Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unjustified failure?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I have a learner's permit and I have my full test next week so just want to get some things straight...

My friend sat his test this morning and failed by one mark (9 grade 2's). It was pouring rain this morning and the roads were slippery. He got four grade 2 errors for failure to make progress on a straight even though he was going 80 km/h on a 100 km/h stretch. Would this speed not be considered adequate in such conditions?

Also he was made do two three point turns and was made reverse twice around a corner... from what I gathered they only make you do one of each, no? :confused:

I'm probably wrong.... can ye put me right

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

The tester was probably trying to help him out by giving him a second chance to do the manoeuveres.

Whether or not his speed was inappropriate depends on the exact conditions at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Without knowing the exact road conditions it's very hard to tell whether or not your friends speed was correct. As for the manoeuvres, it sounds very unusual that he was made do them twice, are you sure this was the case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Without knowing the exact road conditions it's very hard to tell whether or not your friends speed was correct. As for the manoeuvres, it sounds very unusual that he was made do them twice, are you sure this was the case?

Would the examiner have given him another shot if he didnt do it correctly or if there were obstructions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jfy

Yeah I suppose the conditions at the time would play a big part.

The tester said to him "it's good to see a young man driving slow for a change, but you should have been going 100km/h a few times"

Yeah he wasn't made do the manoeuvres twice at the same spot but at completely different ends of the town. I found it strange

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some people, who have been unsuccessful, tend to exaggerate what was requested of them!

• Advertisement

Some people, who have been unsuccessful, tend to exaggerate what was requested of them!

+1.
    Degsy, the instructor is under no obligation to give second chance per say, and i've never heard of it happening myself. If there were obstructions that would prevent the manoeuvre, the examiner would have chosen an alternate place to do it. Cars driving past etc, are all part of the manoeuvres.

I thought that as well when he told me but from what he said it sounded credible

Also he only got blue errors and none of the less serious green ones. Is this common?

jfy wrote: »
    I thought that as well when he told me but from what he said it sounded credible

Also he only got blue errors and none of the less serious green ones. Is this common?

I only got 5 grade 2s during my test, no grade ones, it's not unusual at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was pouring rain this morning and the roads were slippery, he was going 80 km/h on a 100 km/h stretch

That sound like it's got all the ingredients for a bank holiday weekend headline...

I very much doubt he was doing a constant 80km/h, i'd say his speed flucuated a good deal and that's where the tester picked up on the lack of progress..

He was an unexperienced driver driving at 80km/h in very poor driving conditions.

I would have failed your friend...sorry:)

Ok, thanks for the replies, I'll grill him tomorrow to see if he was definitely made do multiple manoeuvres... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i had my test today and only had to do one of everything etc... my tester was really sound, its just the luck of the draw who you get. you friends tester was proberly a one of the mean ones. dont let your freinds result bother you. just caus he failed does not mean you will. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Doing all the bits a second time round sounds really odd - surely even if your friend messed up on the first turnabout / reverse, then the tester would have marked the sheet accordingly at the time, so there could be no possible benefit in having a second chance? I'm pretty certain that the tester cannot erase marks that have already been entered? You mention two locations; are you sure he didn't mean that he did the turnabout at one end of the town and the reverse at the other location, which would be pretty normal?

As someone else said, he probably exaggerated, especially if he was upset or disappointed about the result. On my recent test, I didn't get any green marks at all but failed with seven blues under one heading, so I can see how it is possible to have lots of blues and no greens at all.

Best of luck with your own test!

Yeah I'm sure he said that he had to do both the reverse and 3 point turn manoeuvre twice.

Thanks Fiona, better luck with yours next time too!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

what test centre was it that he was on a 100km stretch of road?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yeah I'm sure he said that he had to do both the reverse and 3 point turn manoeuvre twice
    Personally it sounds like he was given a second chance rather than having to do them twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Dunno. My marking sheet was a mess of grade 1s. I'd guess that some testers mightn't bother to mark them, since they don't actually count toward the outcome.

Advertisement