Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Needs Assisting

Options
  • 03-09-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey there!

Thinking of doing the FETAC Special Needs Assisting course. Has anyone done one before? Im thinking of doing another course this year too which will be pretty intense, just wondering how tough is the SNA?

Will it take serious study or can i divide time equally between the 2?

Thanks for all replies :):)

S.M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

How many hours week is it? I did one a few years back that was just two evenings a week, and worked full time. Altho i worked in the area so found I understood most of the stuff so that may have helped..is it full or part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Oops! Should have said that! The 2 courses are part time, the SNA is for 3 hours on tuesdays and the business and law is wednesdays again for 3 hours.

I just wonder will i be giving myself too much of a work load as well as working full time too..

Thanks again for replies

S.M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I done the SNA course there is absolutely feck all chance of getting a job in it :(

I would have to agree. it is a popular course now and there aren't any jobs really. A lot of people who get them have been in the field for years, (but not necessarily)

Everybody is telling me that too! Although i was talking to some mothers recently and they said, with the Dept of Education cutting SNA jobs they will start hiring SNA's privately for evening sessions or even Saturday sessions to help their kids.

SNA could be benefitial with care homes for the disabled also couldnt it?

• Advertisement

An sna course will give you an good insight into a range of disability, and will look at both the medical and social model of disability. it will help you look at practical issues as well as conflict issues.

in terms of being employed indepenedently it can be done, but parents tend to take sna's who have worked with their kids, so maybe get involved in day care or something if you can't get into a school straight off?

So i decided!!!

Gonna do SNA and a FETAC cert in Business and Law - sacred heart of god i'll be withered come April 09 but at least they will give me an idea of a new career path that may interest me!

Thanks a thousand for all yer replies i really appreciate them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I call shenanigans /schilling. Thread locked till further notice.

Teresakk, Amymacmahon, ShaunaghDoyle and Sna123, posts deleted and site banned for schilling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement