Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

2-1 whooo...:|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

F*ck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good finish from a really good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That is a fantastic goal to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

thank fuk we got the 2nd!

Kenia possibly deserved his goal, poor defending though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he looks to have a bit of talent that kid alright, bit too one sided perhaps but a definate spark there

3 points is 3 points i guess, it was good for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

two goals, first game win and an "away" fixture out of the way at that. sure we conceeded, but we played well enough.

Job done, just need to play a good bit better come wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

FT 2-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

2-1. Good to get a tough away match out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

At the end the most important thing for Ireland,they started good, with 3 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

TBH, I thought we were muck for at least half of that game tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just caught the last 30 mins of the game. Pity about the goal conceded so late. On to Montenegro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll take that 5 more times please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SantryRed wrote: »
    TBH, I thought we were muck for at least half of that game tonight.

+1

Second half was piss poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

a little bit fortunate tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Damn, that goal was annoying as hell :mad:

Doyle, S Reid and Kilbane the best performers i think.

McGeady was better, smarter even, in the 2nd half i think when he didn't always try to beat his man on the outside. Instead he'd check back inside sometimes, and take 2 defending players out of the games.

3 points in the bags at least but much to improve upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great performance overall. I think Steven Reid was Man of the Match closely followed by Kevin Doyle then Glen Whelan.

The most important thing about this is the confidence it will give this team going forward to Wednesday. We seen really organised football, we did not see headless football, for instance Kevin Kilbane shooting down the left with no purpose.
    Overall I'm very happy with the improvement in this team.

Edit to say what I mean by no headless football is that everyone knows their job on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Have Ireland ever NOT conceded in the last 5 minutes of an away Euro game? :p

eagle eye wrote: »
    Great performance overall. I think Steven Reid was Man of the Match closely followed by Kevin Doyle then Glen Whelan.

The most important thing about this is the confidence it will give this team going forward to Wednesday. We seen really organised football, we did not see headless football, for instance Kevin Kilbane shooting down the left with no purpose.
    Overall I'm very happy with the improvement in this team.

Edit to say what I mean by no headless football is that everyone knows their job on the pitch.

Great performance?:confused: Never.

It's great to see Trappatoni has a way he wants us to play though. You wouldn't of been able to see that with any of our past managers.

There was a few great performances today but on a whole we need to be a hell of a lot better on Wednesday. I hope to God McShane gets no where near the starting 11. Vucinic would destroy us if he's in the back four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I blame McShane.
    That's an embarrassing comment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I thought we did well. Not great, but enough. I think we deserved the win. Having said that, we'll have to improve to do well against Montenegro. I'd rate them above Georgia (who, by and large, were really poor). If we can cut out a wastefulness (not taking advantage of our superiority at times, conceding in the last few minutes), we should be able to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Good performance overall though the manager should realise his tactics backfired in the 2nd half: sitting back causes more problems than it solves. I'd like to see this team get rid of the mental fear instilled by McCarthy, Kerr, and Staunton and when they get a lead start believing in their ability to get another instead of fearing they will lose it so sit back.

It was crying out for Andy Reid to come on and hold onto possession and pull the strings but my take on that is Trap doesn't really know where to play Reid and there's a part of it which is him asserting his authority too - no way he genuinely ranks Andy as the 4th choice sub. If he uses this match to make that point and if Andy takes it on the chin and Trap then gives him a run on Wednesday, I think it's a smart enough move.

On the upside the organisation in play was much improved and every player clearly knew what was asked of him and many played with a real sense of purpose. I liked our patterns while in possession a lot - players making plenty of short bursts off the ball to be in a position to accept a pass, classic signs of good coaching.

Defensively we were quite solid overall and I have more confidence in that back 4 than any in the past few years. If you look at it objectively, it's hard not to say O'Shea is playing very well for Ireland at centre-half lately.

Over the past few years it's seemed that our only chance of creating lots of chances has been through the wingers, but tonight for me it looked like they were carrying lots of ball but rarely making clean breaks. With our improved setup down the middle it's only a matter of time before the wingers get much better passes to them to allow them really take on defenders. For me Hunt needs to put a bit more thought into it when in possession (and use his right foot) - he's not fleecing his man enough at the moment. He has it in him though and is great working back and is a far better option than Duff at the moment.

Pleasantly surprised by Whelan's contribution, but not by Steven Reid - I've thought for years that he will be a crucial player for us and he showed glimpses of why tonight. I'd like to see the coach giving him clear instruction to get forward more - that's when you'll see the box to box action that he is capable of.

Overall very positive and nothing feels shambolic about this team or manager, which is a very nice change.

We're all part of Trappi's army, we're all off to [insert South African venue name that ends in an 'ee' sound here].......:D:D:D

eirebhoy wrote: »
    That's an embarrassing comment. :D

Clearly taking the piss.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

GuanYin wrote: »
    Have Ireland ever NOT conceded in the last 5 minutes of an away Euro game? :p

All too often but at least we had a 2 goal cushion, oh and it was a World Cup qualifier :D

Clearly taking the piss.

:pac:
    I wouldn't have guessed since you've mentioned him about 3 times in this thread when he hardly had anything to do.

Anyway, I'm glad RTE highlighted McGeady's pass to Keane for the 2nd goal. Superb pass and I think it was with his left? Not that he has a weak foot.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I wouldn't have guessed since you've mentioned him about 3 times in this thread when he hardly had anything to do.

Anyway, I'm glad RTE highlighted McGeady's pass to Keane for the 2nd goal. Superb pass and I think it was with his left? Not that he has a weak foot.

Fair enough. But I really don't like the chap as a footballer.

My god he's rubbish. If we try to pass a ball in any way over in Montenegro with him in the team, we will give away the ball endless times. He's such a headless chicken.

Come back in 4 or 5 years. I'm fed up arguing for him. I'll just put my name down as one of the very few that think he'll make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

dunphy just said 'bullsh*t' on tv!! brilliant

bill didnt know where to look

• Advertisement

Fair enough. But I really don't like the chap as a footballer.

My god he's rubbish. If we try to pass a ball in any way over in Montenegro with him in the team, we will give away the ball endless times. He's such a headless chicken.

he set up our 1st goal. with a perfect cross.

he set up our 1st goal. with a perfect cross.

Eh. He came on the pitch when we were two up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He can make it. He clearly has the quality. His cross for the goal was a peach. But his general play in the first half was utterly shocking, and resulted in us being put under more pressure than we needed to. He needs to shape up, he's clearly got the potenial, I hope he moves to a higher standard league because he needs to push on, he's stagnating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

he loses it far too much by trying to do too much. Did anyone feel that Irlenad lacked a bit of bit? Seemed to be outmuscled quite a bit

:confused:
    Eh. He came on the pitch when we were two up.

what?

thought you were talking about mcgeady

:confused:

what?

thought you were talking about mcgeady

McShane:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Pleased with the result. I believe it was back in 2003 when we last won a game like this, i.e. away from home against a respectible yet limited team. Coincidently that was also against Georgia.

There are limitations to the team, and they need to play for 90 mins. But this is a start.

My Ratings
    Shay Given 6 Rarely tested. Comfortable for thew most part
    Steve Finnan 7 Energetic and Alive
    Kevin Kilbane 8 MOTM Contender. Strong and Slick with some nice tackles
    Richard Dunne 7 Up to any challenge which posed him
    John O Shea 6 Less sluggish then we have come to expect
    Aiden McGeady 7 Nice Assist and Full of Running
    Steven Reid 9 MOTM More of the same please
    Glenn Whelan 8 Fortunate Goal. Integent passing and tackling
    Stephan Hunt 6 Stong running but failed to establish a platform for Keane
    Robbie Keane 6 Starved of Service
    Kevin Doyle 9 Good Goal, and much energetic play

Replacements
    Liam Miller 6 Interested in getting involved
    Paul McShane 5 NOT A FULLBACK
    Andy Keogh 4 No Chance to make an impact.

Individually I think the players were excellent. The problems seem to emanate from the team's ability to play as a team. Once that zeal is created I think we will improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

so 3 points; not bad.

there were quite a few positives; McGeady's contribution for the goals. Whelan looked quite good, and S. Reid and Kilbane were their usual selves. overall the shape was much better than in recent years, and each player had his individual role defined, which is a positive.

I still think the result overall had more negatives than positives. we were quite fortunate with the two goals, they both came from unforced errors really. outside of Georgia's constant state of being near collapse in defence, we failed to really create much. once again we struggled to retain possession and made things are lot more difficult for ourselves than they should have been. plus we fell asleep in defence a few times, better teams would have scored 2 or 3 more on us tonight.

still, we got the result. it's early days in Trappa's career with us and he does seem to be making inroads. but on the back of today's performance i can't see us qualifying for a major tournament any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a good performance and a fair result. I would have to share the reservations of the RTE panellists about the substitutions. I'm sure I wasn't the only Irish supporter who got anxious upon hearing McShane was coming on. I thought we had some very good passages of play mixed in with some very lacklustre patches. With a bit more clinical finishing it could have been much more comfortable but we got a big slice of fortune with Whelan's goal. I'm also a bit uneasy about players being played out of position but it's early days so I'm not going to complain about that too much.

I had my doubts about Whelan (and still do) but he did a good job tonight. Steven Reid was our best player. The defence did pretty well although it looked more shaky when Finnan went off and we then conceded. Shay didn't look too troubled. Nice to see Kevin Doyle getting on the scoresheet.

Overall I'd say there were more positives from the display than negatives. I think Montenegro will be a tougher game but if we can use the ball better and show the same spirit then we can get a result.

Well done to the fans too who I thought where excellent (with the exception of the knob who ran on the field).

Good start anyway. Three points in the bag. Let's keep the faith.

montenegro will be a tough tough test for us.

draw i reckon.
    its 1-0 to bulgaria at halfime at the moment.(s.petrov)
    cyprus v italy just 10 mins gone. 1-0 to italy(d.natale).

• Advertisement

Lippi looks to have the Azzuri playing a 4-4-2.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/world-cup-qual-/2008/cyprus-italy-249436.html

Looks a strong and experienced line-up. I'd be delighted with a point in Rome come April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Overall am pleased enough. Angry about the goal conceded tho.
    Worried about his reluctance to play Andy Reid as is everyone else.

I hope he doesn't get darn stubborn about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

noodler wrote: »
    Overall am pleased enough. Angry about the goal conceded tho.
    Worried about his reluctance to play Andy Reid as is everyone else.

I hope he doesn't get darn stubborn about it.

I am very concerned that the manager doesnt like Andy Reid very much. One doesnt know whether he is a likable guy or not. Obviously I open to people telling me the true traits if the Andy Reid they know.

However, personal relationships can be crucial, and can predicated selection or deselection

100% there is something wrong between management and andy reid.

you dont bring a player of his quality along, and not use him.
    if he doesnt have a say on wed night, there could be big issues ahead.

unless he wants to use reid for home games, i dont know, but imo, somethings wrong.

cyprus 1 - 1 italy:eek:
    31 mins gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Het-Field wrote: »
    I am very concerned that the manager doesnt like Andy Reid very much. One doesnt know whether he is a likable guy or not. Obviously I open to people telling me the true traits if the Andy Reid they know.

However, personal relationships can be crucial, and can predicated selection or deselection

Indeed. tbh I didnt think he should at all play Whelan above Reid, but we got the 3. But, again, it was a very very lucky goal he scored, and Andy Reid certainly deserved his game. MOTM my arse. While not wishing to take away from a guy scoring on his debut, Kilbane was the clear winner. He turned up with an injury and gave 110%, was sharp as **** when he had the ball. Kilbane is approaching the last few years of his club career, so it isnt as if he plays his arse off for Ireland to convince top clubs, he knows he is too long in for Fergie or Big Phil to sign. But he plays his arse off for Ireland out of a genuine pride in his dads country, and despite the stick he gets he is ****ing consistent.

McShane coming on was another mistake, we didnt need him and he is not ready. My subs would have been C Morrison for Doyle (like Kilbane, Morrison has displayed 110% when he plays) and A Reid for Whelan. I backed giving Keogh his game at that stage in the match, but the other two.....poor descisions IMO. As a manager who has won so many I hope Trap made his descisions based on what he saw on the training pitch and what he thinks they can do, but on PL form....no, Miller and McShane shouldnt have been there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

OMG Please may Cyprus do to Italy what Cyprus have done to us (and probrably will do again):pac:

Nonsense, there's nothing wrong between A Reid and management.

This just wasn't right game for him. Come the home games, he'll be important when we need to unlock tight defences.

montenegro 1 - 1 bulgaria 64min
    cyrus 1 - 1 italy 37 mins

HOW GOOD WOULD THOSE TwO BE IF THEY WERE RESULTS!!:D

please god!:eek:

SofaK wrote: »
    Nonsense, there's nothing wrong between A Reid and management.

This just wasn't right game for him. Come the home games, he'll be important when we need to unlock tight defences.

wasnt the right game? how exactly, hes the one player we have who can get the ball, hold on to it, and create excellent passes, aswell as control passes around midfield.

thats exactly what we lacked at times during the game tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

tbh I am nearly more worried about Montenegro than Italy. Italy are absoloute cat right now and are not particularly anything to fear.

Advertisement