Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way to test the line DIY

Options
  • 03-09-2008 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

I been trying to get broadband into the house for a while now. although the exchange was upgraded some time last year ,I have been told by eircom that the line fails, but they can never tell what if failed for or why. If there any was of self testing a line, I was told that if you connect a modem you should be able to see if the DSL signal is present. I tried this but got nothing. Has anyone got advice on this,bar taking a shot gun to the box outside my house which has been considered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nope, you need DSL enabled at the exchange for your line, without it enabled it will never synch with a modem. If youre close enough to the exchange it can still fail is its a pairline or just if the line is crap quality,i.e. too much noise/interference on the line. I had this in my last gaff and it crippled my BB to dial up speeds for uploading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Cheers , I was thinking that but I was not sure. I will just have to ring eircom and try and force them to come out and look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Cheers , I was thinking that but I was not sure. I will just have to ring eircom and try and force them to come out and look at it.
    i seriously wish you the best of luck with that, i tried for 6 months to get someone out, it might be easier if your account is with eircom though. Ask them for a reason as to why you cant get broadband, they must have a better explanation than just "no"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Tell them you hear an intermittent noise on the line and you want it tested for faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Tell them you hear an intermittent noise on the line and you want it tested for faults.

exactly.

don't mention broadband, just call and complain about the quality of the line when you're on the phone, tell them you've plugged everything out and have tried a single wired phone with a short cable and the line is still bad, crackling etc. and that they need to send someone out to look at it.

i don't know for sure, but i don't think they are under any obligation to make sure your line is capable of data connections, but they do have to live up to certain standards for basic voice comms.

and practice your calm but disgruntled voice. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Eircom is responsible so the line up to your house not any of the internal wiring. And if a Tech is called out and does not find a fault you will get charged for the call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sounds like thye've got everyone by the balls either way then.

BUT, on second thoughts you would have to request an engineer visit for that to be the case and there's nothing to stop it being an intermittent fault. ;)

Advertisement