Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable House

Options
  • 03-09-2008 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi All,

I applied for an affordable house just two months ago. The council rang me yesterday to say they were dishing new ones out and would i like to be assessed! Of course i said yes. I'm a single mother and the house would be a leap from home for me and my boy! I'm just a bit worried...I have been provisionally approved for the mortgage by ebs which is great but my problem is the cost isn't just the mortgage repayments!!! There is ebs, gas, bins, sky tv, grocery shopping, clothes and shoes and i have to have a night out somewhere! Has anyone done this and maybe give me some advice to put me at ease!

I applied for the house thinking that it wouldn't come up for a year or two! I haven't quite saved enough i don't think! I mightn't be offered the house in the end but if i am how will i buy furniture and bits and bobs :confused:

PS I'm only 24!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Well I don't think a lot of first time buyers move into fully furnished houses! A friend of mine spent a year on inflatable furniture. Don't be surprised if you have to forego the sky tv, and shop in lidl/pennys, I'm sure plenty of people are in the same situation. Of course, I don't know any more about your personal situation than you've posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Well i may buy proper beds for my child and table and chairs for his dinner! I also need a fridge and a washing machine! I have to to buy a tv full stop! Sky €22 a month won't be a problem! I think it would be easier on my own but i'm not on my own so i'll have to sort these things! Flooring in the house! I'll be living out of the buy and sell i think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

you can furnish a lot from the buy and sell. I had two cardboard boxes and a foam sofa for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

You are right - you do have to factor in all your bills, money to live on, possible interest rate increases, school money, emercency money etc when deciding on getting a mortgage.

If I were you I would go to my local community centre/citizens advice/money budgeting service and see if they may be able to show you how to work out what you can and can't afford and some budgeting advice.

You would have to save or borrow the money for furniture etc I presume or look on website or ads for decent second hand furniture for free or ask friends and family for anything they don't use or need.

Thanks weyhey! I'll have a look for citizens info! Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

also don't forget charity shops - some great stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Is the payment going to take up more than 1/3 of your net income? If so, then you should get independent advice, as you are giving yourself very little room for error - i.e. an emergency or something. Affordable housing *should* mean an affordable repayment, but in a lot of examples I have seen its anything but. There will be no shortage of AH properties over the next few years, so dont feel like its now or never. Weigh it all up and if you can genuinely afford it, then it might be a runnner. Dont forget that if you do go for it, the 20 year clawback applies, so look at the property in the frame of mind of living there for 15 years plus.

Thats a great idea mrgaa1! I have no problem with second hand stuff at the right price :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Freecycle and dublinwaste.ie ftw

you can get everything here for free, from tables and chairs to garden sheds.

there are always sofa's, fridge's, washing machines etc. even if they only last you 6 months it hasnt cost anything, i have got loads from it.

my cousin got a brand new double which was still in the plastic

irishbird wrote: »
    Freecycle and dublinwaste.ie ftw

you can get everything here for free, from tables and chairs to garden sheds.

there are always sofa's, fridge's, washing machines etc. even if they only last you 6 months it hasnt cost anything, i have got loads from it.

my cousin got a brand new double which was still in the plastic

Thanks for that! Thats fantastic...i think the bills i will be grand with its the furniture and carpets and appliances that i'm struggling with! This is great thanks people!

Oh has anyone ever been fairyhouse market? Is there much stuff there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Ikea is also great for nice cheap furniture. If you have a spare day to rent a van for about €80, you can get really nice stuff for very cheap. They have sofas for as little as £80! I was in a similar situation to you two years ago. I bought a house when I was 23, I didnt have a lot of savings, you can buy the big things first and then add to it bit by bit. It may take a year or two for the house to be "finished" but it will be alot kinder to your pocket:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just make sure you know what you are getting into.
    just becuase its called affordable, doesnt mean it is.
    over valuing the house is the big one. house valued at 400k, you get 25% discount so house is 300k. however many of the houses are selling for close to that new as the council goes by the 06 valuation.

the other one is the lack of "extras" the non-affordable house gets 20-30 k of extras such as flooring, kitchens etc. you move in and find that your heating system is basic and your kithcen has been removed.

now is the wrong time to buy a house if there is anything you can do to avoid it.
    you can always avoid buying by renting a place instead, and dont let anyone tell you rent is dead money, its not. and in a falling market you will come out on top

id suggest a very long hard think about it and rent a nice place if you can.
    dont ruch into anyhting

Well i have seen the houses and the kitchens are in! The fireplace is also installed in the sittingroom. The garden is done and completely sounded by walls non of that fencing stuff! The grass is being cut every week by a gardener until the houses are occupied! Black wrought iron fences all around the front and the estate is fab with black lamp posts and well maintained! The 3 bed house were 410k for the public and my house is less than half that price :eek: My brother is a mortgage institute manager and his tongue is hanging out in excitment at this so i think its not a bad move. Just nervous as its a first time buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

The 3 bed house were 410k for the public and my house is less than half that price

That doesn't seem fair to me. This whole AH scheme seems to be getting out of control, with 50%+ plus of the population able to avail of it. It artificially keeps prices high for those above the income threshold. An own goal by the government if you ask me because young high earners are just going head abroad leaving the masses of single mothers, unemployed builders and corrupt politicians to save the dying economy.

People queued for them houses for a week until there were offically launched!! :eek: Granted the AH are much smaller than the others but still have the same estate and same grandure about them! I think if people are stupid enough to pay that price then yeah the builder is right to roide them!! I personally wouldn't pay that for a 3 bed in an estate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

laurak265 wrote: »
    The 3 bed house were 410k for the public and my house is less than half that price :eek:

When were they 410? 2006?

Sounds like a massive discount.

Yeah would have been 2006! AH only gettin dished out now cos of a retention delay!! They have been finished over a yr! They have to be valued in todays market so i suppose its better this yr for the buyer than last yr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Hi All,

...I have been provisionally approved for the mortgage by ebs which is great but my problem is the cost isn't just the mortgage repayments!!! There is ebs, gas, bins, sky tv, grocery shopping, clothes and shoes and i have to have a night out somewhere!
    I applied for the house thinking that it wouldn't come up for a year or two! I haven't quite saved enough i don't think! I mightn't be offered the house in the end but if i am how will i buy furniture and bits and bobs :confused:

PS I'm only 24!

You are really living up to the sterotype of young single mother - have a kid to get a house! Why do you need a three bed for just you & your son?
    Sky TV - get real! That is a luxury. think about getting food & clothes for your kid first, scholl uniforms & books etc - the important stuff. No doubt you will complain every September that going back to school costs a fortune, even though you know it's been comming for a year!
    Forgoe the sky TV, fancy clothes and shoes, too many expensive nights out and needless holidays & you and your son should be just fine.
    Apologies if this sounds harsh, but I unfortunately earn too much for social housing and am paying a large mortgage. Both me & my partner work but cannot afford sky, lots of clothes & shoes. So to hear sigle mothers of 24 boasting about their cheap house & Sky TV is very very annoying! Coz its the rest of us that are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is this in Charlesland by any chance?
    Anyhow, I don't begrudge you your own gaff, noone was ever forced to buy a house at the crazy 2006 prices, they have no-one to blame but themselves.
    Your kid gets to grow up in a proper house with a garden to play in and will be a better person as a result of it.
    Best of luck :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

You are really living up to the sterotype of young single mother - have a kid to get a house! Why do you need a three bed for just you & your son?
    Sky TV - get real! That is a luxury. think about getting food & clothes for your kid first, scholl uniforms & books etc - the important stuff. No doubt you will complain every September that going back to school costs a fortune, even though you know it's been comming for a year!
    Forgoe the sky TV, fancy clothes and shoes, too many expensive nights out and needless holidays & you and your son should be just fine.
    Apologies if this sounds harsh, but I unfortunately earn too much for social housing and am paying a large mortgage. Both me & my partner work but cannot afford sky, lots of clothes & shoes. So to hear sigle mothers of 24 boasting about their cheap house & Sky TV is very very annoying! Coz its the rest of us that are paying.

Yes it does sound harsh and nasty.

Laurak265 is asking for advice and never said she got pregnant to get a house. Or mentioned holidays or fancy clothes. Maybe Sky is her only regular luxury for herself - a fiver a week for entertainment for herself and her son is hardly extravagant.

I know its a miserable day and has a lot of people in grumpy form but blame the government rather Laurak for the AH earnings threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

...I unfortunately earn too much for social housing...

My heart bleeds for you...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I think if people are stupid enough to pay that price then yeah the builder is right to roide them!!

So do I.

You are really living up to the sterotype of young single mother - have a kid to get a house!

She's not getting it for nothing.
    It's an affordable house, she will have to pay a mortgage.
    And even if she was getting it for nothing, who the hell are you to comment when you don't know her circumstances? How do you know she wasn't married and had her hubby run off/be unfortunate to end up with a loser who wouldn't support his child?

You CHOSE to pay a large mortgage. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

You CHOSE to pay a large mortgage. Get over it.

What other choice did he have genius? Due to the fact he worked hard and earns a decent wage, he doesnt rely on the other people taxes to get him a house. You're welfare dependent attitude is sickening.

Tom if i was really living up to the sterotypical single mother as you put it, then i wouldnt have a job, i'd be living off single parent benefits and i'd have a council house and a medical card! I have none of these things. I would never afford to buy a house in a normal scheme of things hence the AH. I'm am going to be paying a mortgage just like everyone else...it may not be as high as yours but it will still be a burden to me! My sky digital will be 24 euro a month for basic packages for my child! He loves animals and he loves the discovery channel so who am i not to encourage my childs kind nature and love of animals! I haven't been on a holiday since 2004 and i look like a milk bottle but thats a sacrafice i took to have my child! If i was actaully selfish i would have had and abortion and lived up my 20's!

I was in college the night before my child was born and i was getting up to go to work when i went into labour! I finished my college while on maternity leave and did my exams the weeks before returning to full time employment! My mother minds my child while i work and i pay her childcare rate! I do all this to instill values in my child! There is a picture of mammy in her cap and gown hanging on the wall! I have a job and hope to buy this house to show him how to achieve when he is older and i'm doing this so we can be our own little family and have our own happy home! I don't buy fancy clothes and never have..I do however buy good shoes for my child and im proud of that! His feet have to gets him through at least 70yrs of his life and hopefully longer fingers crossed so i don't deny i pay for good shoes for him! I'm in dunnes stores gear however and i don't deny it! I have already said i would furnish my home with second hand stuff just to get us off the ground so i hardy live and extravagent life!!!!!

Apologies everyone else for the rant but i hate ignorant people! I'm just trying to live a normal life like everyone else!!

DJDC wrote: »
    What other choice did he have genius? Due to the fact he worked hard and earns a decent wage, he doesnt rely on the other people taxes to get him a house. You're welfare dependent attitude is sickening.

Your taxes don't pay for it! The builder gets planning permission for his estate from the council in return for him building a certain no of affordable homes! They are smaller and less kitted out than the normal prices ones! They are then bought by the council and alotted to lower income people to enable them to get on the property ladder. That person then gets a mortgage and pays the council for the house! If the house is sold for profit then a percentage of that has to be paid to the council so that the initial purchaser doesn't make money off it. That percentage paid back to the council is money used to buy more house to help other people!

Supercell wrote: »
    Is this in Charlesland by any chance?
    Anyhow, I don't begrudge you your own gaff, noone was ever forced to buy a house at the crazy 2006 prices, they have no-one to blame but themselves.
    Your kid gets to grow up in a proper house with a garden to play in and will be a better person as a result of it.
    Best of luck :)

No not charlesland. Cheers for the support :D

DJDC wrote: »

FYI I'm not on welfare.
    I have a large mortgage which I work hard to pay. I just don't have a chip on both shoulders about it.
    And I thank my lucky stars I don't need to rely on the state.

Any fool knows nobody HAS to get mortgaged to the hilt, ever heard of renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

you dont to justify being a single mother its not like you are getting it for free! what a ****ty thing to say that just because you are a single mum you shouldnt buy shoes or some other such ****e. If you want to buy a ten bedroom house for two people its no bodies business.

Be very careful that you can afford this and be very careful of the clawback, they may have been 410 at the peak of the market but there is no way that you are getting 50 per cent off, its not possible. I would find out what they are selling at in the open market, in a year or two you may be able to get similar without being involved in the AH scheme and no clawback. If you really like the area and can see it being some where you want to stay then take their hand off but if its somewhere you are only going to be for a few years then dont do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

yeah working hard for herself and her family and buying houses god damn single mothers? Just so different from everyone else.

Advertisement