Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tom65 wrote: »
    What no Andy Reid? I haven't been keeping up with this much - is he injured?

no, Trappa sees Reid as the more traditional Italian number 10, he doesn't like playing that type of player in the centre of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I have to say i liked Trapa taking the job but keeping Keane as captain and Whealan in mid is a joke.

Whealan can't even make the Stoke team and Dunne or Given deserve that arm-band more than anyone else. Plus Andy Reis is one of our most talented players (excluding the s*****g Steven Ireland) and he can't make the team for some misterious reason:confused::confused::confused:

If we don't beat Georgia we might as well not think about getting to Sour' Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

corban wrote: »
    i'm gonna stick my neck out and predict that trap will take us to south africa, for the world cup.....

Will the team be going too ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I beleive in the Trap attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

No-one seems to be taking into account the fact that the Georgians will be legitmately playing for the pride of their country. For a small country I can see them going all guns blazing to get a result. How many of the Irish team can you say will be in the same situation?

Given the current geo-political situation I'll be well pleased if we scrap a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would you, really? Well then you lack serious ambition my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The ticket situation is interesting. From the BBC...
    The Georgians will not have the advantage of playing in their own capital city of Tbilisi after FIFA ordered them to stage the game at a neutral venue.

Irish fans been allocated almost twice as many tickets as their opponents at the Bruchweg Stadium.

I can't see the Georgians having a lot of morale either in light of recent political events. I think this is a golden opportunity for us to notch up a solid away victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

This game revolves around one thing for me.

Steven Reid.

He's the most important player we have right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

MOG7 wrote: »
    I have to say i liked Trapa taking the job but keeping Keane as captain and Whealan in mid is a joke.

Whealan can't even make the Stoke team and Dunne or Given deserve that arm-band more than anyone else. Plus Andy Reis is one of our most talented players (excluding the s*****g Steven Ireland) and he can't make the team for some misterious reason:confused::confused::confused:

If we don't beat Georgia we might as well not think about getting to Sour' Africa.

Typical Oirish attitude, Trap has come in and is trying different things. Wait to judge until after the game. I'm sure he has more knowledge of the game than you me or anyone on here will ever have.

Support FTW

Come on Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Given the current geo-political situation I'll be well pleased if we scrap a draw.
    I'll be quite disappointed if we only manage a draw, obviously not as disappointed if we lose but still, we should be aiming to win these types of games especially if we are looking to qualify.
    Plus we really need to be racking up the points as second place isn't even a guarantee of a play off place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Ireland don't beat Georgia tomorrow, they can forget about qualification.

End. Of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

not necessarily, just means that results against the bigger sides become absolutely necessary.

Des wrote: »

End. Of.

+1

not necessarily, just means that results against the bigger sides become absolutely necessary.

And Ireland, at very best, will garner one point from Italy. Possibly three from Bulgaria, but I doubt it.

End. Of.

agreed, we've got to get off to a good start if we are to have any hope.

herbie we haven't the cutting edge in our team to be able to take it to the bigger teams, it would be dangerous to go to them needing a win.

• Advertisement

And Ireland, at very best, will garner one point from Italy. Possibly three from Bulgaria, but I doubt it.

you never know, some horrible virus might sweep through the Italy camp a day before the game...

you never know, some horrible virus might sweep through the Italy camp a day before the game...

sounds like a plan.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You're right. Totti could pay the squad a visit

bing!

Hah, I agree I'd hate to be in a situation where we HAVE to beat Italy away or something. Lets just worry about tomorrow. I think we have left our most important player on the bench to be honest.

Italy and Bulgaria are more than capable of dropping points in Georgia/Montenagro as well. Makes getting the win in Germany even more vital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This game revolves around one thing for me.

Steven Reid.

He's the most important player we have right now.

Everything rests on him. End of.

Probably win 1nil tomorrow.. Keane or Doyle to score late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is this match being shown on any station other than five UK? Any channel that can be picked up here in Ireland (incl. on Sky)?

Setanta apparently dropped it after the change of venue. I may have a pub full of disappointed punters if five UK are the only channel showing it...

I thought it was on RTE? They have it on their schedule tomorrow don't they?

http://www.rteguide.ie/listings.html?date=1&channel=132

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Yeah it's on RTE, so is next Wednesday's game away to Montenegro. I was under the impression that Setanta had gotten exclusive rights to the away qualifiers but it doesn't seem that way. Maybe that will change in the new year but here's hoping it doesn't.

Seems to be serious confusion about this alright. Irish games should be on RTE for the rest of time. Should be in the constitution.

It's a European rule I think. I know it's a rule somewhere that competitive games must be on terrestrial television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

End. Of.
    I'm judging them mainly by the clubs the players play for and what I've read but take Berbatov and Petrov out of the Bulgaria team and it looks very weak. Certainly weaker than the Georgian team. Put them back in and there's probably not much between the 2 sides, on paper.

The Georgian's are very confident in their players judging by their fans forum. Not so confident in the team as a whole with Cuper just taking over.

Anyway, the first 2 games will give us an idea of the standard of each team.

I very much doubt Bulgaria will be getting anywhere near maximum points off the bottom 3 seeds though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm working tomorrow during the match and cant watch it unfortunately. Dose anyone know if it will be broadcast live on radio? Radio 1 or Newstalk maybe?

noodler wrote: »
    Seems to be serious confusion about this alright. Irish games should be on RTE for the rest of time. Should be in the constitution.

Whatever about it having to be on terrestrial tv, how is having it automatically on RTÉ isn't going to help the game in this country. The FAI would then miss out millions in tv righs, grass roots would thus receive less funding and there would probably be no coverage of the national league on RTÉ.

Football would suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's a European rule I think. I know it's a rule somewhere that competitive games must be on terrestrial television.
    No it's not, England's game is not on terrestrial tv at all.
    Each country has a list of events in the public interest, including sports, that cannot be sold exclusively to satellite tv, they have to be on terrestrial TV. Ireland's list includes all competitive soccer games, the GAA finals, the Grand National among others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No it's not, England's game is not on terrestrial tv at all.

And the English might not even get to watch highlights after a row with Setanta...
    The population of Andorra is 71,000 and it will be touch and go if that figure eclipses the number of television viewers for England's World Cup qualifier.

Not only is the match expected to be a walkover for Fabio Capello's millionaires against a team of part-timers, but fans will only be able to see it on pay TV operator Setanta.

Barring a last-minute deal with BBC or ITV, there will not even be highlights available on free-to-air channels so there is a real danger of it being one of the least watched England games of modern times.

Setanta say the terrestrial channels did not offer the right commercial terms to buy the highlights, while sources at BBC and ITV have suggested the Irish broadcaster's asking price was unrealistic.

Whatever happens, for those not travelling to Barcelona, the only live coverage will be limited to Setanta's 3.2 million subscribers as it will be for all England's away games during the qualifying campaign.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1052741/England-stars-enjoy-moment-spotlight.html

they're probably better off tbh, remember the last time they played Andorra away? Hehe

I always though there was some link between ITV and Setanta?

Or maybe it's just the boxing?:confused:

Big Ears wrote: »
    Whatever about it having to be on terrestrial tv, how is having it automatically on RTÉ isn't going to help the game in this country. The FAI would then miss out millions in tv righs, grass roots would thus receive less funding and there would probably be no coverage of the national league on RTÉ.

Football would suffer.

Meh. Its like 5 or 6 games a year. This is something for us fans. TV3's coverage is crap and unlucky (5-2 anyone).

Anyway I assume RTE do bid the most every year since they have it and therefore the FAI are getting ther most money they can from terrestrail broadcasters.

Meh. Its like 5 or 6 games a year. This is something for us fans. TV3's coverage is crap and unlucky (5-2 anyone).

Anyway I assume RTE do bid the most every year since they have it and therefore the FAI are getting ther most money they can from terrestrail broadcasters.

Would the 'fans' subsidise the millions lost if RTÉ automatically got the rights ?
    TV3's coverage is terrible but if they outbid RTÉ then it's better for football in this country that they get the games.

RTÉ usually do bid the most but we can't just give them the games at the detriment of Irish football just so people could watch with their preferred panellists and commentators. Which is what some people have suggested before.

No and why should they? Ordinary fans put enough money into football. Personally I'd say let them make the cash up some other way, something good should be done for fans. Bit of an academic debate considering RTE do outbid TV3 (otherwsie they wouldn't have it). Also RTE have our licence fee whilst TV3 do not-its not somethign thats likely to change in the near future.

No and why should they?

For the benefit of the game in this country. Then again most people in this country don't care about the structures in place to develop players only that they get to see Dunphy, Giles and Brady argue over the Senior International side every few months.

They'll bitch and moan when the International team is doing poorly though and some will even rejoice in the failures of the LOI.

Look , I wouldn't blame the fans for any of the Irish team's shortcomings. I seewhere you are coming from and I am just saying, considering the comparative quality of RTE's coverage, that having the games on RTE (they'd still have to pay of course) is a small way of paying back the fans.

Its just thinking out loud, in reality the game in Ireland benefits from a bidding war between TV3 and RTE, Im happy as long as RTE continue to win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Ah i am too tired to read this thread from the beggining so i will just say i expect 0-1 for Ireland tommorow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

3-0 to Ireland tomorrow.

Keane 34'
    doyle 43'
    hunt 68'

you heard it hear first!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

2-1 Ireland with Zizu Kilbane to score one of Ireland's goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

2-1 Ireland with Zizu Kilbane to score one of Ireland's goals

surely not with his head tho?! ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I expect a win tomorrow, hopefully with a couple of goals to spare, but its important that we have no first team injuries.

Does anyone know if a yellow card will knock any of the team out of the montenegro game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Does anyone know if a yellow card will knock any of the team out of the montenegro game?

Nope they all start with a clean slate tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is this game on the Radio...?I will be in the car for most of it.

• Advertisement

surely not with his head tho?! ouch

And did you hear he fractured his cheekbone to?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

The "Trap factor" to inject an extra bit of confidence and solidity in the team and we win 2-1. Robbie Keane needs to show up today.

3-0 to Ireland tomorrow.

Keane 34'
    doyle 43'
    hunt 68'

you heard it hear first!!!

As likely as Kilbane to score a hat trick against Brazil :rolleyes:

Dub13 wrote: »
    Is this game on the Radio...?I will be in the car for most of it.

LW 252 most probably, that's where RTE broadcast their football coverage now.

They are gone off the MW band totally.

Or they might have it on RTE R1 FM, but I really can't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We're relying heavily on the 2 strikers to score. I can't see Hunt coming inside and taking too many shots on goal. McGeady might but he's not a great goalscorer. The 2 midfielders will be playing too deep. With Duff out Keane will probably play deeper than usual. I fancy Doyle to get the first goal if we do get one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement