Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems adding a wireless access point to Permanet Arris WM550 Modem / Router?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

This problem has been puzzling me for months now so I'm going to give it one last go...any help would be really appreciated!

I have a broadband service provided by Permanet with an Arris WM550 Modem.

I would like to have wireless broadband access throughout my house but when I enquired, Permanet told me I would need to get my own Wireless Access Point as they do not provide a W-LAN modem.

I purchased a Belkin Wireless G Router (Model: F5D7230-4) and set it to Wireless Access Point mode. I just couldn't get this to work.

I now have a Belkin Wireless Access point and I tested it on another Eircom Netopia router (usual Eircom DSL setup) and it worked a treat.

However, when I connect this to the Permanet Arris modem, it just doesn't work. I can connect to the Belkin W.A.P. from my laptop fine, but my laptop just keeps searching for an IP address as if DHCP wasn't switched on.

However, DHCP is enabled on the Arris modem.

Here's the settings when I connect through a ethernet patch lead:

IP: 192.168.182.72
    Subnet: 255.255.248.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.176.2
    DHCP Server: 192.168.176.2
    DNS Servers: 4.2.2.1

So, the Permanet modem isn't your usual 192.168.1.254 etc gateway. Could this be my problem?

Permanet told me that their modem acted like a bridge and as it had DHCP, to just connect my Access Point and it should automatically provide wireless access.

I have also tried another router on the same subnet and set as W. A. P. mode, but I seem to get the same result, this doesn't make any difference.

Is there something I am missing here. Basically, my question is:

"How can I connect my Belkin Wireless Access Point to my Arris WM550 Modem to provide wireless Internet access around my house?"

I would be most (most) grateful for any help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

This is a bit of a long shot, but slightly similar to my own experience with a different router so you never know.
    I got connected to Permanet about a year ago and like yourself I wanted a wireless router for the house. The cheapest option was a Netgear adsl broadband router (DG834GB) from Argos. It's a broadband wireless router which is supposed to be connected to an Adsl line, but can also work as a WAP. The Netgear has a DHCP feature which is switched on by default. But the DHCP on the Netgear conflicted with Permanets DHCP. Once I switched DHCP off, all worked ok, i.e. my IP addresses came from Permanet.
    Interestingly I could never admin the Netgear once it had connected to Permanet. I had to use an ethernet cable to connect to it independently to change the settings. Thereafter its admin page could never be accessed and I had to press the reset button to make it accessible. Not a big issue, as long as you've saved the last config to disk so I never bothered to pursue it any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

It's something like this you need instead really : http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

It has one port for the "internet" side and 4 more for your LAN side.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

bushy... wrote: »
    It's something like this you need instead really : http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

It has one port for the "internet" side and 4 more for your LAN side.

Yes as bushy said you need a Router with a WAN port - This will take the Permanet's IP and route it the PC's that attach to your wireless router - If you made the mistake of purchasing a DSL router with a phone connection and a four port switch and cant return it.. You can get that to work with Static IP addressing! Let us know how you get on or want any help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

problem solved at long last...

for the Wireless Access Point / Router to pick up a IP address, I had to connect all and restart the Arris Modem

So simple after all the testing...but that's it....a restart and it dishes out a new IP address...

You learn something new everyday I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ccs714

I just got a Arris Telephonic TM502G cable modem with VOIP. I also have a Arris WM550 Modem. My cable company Cableone uses Arris modems. I got the TM502G which replaces the one I am paying $6.00 a month to rent. It has the phone hookup so I have an Internet phone and cableTV and internet. The WM550 is suppose to be a wireless modem. Do I hook that up to my TM502G, before I had a wireless linksys access point. Will the Arris WM550 take place of the linksys g i HAVE BEEN USING OR WILL IT WORK bettet with th TM550 wireless modem. I'm waiting for the WM550 to come in 4-5 days. What's with all the cable company using Arris modems. It was unknown to me until I did research. Did I waste my money on the WM550 or will it work just fine. Thanks for any help. What I learn hear or on my own I will pass on. Thanks, Carl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mossy_b

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Yes as bushy said you need a Router with a WAN port - This will take the Permanet's IP and route it the PC's that attach to your wireless router - If you made the mistake of purchasing a DSL router with a phone connection and a four port switch and cant return it.. You can get that to work with Static IP addressing! Let us know how you get on or want any help!
    OK I have purchased an ADSL wireless router, how can I hook this up with the Arris?
    Arris WM550 & Belkin FSD96030-4

How can I get this Belkin to be the wireless router working with the Arris Modem?

Also in Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 steveshaltz

When you turn on an arris modem it pairs with the Mac address of the device that it is connected to, so if you connect a new device such as an AP, the modem will refuse to talk to it.
    Turn off power to the arris, connect the AP, power up the AP, then power up the Arris. The arris will find the MAC address of the AP and from that point on, only talk to the AP. the two devices should then work together properly.
    Hope that this is clear.
    Steve

Advertisement