Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie withdrew bet.

• 03-09-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I was logged into my online bookie account a couple of weeks ago during the Dublin v Tyrone match and I noticed that they were still offering 5/1 against Kerry and Tyrone qualifying for the final. I had a few bob at 5/1; the bet was processed in the usual way, a bet number, etc,etc, and the stake was deducted from my account, everything normal so far. The next day when I logged on I noticed that the bet had been cancelled and the stake refunded to my account. I phoned customer service and told the supervisor that I wanted the bet reinstated. She told me that there had been a mistake on their part, the bet should have been removed when the game started and as I had struck a 'late bet' it was their terms and conditions that accecpted when I opened my account with them, the bet had been voided.
    I sent an e-mail F.A.O. the managing director which was not even acknowledged outlining why I was unhappy. My points were/are.
    When I was told it was a late bet it was not as if I had bet on a horse race that was over and that I knew the result , when the bet was struck there were still 5 teams left in the competition. I put my money up front, they took the bet, and in a sense we had electronically shaken hands over the wager. If they made a mistake they should be big enough to take the approx 200 hit and not to be welching on the bet.
    Apart from voting with my feet is there any way I can get my money and then maybe vote with my feet, Any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm pretty sure most bookies cover themselves for mistakes made by them. If you walk elsewhere they are likely to do the same thing as your current account did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

They should offer some sort of recompense in this matter. However I am sure you were aware when placing the bet that Tyrone getting to the final having been well clear of Dublin at that stage (and Kerry reaching final aswell) was suddenly much shorter than a 5's shot. Common sense should dictate that they pay you as an accum of sorts;
    Tyrone to finish Dublin off (depending what time ur bet was struc at but probably long odds on)
    Tyrone to knock out Wexford
    Kerry to knock out Cork
    Not your 5/1 shot but still a return of sorts. To just void the bet completely smacks of unprofessionalism. Ring their h.q. and demand to speak to a supervisor. Exhaust all avenues with them and if no joy try John Martin (The Star) who is excellent in these type of situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Quad04 you can try IBAS. They nearest thing to a regulator bookmakers have... If the bookie have signed up (99% have IMO) they have to obide by their decision in disputes...

I am surprised the bookie has not met u in the middle and gave u some sorta compensation....

I had similar experience with PP recently online.. They settled bet incorrectly with wrong result in darts.. I had Meryn King to win and he lost but i was out on lash so wasn't checking results, so logged in to account to see winning plus 200 odd quid i already had account. I placed loads of bets on Saturday on basis I winnings from darts bet. To my surprise PP realised mistake and withdraw winnings from darts bet (in T&C that they can do this) . I complained as i placed bets on basis that had winnings and they gave me 40E compensation into my account but i was 200odd quid out of pocket. They wouldnt budge on compo money so i cancelled account! Im sure PP doesnt miss me but we all have principals!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

They settled bet incorrectly with wrong result in darts.. I had Meryn King to win and he lost but i was out on lash so wasn't checking results, so logged in to account to see winning plus 200 odd quid i already had account. I placed loads of bets on Saturday on basis I winnings from darts bet. To my surprise PP realised mistake and withdraw winnings from darts bet (in T&C that they can do this) . I complained as i placed bets on basis that had winnings and they gave me 40E compensation into my account but i was 200odd quid out of pocket.

I don't understand how were you 200 notes out of pocket? Your bet didn't win.
    Or is it that all your subsequent bet were losers? That's not PP's fault. I mean you'd hardly have given back the profit if they were all winners?

To the OP I don't think you have any argument, although I agree it is annoying that these bets are accepted in the first place. Clearly the price of a Tyrone Kerry Final at any point in running of the Dublin Tyrone march was less than 5/1 so bookie can claim palpable error as well as the late bet.
    And lastly your stake was refunded to you so there was nothing stopping you placing the bet after the Dublin match at the correct odds, but you obv chose not to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

badbrian wrote: »
    I don't understand how were you 200 notes out of pocket? Your bet didn't win.
    Or is it that all your subsequent bet were losers? That's not PP's fault. I mean you'd hardly have given back the profit if they were all winners?

To the OP I don't think you have any argument, although I agree it is annoying that these bets are accepted in the first place. Clearly the price of a Tyrone Kerry Final at any point in running of the Dublin Tyrone march was less than 5/1 so bookie can claim palpable error as well as the late bet.
    And lastly your stake was refunded to you so there was nothing stopping you placing the bet after the Dublin match at the correct odds, but you obv chose not to do this.

Do you work for PP Badbrian :-)

You are quite correct my friend and I wouldnt have given any profit back, but i didnt achieve profit! I give myself a betting budget every month and had nearly reached this (30E or so left) so the honestly only 1 of my following 3 losing bets would have been placed had PP not made the error, or alternatively not taken 20hrs to spot it!

The most disappointing factor was the way they dealt with the matter. They also had not got the decency to contact me regarding this error. The money was just withdrawn from my account. Part of my job is to recover over-payments made in error and we are only obliged to ask for money back. The sums of money concerned are 5 figure sums not €200. IMO PP should have just written off monies allocated...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 quad04

Just a few points on your replys to this post.I'm a newbie so i'll show it by thanking you all for your insight and good advice. Yes I did have an inclination that P.P had taken their eye off the ball but I thought that this was the one time in my punting career that I had outflanked the bookie. As it happens I was not aware of the term 'palpable error', which seems to happen on and off, and they use as their 'get out of jail clause'. When they returned the bet they allowed a fiver on at the offered odds.(meeting me half-way) The term 'palpable error' I had never known of, so at the same time as my bet I laid off with a tenner on Dublin. This P.P. chose to ignore when voiding the 5/1 bet struck. But.. as it happens I am now aware of the palpable error clause.. and it would be a right sickner if I had upped my bet big time and also upped the saver. Even so I think I will take your advice leopardstown and give the guy in the Star a bell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not your 5/1 shot but still a return of sorts. To just void the bet completely smacks of unprofessionalism. Ring their h.q. and demand to speak to a supervisor. Exhaust all avenues with them and if no joy try John Martin (The Star) who is excellent in these type of situations.

doing anything different would be awful. If he still wanted to put the bet on he could the next day at the correct odds.

If this happened to me and instead of voiding the bet the bookies stuck my bet on at the correct odds I'd do my nut with them. People place bets becuase they feel the odds are incorrect, so if they change the odds and keep your bet the decision is taken out of your hands which is a nightmare for a gambler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

doing anything different would be awful. If he still wanted to put the bet on he could the next day at the correct odds.

If this happened to me and instead of voiding the bet the bookies stuck my bet on at the correct odds I'd do my nut with them. People place bets becuase they feel the odds are incorrect, so if they change the odds and keep your bet the decision is taken out of your hands which is a nightmare for a gambler.

Agree 100%. Sadly every bookie covers themself for this type of behaviour via the "palpable error" rule. Reason being that it could be very easy for somebody to back an outcome at a vastly inflated price and immediatly lay the bet at the correct price for a significant guaranteed profit.

Chalk it up OP. Bookies rules regarding this type of action are tighter than a nun's bum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

something similar happened to me a few months back.they cancelled a bet on me ,so i rang them up and asked what the story was .the girl told me the reason (she sounded like she was reading it straight from a sheet )then spoke to a supervisior she was the same just kept repeating the same lines .told them to close my account and put my balance into my back acc. and id take my business elsewhere.about 15mins later she rings back and tells me after reviewing my case they would honour my bet and hope there was no hard feelings etc .was still pissed off so when the money came in i withdrew it all and wont use them again. I think OP should do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnMoralltach

Sorry but i'm very confused here..The OP knew that the odds were a mistake.Such a mistake is covered in PPs Terms and Conditions..Upon noticing the mistake all stakes were refunded.Where is the malpractice or cause for complaint?

• Advertisement

The reason I feel hard done by was that a Multi Million euro organisation offered me odds against a particular outcom to 3 Gaelic football games. They offered me what I considered to be attractive odds, I accepted their offer, put my money up front and they gave me a receipt for the transaction. Then in hindsight they say to themselves, 'oh we gave this guy too good a price' but instead of taking it on the chin they void the bet. Suppose you got a great bargain in a shop, you paid for it, were given a receipt, and then the next day somebody from M/S or Tesco came knocking on your door saying they made a mistake and want to voide the transaction you will have to give them back the goods. You would hand them back the merchandise there and then. would'int you. The reason that this has annoyed me is; obviously financial, it would be a nice feeling to win nearly 200, I bet in vey small amounts but I am not some sort of deadbeat. I know that they will get the upper hand in the long run, it's what I enjoy doing and its how I spend my disposable income. ..But what has really got up my none is the P.R. image that Paddy Power has consistently portrayed for their company, 'we at P.P. are all diamond geezers, just like you, one of the lads'. How many times have you heard him in an interview sayig with a smile on his face, and in his voice, ' we got caned that time the punters took us to the cleaners' as if it has made his day. P.P. don't patrionise me with this crap and then welch on a E200 payout.
    And poster; please don't tell me its in their terms and conditions I have enough intelligence to know that they are totally entitled to do what they have done......... but I still think they are a mingey shower of ****es,,,,,, which is the reason that after my anti post bets on the hurling are decided this afternon I will be closing my account with P.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You chanced your arm taking an obviously incorrect price and didn't get away it. We've all been there but you really need to stop crying about it.
    quad04 wrote: »
    after my anti post bets on the hurling are decided this afternon I will be closing my account with P.P.

This is just silly - keep your account open anyway - the day will come when Powers are best priced about something you fancy and you will have cost yourself money by not having an account ready to bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The reason I feel hard done by was that a Multi Million euro organisation offered me odds against a particular outcom to 3 Gaelic football games. They offered me what I considered to be attractive odds, I accepted their offer, put my money up front and they gave me a receipt for the transaction. Then in hindsight they say to themselves, 'oh we gave this guy too good a price' but instead of taking it on the chin they void the bet. Suppose you got a great bargain in a shop, you paid for it, were given a receipt, and then the next day somebody from M/S or Tesco came knocking on your door saying they made a mistake and want to voide the transaction you will have to give them back the goods. You would hand them back the merchandise there and then. would'int you. The reason that this has annoyed me is; obviously financial, it would be a nice feeling to win nearly 200, I bet in vey small amounts but I am not some sort of deadbeat. I know that they will get the upper hand in the long run, it's what I enjoy doing and its how I spend my disposable income. ..But what has really got up my none is the P.R. image that Paddy Power has consistently portrayed for their company, 'we at P.P. are all diamond geezers, just like you, one of the lads'. How many times have you heard him in an interview sayig with a smile on his face, and in his voice, ' we got caned that time the punters took us to the cleaners' as if it has made his day. P.P. don't patrionise me with this crap and then welch on a E200 payout.
    And poster; please don't tell me its in their terms and conditions I have enough intelligence to know that they are totally entitled to do what they have done......... but I still think they are a mingey shower of ****es,,,,,, which is the reason that after my anti post bets on the hurling are decided this afternon I will be closing my account with P.P.
    Jesus Wept, life is too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

please don't tell me its in their terms and conditions I have enough intelligence to know that they are totally entitled to do what they have done......... but I still think they are a mingey shower of ****es,,,,,, which is the reason that after my anti post bets on the hurling are decided this afternon I will be closing my account with P.P.

You sure?

The term 'palpable error' I had never known of, as it happens I am now aware of the palpable error clause..l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

quad04 wrote:
    The reason I feel hard done by was that a Multi Million euro organisation offered me odds against a particular outcom to 3 Gaelic football games.

The fact they are a multi million euro company is irrelevant.
    quad04 wrote:
    They offered me what I considered to be attractive odds, I accepted their offer,

Why were the odds attractive?? Because Tyrone were well ahead in the match.
    quad04 wrote:
    put my money up front and they gave me a receipt for the transaction. Then in hindsight they say to themselves, 'oh we gave this guy too good a price' but instead of taking it on the chin they void the bet.

Your were given a receipt as a consequence of the market being left up on their site. They didnt turn around and say 'oh we gave this guy too good a price' they turned around and said why did this guy get a bet on this market. Then they proceeded to offer you correct odds or money back.
    quad04 wrote:
    Suppose you got a great bargain in a shop, you paid for it, were given a receipt, and then the next day somebody from M/S or Tesco came knocking on your door saying they made a mistake and want to voide the transaction you will have to give them back the goods. You would hand them back the merchandise there and then. would'int you. The reason that this has annoyed me is; obviously financial, it would be a nice feeling to win nearly 200, I bet in vey small amounts but I am not some sort of deadbeat.

A product in M&S/Tesco isn't going to fluctuate in price while you are there purchasing it. The price also isn't affected by other events (most of the time!) Obviously if your buying a chicken and Bird Flu breaks out you can expect the price to fall, but the majority of the time time the price is fixed. You had a bet (which shouldn't have been available anyway), but was also so very affected by events going on involving both of the teams. Tyrone win you have better chance of your bet winning, Tyrone lose your bet is loser, but you would have most likely got money back or at very least a single on kerry.
    quad04 wrote:
    I know that they will get the upper hand in the long run, it's what I enjoy doing and its how I spend my disposable income. ..But what has really got up my none is the P.R. image that Paddy Power has consistently portrayed for their company, 'we at P.P. are all diamond geezers, just like you, one of the lads'. How many times have you heard him in an interview sayig with a smile on his face, and in his voice, ' we got caned that time the punters took us to the cleaners' as if it has made his day.

You probably will lose in the long run yes, but its the fight to get the punters money which he is trying to portray. Obviously if your out backing 500/1 shots constantly, Mr. Power will be taking your money more often than not, its the close ties they live off, e.g. Harringtons first open or Irish winners at cheltenham, Yes the punters have taken them to the cleaners, and it gets more people wanting to be on the next bookie bashing, its what they call business.

quad04 wrote:
    P.P. don't patrionise me with this crap and then welch on a E200 payout.

Again I'll make the point that the financial aspect is irrelevant, whether you're a 200 a year or a 200,000 a year punter, betting rules will apply.
    quad04 wrote:
    And poster; please don't tell me its in their terms and conditions I have enough intelligence to know that they are totally entitled to do what they have done.........

Then don't bother posting this bolox in the first place.
    quad04 wrote:
    but I still think they are a mingey shower of ****es,,,,,, which is the reason that after my anti post bets on the hurling are decided this afternon I will be closing my account with P.P.

After 3 weeks with Ladbrokes you'll be kissing Paddy's feet to get your account back open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

After 3 weeks with Ladbrokes

You can add Hills to that list.

Neither of them have followed PP's lead of guaranteed prices which in my experience is the dog's ......
    Taking an Early Price means this is the worst price you're going to get on the horse (the horse has to win though :().
    Boylers have followed suit but none of the big English bookies have followed so I couldn't see any reason to go into them for a bet on a horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I would much rather the bet were voided, during Euros I was betting in running on a game and the bookie had left up a price that didn't take the last goal into account, my bet went through but was amended after the game to a new price that was an absolute disgrace and I would *never* have backed at that price given the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

I was logged into my online bookie account a couple of weeks ago during the Dublin v Tyrone match and I noticed that they were still offering 5/1 against Kerry and Tyrone qualifying for the final. I had a few bob at 5/1; the bet was processed in the usual way, a bet number, etc,etc, and the stake was deducted from my account, everything normal so far. The next day when I logged on I noticed that the bet had been cancelled and the stake refunded to my account. I phoned customer service and told the supervisor that I wanted the bet reinstated. She told me that there had been a mistake on their part, the bet should have been removed when the game started and as I had struck a 'late bet' it was their terms and conditions that accecpted when I opened my account with them, the bet had been voided.
    I sent an e-mail F.A.O. the managing director which was not even acknowledged outlining why I was unhappy. My points were/are.
    When I was told it was a late bet it was not as if I had bet on a horse race that was over and that I knew the result , when the bet was struck there were still 5 teams left in the competition. I put my money up front, they took the bet, and in a sense we had electronically shaken hands over the wager. If they made a mistake they should be big enough to take the approx 200 hit and not to be welching on the bet.
    Apart from voting with my feet is there any way I can get my money and then maybe vote with my feet, Any ideas.

Thats a bad break in trust there. there is a recession on though so things are tighting up.

What bookie was it?

That it, I have made the decision to move on with the rest of my life. ..Hurray,...
    Just one thing to ye posters from inside the pale, was it the fact that i'm such a tosser (I thought it was principles) that annoyed youse all, or was it the mention of the GFC 08 and that I was betting on a Kerry v Tyrone final that got youse so hostile.
    I'ts O.K I take it as read, it's the first one.
    Final result. ???????
    Kerry 1-15 Tyrone 0-13.

Dude, the fact that you are from outside of the pale has nothing to do with it.

If PP had done something mental like void a winning bet which had correct odds then I'm sure plenty of people on here would offer decent advice about how to take them on.

But the fact of the matter is that you thought you were pulling a fast one on them, got caught out and are now bitter.

Get over it. Any other major bookie would have done the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Mezcita wrote: »
    Dude, the fact that you are from outside of the pale has nothing to do with it.

If PP had done something mental like void a winning bet which had correct odds then I'm sure plenty of people on here would offer decent advice about how to take them on.

But the fact of the matter is that you thought you were pulling a fast one on them, got caught out and are now bitter.

Get over it. Any other major bookie would have done the same thing.

So if you think a team are overpriced you are pulling a fast one :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think that Boylesports and Paddy Power are the best out there but on this occasion the Bookie was wrong. In saying that PP have the best Internet betting system that Ive seen. The other bookies are still in the dark ages and Betfair's software system (as opposed to a typical web page sytem) is a nightmare. I never understood why Betfair had to give us a tacky looking software interface rather than a nice clean webpage like other Bookies.

My advice. Stick with Paddy Power.

Gareth37 wrote: »
    So if you think a team are overpriced you are pulling a fast one :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think that Boylesports and Paddy Power are the best out there but on this occasion the Bookie was wrong. In saying that PP have the best Internet betting system that Ive seen. The other bookies are still in the dark ages and Betfair's software system (as opposed to a typical web page sytem) is a nightmare. I never understood why Betfair had to give us a tacky looking software interface rather than a nice clean webpage like other Bookies.

My advice. Stick with Paddy Power.

Glorious use of the rolley eyes smiley there Gareth.

Read the thread. He got odds on a market which was in play and which therefore should have been pulled when the game started.

Stick with Paddy's if you are are a mug punter and don't want to get the best possible price on games you choose to bet on. Otherwise, if you want to get the maximum return on any winning bet, use oddschecker.com or betbrain.com to shop around.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

oddschecker.com or betbrain.com

I use bestbetting.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just one thing to ye posters from inside the pale, was it the fact that i'm such a tosser (I thought it was principles) that annoyed youse all, or was it the mention of the GFC 08 and that I was betting on a Kerry v Tyrone final that got youse so hostile.

Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Advertisement