Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM09 revealed

Options
  • 03-09-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/sigames

The 2nd video on that page gives the juicy details...

Biggest changes are a new 3D match display, using animation resources from Sega's Virta Striker team.

Transfer system has been overhauled. Transfer rumours now included.

Pre- and post-match press conferences

Player training improved

Bigger database

Widescreen support

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

sweet. Never knew Ray had a role in the creation of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I cant wait , i think we should all be texting our girlfriends now to make them fully aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

They better do a good job on the EL this year!

Not like last year. Was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

3D match engine - wow !

I know a lot of users were clamouring for it, but still very unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is there anywhere that lists all the changes and improvements in text form? Dont have broadband so youtube is a no no. Not to fussed with a 3d match engine anyways....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Art Deco

Interaction with other players/managers will be imrpoved hopefully.

Would like to see more put into rivalries too

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

The Videos also available here, but there is also a nice feature list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

More licensed leagues would be nice especially like to see a licensed eircom league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 llewellyn

The 3d match engine is a great addition! If anyone has ever played LMA Manager it looks similar..I like the idea of press anouncments too :)

The only downside I can see id the HT assistant manager assessments, wouldn't this make it too easy?

Art Deco wrote: »
    Interaction with other players/managers will be imrpoved hopefully.

Would like to see more put into rivalries too

Yeah definitely, I'd love to see the odd off pich pizza-fest between ManUtd and Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I hope there is a bit more fan feedback and the like. You know when youve done so much for a club and then you get sacked/ultimatum and the players usually dont give a ****e and the fans never say anything. Keeganesque sort of.

joe123 wrote: »
    I hope there is a bit more fan feedback and the like. You know when youve done so much for a club and then you get sacked/ultimatum and the players usually dont give a ****e and the fans never say anything. Keeganesque sort of.

Yeah, when you've brought Mansfield town into the Championship in 3 seasons and get sacked in your first season in charge..
    Am I bitter? Yes..
    I'd have liked to see the fans protest trying to get the chairman out :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I have to say i'm very concerned about the addition of the 3D match engine. on paper it sounds great, but implementation will create new headaches. what i'm afraid of is that it may represent a sort of step backwards as there will now be numerous extra possibilities for bugs to arise. and also, with all the time devoted to the 3D element in development, will they get around to fixing the long standing bugs in it? like the endless sequences of corners we sometimes see (I remember on one memorable occasion i counted 10 in a row, and even more bizarrely they all went out off the same player)? or the unrealistic opposition play, where every bloody keeper turns into a superstar against your team etc... etc... i find this aspect more important over whether i can view it in 3D or not. hope they've improved this side of the game.

I am very encourage to see the press conferences and transfer system being overhauled, but apart from that everything else we saw in the video seems to be somewhat gimmicky and i fear wont make much of an improvement in the overall gameplay...

only time will tell i guess. can't wait for the demo to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Hopefully they'll have tested the 3D match engine enough so that there will be as little bugs as possible. Looking real forward to that feature and the added interaction between managers/players/media.

Quick Q for yous; how many of you will actually sit down and watch the entire match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

3D match engine looks good (Hope it won't be too demanding on GPU's though) and I like the way they've rewritten the transfer system.

Never, maybe if I'm in a final of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

any one hear anything about the system requirements??

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Disappointed to hear that the main thrust of the update is 3d match visualisation - the gameplay isn't about the visuals, its about the realism of managing a football club.

They'd have been much better sorting out the gameplay bugs and improving realisms in terms of interaction and international footie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They'd have been much better sorting out the gameplay bugs

Which ones?

Just watched the video - very excited about this...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I will watch matches in 3D if its the same speed as 2D.

I really think this years version will be the worst simply because they are putting too much in.It will be a miracle if its not as buggy as last years.On paper it looks amazing but we will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

I think they already have a match engine going, so they aren't rewriting that and can still fix former bugs. The only difference really is using the match engine on 3d animations, which will give the same result as watching it in 2D.

Personally, can't wait for the new game. Sure there will be bugs in it, and there will be patches for it, just like every computer game/system/OS out there.

I'm not really looking forward to all that journalism, but I guess it's part of the game. In FM08 I just ignore it. If I say to the press that I'll beat a team like Derby easy enough, then Derby come out fighting and all the players that are averaging 7.5/8 so far in the season suddenly get a 4 or 5... which is ridiculous, for all of them to play bad... at the same time!

Oh and in 2015, the top 4 teams are still Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. Although Sunderland are doing well, and Keane is still in charge. Champions League are usually Man Utd/Real/Barca/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal. I have played Chelsea 4 years in a row in the Champions league final, except the last season, where I got them in the semis and played Barca. I also won the champions league 6 years in a row.

I don't think there should be such high expectations for winning the champions league, if you win it one year then you shouldn't be really expected to win it the next year, it's just unrealistic, actually over the next 3 seasons your goal should be the qrt/semi finals and the board should realise this. As nobody really gets to the final all the time, let alone win it every year.

Same with the league, you should just be expected to challenge all the time, and having the board saying at the end of the season they are disappointed with not winning the league is just crap. It should really just say the board congratulate you on winning 3rd place and etc.

Where's the lesson for kids? You always have to win or people won't be happy with you?

Expectations for champion teams should be just to go far and do well in each competiton.

The boards reaction is crap and the end of month reports are crap. Like I won the league with 4 games to go. So gave the youngsters a run out. Then the board are unhappy because I lost 2 games, when the league is won.

There should be realisation that I have played youngsters and the games are not that important.

Where's the lesson for kids? You always have to win or people won't be happy with you?

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I think they already have a match engine going, so they aren't rewriting that and can still fix former bugs. The only difference really is using the match engine on 3d animations, which will give the same result as watching it in 2D.

Personally, can't wait for the new game. Sure there will be bugs in it, and there will be patches for it, just like every computer game/system/OS out there.

I'm not really looking forward to all that journalism, but I guess it's part of the game. In FM08 I just ignore it. If I say to the press that I'll beat a team like Derby easy enough, then Derby come out fighting and all the players that are averaging 7.5/8 so far in the season suddenly get a 4 or 5... which is ridiculous, for all of them to play bad... at the same time!

Oh and in 2015, the top 4 teams are still Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. Although Sunderland are doing well, and Keane is still in charge. Champions League are usually Man Utd/Real/Barca/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal. I have played Chelsea 4 years in a row in the Champions league final, except the last season, where I got them in the semis and played Barca. I also won the champions league 6 years in a row.

I don't think there should be such high expectations for winning the champions league, if you win it one year then you shouldn't be really expected to win it the next year, it's just unrealistic, actually over the next 3 seasons your goal should be the qrt/semi finals and the board should realise this. As nobody really gets to the final all the time, let alone win it every year.

Same with the league, you should just be expected to challenge all the time, and having the board saying at the end of the season they are disappointed with not winning the league is just crap. It should really just say the board congratulate you on winning 3rd place and etc.

Expectations for champion teams should be just to go far and do well in each competiton.

The boards reaction is crap and the end of month reports are crap. Like I won the league with 4 games to go. So gave the youngsters a run out. Then the board are unhappy because I lost 2 games, when the league is won.

There should be realisation that I have played youngsters and the games are not that important.
    Football Manager isn't supposed to contain ''lessons'' for kids!

If you win a competition your board isn't going to send you into next year saying ''g'wan shot for 3rd shure we will be soooo happy''. You win it you go out to defend it and win it.Same in real life.

City will challenge in the game and maybe Newcastle will have money in it.I expect Takeovers to pop up in it alot more but with alot of cash injections.

Has the makings of a great game and best yet, but that was said last year and FM08 was dissapointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Well, the lessons for kids was a joke...

Anyway, I don't think winning the league, fa cup and champions league in May warrants a message from the board about losing your last premiership match 1-0 and how disappointed everyone was.

It would be nice if there was something there that lowered the importance of the game.

Also, the improved training seems like a good bonus, I've never liked the way the training was done, it was far too easy.

It looks like it's much more involved. And I hope I can still manage Brazil, go to some matches during the week, in Brazil, and still make it back in time to manage Arsenal in the FA Cup Final!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

FM09 demo being released this Sunday....I like the team up with Steam also, granted you wont get the cheaper price by shopping round, but saves leaving the house to the Irish weather!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The Patches update automatically aswell as long as you log into Steam. which is a godsend.
    Tbh I prob wont even be using the 3d match engine. I really like the 2d view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Links to some videos of the 3D footage can be found here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Demo is available for download right now!!

Advertisement