Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Psychology

• 03-09-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

can anyone tell me what books to read for say, general psychology. im looking for a book that can give views on a broad range of areas of psychology.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A first year psychology textbook is usually quite readable and comprehensive. Gazzaniga and Heatherton's book is quite readable and I think the most common one used by undergrads is by Eysenck.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Gen Psych texts are crap. See Leahey & Leahey (1999), A History of Psychology: Main Currents in Psychological Thought, 5th Ed., for schools of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Hi all,

Always had an interest in Psychology and am considering taking up an evening/part time degree course in it.

Before i spend my hard earned cash and time getting into it i want to be sure its for me and not just a 'flash in the pan idea'. Would be keen if anyone could reccommend a good book which gives me a good idea whats involved in the study of Psycology.

Im sure everyone is aware of a subject they thought would be interesting, but when it actually came time to devote study time to it they realised it was not what they imagined it to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Before i spend my hard earned cash and time getting into it i want to be sure its for me and not just a 'flash in the pan idea'. Would be keen if anyone could reccommend a good book which gives me a good idea whats involved in the study of Psycology.
    A book? Wrong approach. Talk to psychologists about careers. Professors. Therapists. Shop around. Discover from those in practice.

Advertisement