to pop down the shops or something is very daunting. (

+1

I really want to be able to do that though, it is the whole point of being able to drive after all.

Holsten wrote: »
    if you are prone to stalling you shouldnt be out on the roads where you might be nervous.

I only stalled once in 7 lessons in the instructors car. Then when I did yesterday's lesson in my own car it happened twice so I was really annoyed with myself. Instructor said it happened because the areas I was in were very busy and the extra pressure of the fairly heavy traffic was making me nervous.
    irishbird wrote: »
    Its really strange, one day you will get into the car and just drive automatically without thinking.

You will get to your destination and realise you have got there without thinking.

its all about practise, no one likes learning to driving there is so much to think about but if you keep you the leesons you will be fine.

my mum learned to drive at 50, she was the most nervous driver in the world, now she is flying around (3 years later) and not even thinking about it. she would got out of her way to avoid roundabouts and sometimes traffic lights. It is really about confidence and practise. hold in there, i will be so worth it

Thanks hun, that's inspiring. I've probably reached the point where I'd give up due to fustration but I've bought the car already so giving up isn't an option.

I know I'm doing ok, I'm not nervous but I'm so conscious of all the mistakes I make.

I'm hoping that after a few more lessons I'll see a big improvement.

Thanks for all the support on here, it really does make me feel better.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

everyone makes mistakes when they are learning something new - as long as it isnt a life threatening situation - its is okay to make mistakes.

If you stall your car, so what and you see the fecker behind you beeping, just ignore him, he was a learner at one point too.

LOL, just thinking i stall my car at the donnybrook junction, taking the right hand turn into the RDS. I couldnt get it going for about 10 mins, there was loads of people going mental beeping away behind me - i can laugh about it now but at the time, it was horrible.

or the classic, going into the multi-story car park in Cineworld and stalled the car at the very stop of the first ramp, this thing is at a 45 degree angle. i had some fecker about 2mm away from rear bumper, so any roll back whatsoever and i was going straight into him. This was the first day i got my car. Anyhoo, he started beeping and shouting at me. i just turned the engine off for about 5 mins and had a cigerette and then then done a perfect hill start . i didnt go in to a multi story for about a year after that and now still get scared at the first ramp

the main thing is to hell with people getting annoyed at you for stalling the car or being slow, you have you L's up and people should be backing away and giving you space and if they dont they are the idiots.

just remember check your mirrors before you pull out and dont sit in yellow box oh and watch out for those good damn cyclists.

other then that, there is nothing to worry about, big deep breaths before you start off and away you go.

you will get there

dont give up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I hated learning at first as I was very nervous and awkard ... but as the lessons went on and I got more comfortably I got to like and enjoy the learning process more and more.

I was 30 when I finally bit the bullet and put the excuses for not learning to one side and now my only regret is not going for it years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

To those people who were worried about stalling:

I had about 8 lessons, and two lessons ago, I was going through a busy town at rush hour, bumper to bumper, and of course I cut out, and after a few attempts, i was still in the same position. Then the guy behind me beeped at me, I looked through the rear view mirror, and noticed that he was on his mobile....
    So I said to myself, I'm not going to be intimidated by a stupid fcuker who's on his mobile, I started straight away, and I've never stalled since..

Even if you drive at 60K in a 60K zone, you'll have pissed off drivers passing you out, so even when you do things right, they're still not happy with you.

point to remember, the people who beep you are just ignorant people who are are bad drivers anyway.Do you think you're going to let them stop you from reaching your full potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I love driving, The only thing about learning that i dont like is the fact ya dont have freedom, ye go were yer told and thats it. Learnign to drive is like any other thing ye have to learn. you learn more from mistakes then achievements.

This is like a support group for learners. :)
    We should all meet up and go for a drive! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭SeanW

FWIW OP I didn't enjoy my learning experience either. Between getting my driving *just perfect* (with a useless driving school) >_< and all the nonsense needed with driving tests, waiting lists, repeat tests after flunking, papers for this that and the other :( it wasn't easy.

From the time I could hold an engine running, I could scarecely wait to trade in my green provisional (even though I learned on the magical 2nd provisional) for the full 'pinky.'

Keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I'm actually finding it fun but it's only been a few months so the shine has yet to wear off. I like the challenge of trying to do better and learn to not just drive but be a good driver. I know it takes years to become one but I'm trying my best. Sometimes i feel bad when i make a mistake but i think thats normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i dont think anybody really enjoys it, but you have to learn for six months and it is a pain in the but. but its really nice when you get your full licence, just keep at it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Caderyn wrote: »
    This is like a support group for learners. :)
    We should all meet up and go for a drive! :D:D

Don't stall in setting this up...:pac:

I'll get my coat..

Don't stall in setting this up...:pac:
    Hehe, punny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

When I was learning I found it much easier during the Spring when you can drive in daylight in the evening. When I first learned to drive in the winter I struggled but a few months later I was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I enjoyed most categories but absolutely hated the motorcyce bit. It just seemed like such a silly way to get around. I failed the test first time around and was going to forget about it but Mrs Wishbone Ash gave me the encouragement that I needed. Passed it second time around and said to myself that hopefully I'll never have any use for this ridiculous method of transport! :D

I still cannot think of anything positive to say about motorcycles! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

Learning to drive is a tricky one.................some people take to it like a duck to water and it takes other people months and months.

I personally learned pretty quick and passed my test after 5 weeks driving so my only advice would be drive as much as possible, everyday if you can at the start even if its only for 20 mins or so.

The constant concentration gets much easier too.

A car is independance and once you have one you wont go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I found learning to drive difficult at times. I often came home with splitting headaches and when one thing went wrong, like if I stalled, everything would go wrong over and over. It even happened in my test. I brushed off the curb when reversing around the corner so I asked if I could do it again. Then I stalled. I just laughed and said to my tester that when one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong and carried on. The bumping off the curb and a mark for observation ended up being the only marks on my sheet.

If you're finding it difficult during a lesson just take a deep breath and carry on. You're learning a new skill so it's going to be difficult at times. Everyone would be at it if it was easy! Just stay positive and focus on the end result - the freedom of having your full licence, and how proud you'll be when you pass. Or even how proud you'll be when you master something you couldn't do before. I still excitedly text my boyfriend and family when I do something for the first time even though I passed my test two months ago. Driving is constantly a learning experience and you'll always face challenges so just smile and make the most of it that you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jodyanne

Before passing my test, I didn't enjoy it at all - I was too conscious all the time of the test date (dates!) looming.

But now that I'm fairly competent and I have my full license, I'm enjoying learning how to be a better driver, if you know what I mean. I like the feeling of good technique becoming habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

ah dont worry. After my first lesson my legs were wobbly!! it is very nerve wrecking.i got 10 lessons first in an instrutors car. Then started driving on my own in my car...there are serveral times that i was close to crashing to someone or make someone crash into me due to just too nervous. but slowly it'll go away.and you'll be more comfortable and calm. Road experience is what people really need and you'll gain that from driving all over the place. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

Yes, I find that learning to drive has been the hardest thing I've ever had to master - forget the leaving cert and college degrees!!

I've had 9 lessons with a pretty poor instructor (only realise that now) with whom I made little progree, easiest 360 euros he ever made! Then 6 lessons with an excellent instructor but as he's told me and i know I;m way to over cautious and nervous in the car!

I'm not doing lessons at the moment just getting road experience, it doesnt help nerves either having a screaming man in the passenger seat who thinks everything you do is wrong!! I' m waiting on the test:eek:. everybody says its so easy, you're thinking about it too much, it comes naturally! No way - you're hurtling along in what is basically a metal box at 100mph with lots of other metal boxes!! Stepping into your car is the most dangerous thing you do each day!

So ya learning to drive is super hard, can only hope it gets easier as time goes on and that certain drivers can have just an extra bit of patience without constantly having to overtake when you are going at the speed limit and stop creeping up your backside. Most are patient but a L sign to some is like a red rag to a bull!

Susyblue wrote: »
    everybody says its so easy, you're thinking about it too much, it comes naturally! No way - you're hurtling along in what is basically a metal box at 100mph with lots of other metal boxes!! Stepping into your car is the most dangerous thing you do each day!

So ya learning to drive is super hard, can only hope it gets easier as time goes on!

Thank you susy, I'm so glad to hear someone else say they're finding it hard. You are right, almost everyone says it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Mostly yes, I do enjoy it, I like now being able to understand how a car works and so on, and I have a lot more respect for driving! However, I do occasionally get the "oh my god, I'm in charge of this car and responsible for the safety of it, me, the passanger and everyone else on this road" thoughts and feel a bit scared, but these were mainly in the beginning. I think one of the big difficulties though is I'm no longer used to learning things formally (I finished college 3 years ago) and it is hard to feel that someone is constantly observing and instructing you - which can sometimes feel like criticism of you, if you're not in the best of moods or whatever. So it does take some getting used to, it's like being back to primary school or something! Also, what I found hard was failing my test - I've never failed an exam at school or college and so it was a bit of a dint in my pride to fail my first driving test. But overall, driving is a skill that I really really want to have and I do enjoy most of the learning process.

Off topic and a bit nosy, but to the person who posted about the motorbikes; may I ask why you learned and sat a test for motorbikes if you hate them so much and never intend to use one again? Was it for the challenge of it? Or did you only hate them once you'd learned how to drive one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fiona-f wrote: »
    Off topic and a bit nosy, but to the person who posted about the motorbikes; may I ask why you learned and sat a test for motorbikes if you hate them so much and never intend to use one again? Was it for the challenge of it? Or did you only hate them once you'd learned how to drive one?
    Yes, it was for the challenge. I had all the other categories so I decided to finish it off! :)

(I had ridden bikes before and even had one for a while but that was when I was a lot younger.)

• Advertisement

I had all the other categories so I decided to finish it off!
    Show off. :p

Advertisement