Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Observation - what is it?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hello,

I unfortunately failed my test today for having seven grade 2 marks under the Observation category. (Btw thanks, everyone, for their advice in my few posts in the run-up to the test.) I didn't get a single other mark on the sheet and I'm a bit confused as to how my observation seemed to be such a mess - especially as I didn't get anything for mirrors or reaction to hazards, which I would have thought was linked.

As far as I recall, I was careful to follow the "Rear Mirror, Side Mirror, Signal, Rear Mirror, Side Mirror, Blind Spot, Look in the direction of manoeuvre, Move" routine when manoeuvring but still ended up with one blue mark each on observation at moving off, overtaking, changing lane, roundabouts, turning left and two at turning right. My driving instructor is on holidays so I can't talk to her about it, but I'd be grateful to hear what you guys think, i.e. what else is included in the category "observation". The fact that I got one mark each on some of the sub-categories that I obviously did several times during the test makes me think that I must have missed out doing it (whatever it is!) one one roundabout, one left turn, one lane change, etc - and so in principle I am doing ok but just need to be more careful and/or more obvious to ensure that it is clear I do it each time. Or have I completely misunderstood and are there other aspects to observation that I haven't recognised and other skills that I need to learn before my next test? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Is there a possibility you could have been over observing? You will get penalised under observation if you're overly observing your mirrors and blindspots at the expense of looking where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Oh, thank you, I hadn't actually thought of it like that at all. That does make sense that you could be penalised for doing too much looking around as well as not enough. Hmm, I suppose it might have well have been possible. I can't wait for my instructor to get back so I can go through the list with her! I think what confuses me most is that I did (or at least I think I did!) pretty much the same thing at every turn, roundabout, etc and so can't quite see how I would get marks for one and not for all of them, if you know what I mean. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hi Fiona,
    It's always vital to throw a glancer over your right shoulder when pulling off.
    Also, you need to look in the left mirror when navigating roundabouts.
    Turning left .... rear mirror, side mirror, indicate and then a glance in the side mirror when actually navigating the corner. Oh and make sure you look right too.

To be honest, I failed my test the first time due to pretty much the same faults. I went back out and really worked hard at them. It was very tricky because I had only had two professional lessons when I started driving a year previously and then had 3 lessons right before I took the test. It was tricky to break those bad habits but I managed to break them and passed the second time only 10 weeks later.
    Observation can definitely be worked on - your instructor should be able to help you with those aspects too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Any chance you were indicating before looking ?

It's mirror , signal , maneuver in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks everyone. I've reapplied for the test and wil go through it with my driving instructor when she gets back. Although in reality I'll probably just go for one more lesson with her and then maybe take a lesson or two with somebody different, she did fine in teaching me all the other elements but she never once mentioned a problem with my observations before the test so maybe it would be good to try someone else so get a different point of view on my driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it possible that you were physically 'observing' but not actually processing what you saw? Some people simply go through the motions but don't react appropriately (although that would probably be a 'reaction to hazard' fault).

Advertisement