Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anybody enjoy learning to drive?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Susyblue wrote: »
    everybody says its so easy, you're thinking about it too much, it comes naturally! No way - you're hurtling along in what is basically a metal box at 100mph with lots of other metal boxes!! Stepping into your car is the most dangerous thing you do each day!

TBH, I think that's an excellent attitude to have. I would advise those still new to driving to remember this sensation. Be able to recall it when in six/twelve months time you catch yourself getting comfortable and complacent behind the wheel.

I'm not saying that it's good to be overcautious, but it's a lot better than being undercautious! I'd rather have a nervous learner in front of me than a road-going lunatic behind me any day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

True. I'm fairly cautious but I don't mind being so because a car is such a responsibility.
    It's the mind numbing terror I'm working hard to overcome! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm quite enjoying learning to drive! Hill starts are still a total pain in the arse especially when i'm first at the traffic lights and i hate the people who blare the horn about a millisecond after the lights go green. But I still love driving!

There are some very stressful moments of course - on saturday I accidentally tried moving off and turning a corner in 3rd without noticing I was in 3rd and kept stalling in the middle of a junction where my dad had given me the wrong directions anyway and then started shouting about me not moving. So naturally I started crying! :rolleyes: The other drivers were very nice though, perhaps because they could see the confusion and terror in my face. That was great fun. *sigh*

But other than that I'm loving it! I'm still nowhere near the stage where I'd be able to get into a car on my own but I'm doing pretty well I think. Driving almost everyday with my dad and i have 8th lesson with my instructor tomorrow! YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

keep at it fon.

the stressful moments don't stop but they'll soon turn into you getting stressed at other people's actions on the road :P
    especially when i'm first at the traffic lights and i hate the people who blare the horn about a millisecond after the lights go green. But I still love driving!
    i'm lienent on learners for this but if it's a dude shaving or a girl doing makeup the horn will come out sharpish :D

keep at it and you'll be flying to the shops for the parents in no time (i think that's the reason they taught me how to drive :().

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Cremo wrote: »
    keep at it fon.

the stressful moments don't stop but they'll soon turn into you getting stressed at other people's actions on the road :P

i'm lienent on learners for this but if it's a dude shaving or a girl doing makeup the horn will come out sharpish :D

keep at it and you'll be flying to the shops for the parents in no time (i think that's the reason they taught me how to drive :().

Haha I'm already getting stressed at other people! I wish people wouldn't all stop so close to each other and just randomly pull out onto main roads at high speed just for the craic like!

I just need to stop turning corners in 3rd... :) I get my sister's car cos she's gone to Germany so hopefully I'll get my test pretty soon after applying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

sunnyside wrote: »
    Or is it a total nightmare for everyone? I want to be able to drive but I'm hating the learning part.

The car stalling at junctions and the traffic lights, trouble with parking, having to concentrate so hard all the time....learner driver hell:(

no i hate it.

being thaught how to drive like a twat/do-gooder so you can pass the test is not an enjoyable experience. ya know, putting the handbrake up so if someone crashes into you your car takes all the damage and other nonsense.

the test is also designed with a large amount of political correctness in mind. its very expensive too - probably to keep young people off the road and get them into "green" transport

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

towel401 wrote: »
    its very expensive too - probably to keep young people off the road and get them into "green" transport

? The test only costs €38. And there are no compulsory lessons as of yet, so it's hardly a government comspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

? The test only costs €38. And there are no compulsory lessons as of yet, so it's hardly a government comspiracy

it's a bit much for some geezer to sit beside you while you drive around for half an hour in your own car.

you also gotta pay for the theory test, eye test, provisional license, full license.

no compulsory lessons but is it even possible to pass anymore without them? how is a normal person supposed to know all the new nonsensical regulations they bring in every couple of months? i never said it was a conspiracy but motorists havn't been in the government's good books for quite a few years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

€38 is definitely not expensive. I'm surprised it doesn't cost more. The average price of a driving lesson is €45 which is also ok in my opinion. I've been finding it expensive because I paid for 10 lessons in a short space of time. It would be helpful if this was tax refundable or something.

But you can't expect learning to drive to be free, it's like music or anything else you want to learn, there has to be some investment.

I've also heard that driving lessons will be going up in price next year due to a new regulation which will mean that only qualified instructors can work and lots of them aren't qualified at the moment. I'm sure the mods here know much more about that than I do.

I'm also inclined to think it's a difficult business to make money in. My instructor seems to be working 12 hour days.

Towel401 I doubt many people are learning to drive just for the purpose of passing a test. I'm learning for the independence it gives you. Other people are learning so thaey can drive to work or do the school run. Passing a test is part of that process but it's not the main motivation to learn.

And what do you mean about pulling the handbrake up so your car gets damaged when someone crashes into it:confused:I pull my handbrake up so I don't roll backwards when stopped on a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

towel401 wrote: »
    ............... drive like a twat/do-gooder ........... ................. and other nonsense.
    towel401 - I've banned you before from this forum and I won't hesitate to do it permanently if you post any more of this type of rubbish.

Infraction given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sunnyside wrote:
    And what do you mean about pulling the handbrake up so your car gets damaged when someone crashes into it:confused:
    If you are stopped at traffic lights using the footbrake, for example, and are struck by another vehicle from the rear, your foot may come off the brake in the impact and cause further damage to others. It is claimed that using the park brake will minimise the distance your car will travel compared to 'freewheeling' in neutral without the footbrake applied.

Advertisement