Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Mk V condensation and smell

Options
  • 03-09-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

My wife hadnt been in her Golf for a week or so and when she opened it there was a really bad smell in it (really really bad). Also the windows get had really bad condensation. She took it for a drive tonight and she said after driving for 5 mins or so the smell eased, however she left it and came back around 15 mins later the windows were covered in condensation again. I presume the smell and the condensation are related.

The smell is so bad I even checked if a cat or something had got caught up in the engine ..

The car was serviced not long ago, and it doesnt have A/C

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

can you describe the smell at all, is it sweet etc and are the carpets wet at all,

can you see any leaks inside the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

TheBazman wrote: »
    Hi folks

My wife hadnt been in her Golf for a week or so and when she opened it there was a really bad smell in it (really really bad). Also the windows get had really bad condensation. She took it for a drive tonight and she said after driving for 5 mins or so the smell eased, however she left it and came back around 15 mins later the windows were covered in condensation again. I presume the smell and the condensation are related.

The smell is so bad I even checked if a cat or something had got caught up in the engine ..

The car was serviced not long ago, and it doesnt have A/C

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Sounds like a water leak into the vehicle. Tell her to check the boot area, particularly in where the spare wheel is stored, for a puddle of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I have just checked around the floors and in the boot and spare tyre area and all is dry. She actually got a valet done the other day, I dont think the guy mentioned the smell, but it's still there despite their best efforts.

The smell is really terrible - it's like sour milk/dead animal

I'm presuming the build up of condensation is related. Would condensation sitting on windows for a week or so create a smell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

I'm presuming the build up of condensation is related. Would condensation sitting on windows for a week or so create a smell?
    no, i'd say the condensation is as a result of a stagnant water build-up somewhere like in the ventilation system, under a carpet or under a seat - maybe the back one

let the engine warm up and put on the fan on hot and full speed and see what happens - mimght help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I have just checked around the floors and in the boot and spare tyre area and all is dry. She actually got a valet done the other day, I dont think the guy mentioned the smell, but it's still there despite their best efforts.

The smell is really terrible - it's like sour milk/dead animal

Now that you say you had a valet done, I'm starting to think that this could be related to your problem. If you have excess condensation inside your car, this is usually caused by excess water content inside the car which causes the water to evaporate and then causes the water vapour to condensate against cold surfaces such as windows and the rest of it.

Is it a mark 4 or 5 Golf??? What year is it??? This might sound silly, but sour milk and a dead animal don't smell the same... Is the smell stronger at the back of the car or the front??? Why was the car valeted in the first place??? Is there any chance a valeter was sitting in the car and had a roll and a pint of milk and split it??? Did someone spill something in the car that required it to be valeted???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Must have been one hell of a fart!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does the car have a pollen filter? If so, replacing it might well cure the problem.

Not your ornery onager

Cheers guys - the smell/condensation problem was there before the valet (that was done just as a general clean/tidy up) so I dont think the valet can be blamed.

I have looked around for any wet areas etc but havent seen any. Maybe I'll check under the back seats aswell

Its a 2006 Mk 5 Golf.

I read somewhere alright that it could be a pollen filter problem. If I cant see anything else causing it maybe I'll have to get that checked out. Is that a big issue to replace (ie) bringing to a dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

there might be water lying in the battery compartment. it is a common problem with the passats. check this out http://weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/

Cheers - that battery removal is definitely beyond my ability

I rang a service dept of a VW dealers and they said that it's possibly the pollen filter and this would cause a build up of bacteria which could cause the smell. I'd need to drop it in to be sure

Anyway I'll prob do that next week

• Advertisement
Advertisement