Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDA

• 03-09-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for something that I can use for travelling, something cheap and portable. I only want it for a text editor, and possibly for storing photo's on. I know PDA's are pretty outdated now, but can anyone advise on one, or something similar. I don't need anything extra on it (wireless etc.).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any Nokia Symbian phone should give you basic notepad type functunality and photo storage. Look at things like the e51 or n95 (and others of course).

Also maybe the XDA range would do the job for you (look at the O2 website).

Have a glance through the PDA section of the www.expansys.ie website and the reviews on www.gsmarena.com too

Have you seen anything in particular? Have anything in mind? Any brands you prefer? Any sort of interface (touchscreen, keypad, etc)? Size?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Random wrote: »
    Any Nokia Symbian phone should give you basic notepad type functunality and photo storage. Look at things like the e51 or n95 (and others of course).

Also maybe the XDA range would do the job for you (look at the O2 website).

Have a glance through the PDA section of the www.expansys.ie website and the reviews on www.gsmarena.com too

Have you seen anything in particular? Have anything in mind? Any brands you prefer? Any sort of interface (touchscreen, keypad, etc)? Size?

I was originally looking at getting a ASUS EEC PC(hence posting in that forum first, I didn't know this one existed), they're about 200 quid or so, but I don't need half the stuff that they have on it. But I'd be looking for something similar in price and size. Anything smaller and I'd struggle to type at a decent speed, I think. Which led me to think that a PDA of some sort might be ideal?
    Basically all I want is an editor with a QWERTY keypad, with a small hard drive, or even a flash drive. After that, I don't need anything else(actually the less the better, as I'm travelling and don't wish to be distracted).

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The other, alternative is to get a basic 2nd. hand PDA on ebay and use it with a folding IR wireless keyboard like this refurb.

You can also get similar keyboards that use a bluetooth connection.

Apart from a PDA some smartphones can run Word apps. are you due an upgrade?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Do-more wrote: »
    The other, alternative is to get a basic 2nd. hand PDA on ebay and use it with a folding IR wireless keyboard like this refurb.

You can also get similar keyboards that use a bluetooth connection.

Apart from a PDA some smartphones can run Word apps. are you due an upgrade?

That keyboard doesn't look as portable as I'd like. I think I'll have to resort to the EEC PC. Thanks for the help though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Ritchi wrote: »
    That keyboard doesn't look as portable as I'd like. I think I'll have to resort to the EEC PC. Thanks for the help though.

get an "acer aspire one" - wipes the floor with the eeepc in every respect!!!

Advertisement