Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substantial Ice Shelf loss for Canada

Options
  • 03-09-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

The floating tongues of ice attached to Ellesmere Island, which have lasted thousands of years have seen almost one quarter of their cover break away.

These shelves (much smaller of course than those off Antarctica) lost their support as the sea ice has edged away from Ellesmere this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7595441.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Why is it that one week we're told all the ice is melting and the next that there's never been such a freeze up recorded. Tbh I believe that all this global warming talk is only a way of generating more taxes, sure, the place is warming up but has been for millions of years. How come Greenland which is well covered with ice the last time I checked, actually has Viking settlements under the Ice? This is probably why the place was called Greenland in the first place. Of late a lot of well respected scientists are back tracking on what they've already told because the facts don't always add up.
    I'm pretty sure if we had an exceptionally warm summer here in Ireland this year that would have been blamed on global warming too, it really is a case of your damned if you do and your damned if you don't when it comes to global warming. I'm not having a go at you OP by the way it's just that there really is so much misinformation doing the rounds that we really are being made to jump through hoops as a result of all this and I honestly believe that taxes are the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I agree with most of your sentiments Junkyard. Everything seems to be blamed on Global Warming, or as they now call it, Climate Change.
    The seas and oceans are exceptionally warm at the moment and is attacking the ice like never before. The Climate Change brigade seem to be pointing the ice melt at higher air temperatures, however this is not the case. Funnily enough, warmer seas will lead to more evapouration and as the Global air temperatures actually continue to cool (they have cooled year on year since a peak in 1998)
    We will see more and more winter snows from increased precipitations. Large continental land masses have seen substatial snows last winter from this. As the air temperatures continue to fall, these snowfalls will once again return to Ireland in the coming winters.
    As the snowfalls get heavier once again in the northern latitudes we will see glaciers advance once more. This is already starting to happen with some more southern glaciers... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378144,00.html
    Watch it over the coming winter with reports of more and more devastating snowfalls fall across the large continental land masses. Hopefully we will be on the periphary of these - which I personally think we will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It would be great to see some decent snow here.

Advertisement