Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

garages & engine oil types

Options
  • 03-09-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Just wondering, With lots of specific oil requirements for different modern car, Do the garages (dealer & indy) really use what they should or is it two big barrels, One with 5w30 for the modern diesels and another with 10w40 for everything else. This is what ive seen in two garages lately.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

brundle wrote: »
    Just wondering, With lots of specific oil requirements for different modern car, Do the garages (dealer & indy) really use what they should or is it two big barrels, One with 5w30 for the modern diesels and another with 10w40 for everything else. This is what ive seen in two garages lately.

A Good mechanic will use the specified oil as recommended from the manufacturers IE a Ford Transit post 00 will use a detergent based 5W-30 weight oil while a lot of older diesels would use a more 10W-40 oil. Petrols would use a different grade although I have seen oil that can be used for both. He may keep several large drums of the more common oil used and get the less common oils as he needs them from a factors. There is also fully syntetic and semi sintetic, You cannot mix them!! Some older cars use straight oils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

+1. GM only supply the above spec in bulk. I get my bulk oil from a BMW main dealer (stop laughin Mods!), and they only use the same, I think they have a 0W30 oil as well but it comes in in a tanker, IIRC.

A Good mechanic will use the specified oil as recommended from the manufacturers IE a Ford Transit post 00 will use a 5W-30 weight oil while most othe diesel cars would use a more common 10W-40 oil. He may keep several large drums of the common oil used and get the less common oils as he needs them from a factors. There is also fully syntetic and semi sintetic, You cannot mix them!! Some older cars use straight oils.

Just to clarify. 10W40 is a semi synthethic oil. 5W30 is a fully synthethic oil. 0W30 is a fully synthethic oil but lighter again than the 5W30 with greater viscosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Darragh29 wrote: »
    10W40 is a semi synthethic oil.
    not always - i have seen several 10w40 oils which are mineral - like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VH wrote: »
    not always - i have seen several 10w40 oils which are mineral - like this one

Last time I was in Halfrauds they only had mineral 10w40 in their own brand, no semi-synth. Definitely not always semi-synth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭brundle

+1. GM only supply the above spec in bulk. I get my bulk oil from a BMW main dealer (stop laughin Mods!), and they only use the same, I think they have a 0W30 oil as well but it comes in in a tanker, IIRC.

Are you saying that this is the norm, to have 2 oils for all cars? or 3 at best

Are you saying that this is the norm, to have 2 oils for all cars? or 3 at best
    Two or three big oils and a number of smaller less common oils. Oil can be stored in large self pumping tanks, 40 Gallon drums on their sides with a tap, 5 Gallon drums, 5 Ltr cans although I see more of the quality fully syntetic being sold in smaller 4 LTR cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

If you indicate that you are willing to pay for the correct oil you should get it. Many many punters express an unwillingness to go the extra mile & end up with a substitute.

If I can buy good 5w30 for €20-€25 for 5L can, why then are the dealers charging silly money for extra special oil that they are not using?

If I can buy good 5w30 for €20-€25 for 5L can, why then are the dealers charging silly money for extra special oil that they are not using?
    Quality fully syntethic oil can retail to well over e45 a gallon. Garages are entitled to make some mark up, obviously they will be getting it cheaper in bulk than you or me. I do my own oil / filter change and there is not too much to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I dont know where you buy your oil but a decent 5w30 does not cost €20-€25. For a 4.5L retail can of Castrol Magnatec 5w30 you'd be looking around €45-50 and for their Edge offering it would be closer to €65.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

afaik castrol don't sell magnatec in the usa - i'm led to believe it's cos the yanks think it's a rip off.

otoh I can get manufacture's own brand 0w20 in 1l bottles for less

VeVeX wrote: »
    I dont know where you buy your oil but a decent 5w30 does not cost €20-€25. For a 4.5L retail can of Castrol Magnatec 5w30 you'd be looking around €45-50 and for their Edge offering it would be closer to €65.

I have paid 50 euro for 4L of Castrol edge once but that would be top class stuff. Im talking about the stuff the garages tend to use, which they willingly sell for about 25/ 5L (5w30). That is the point Im trying to get at with this thread, they just have a barrel of 5w30 and you can be sure its not castrol edge and that goes into a whole bunch of cars.

I have paid 50 euro for 4L of Castrol edge once but that would be top class stuff. Im talking about the stuff the garages tend to use, which they willingly sell for about 25/ 5L (5w30). That is the point Im trying to get at with this thread, they just have a barrel of 5w30 and you can be sure its not castrol edge and that goes into a whole bunch of cars.
    Most reputable garages will use a branded oil, Agip, Total, Castrol, Duckhams etc) but you will get some back street places that will use stuff like "Roadstar" which I have seen as low as e15 a gallon. (I wouldn't even use this stuff to flush an engine :eek: ) To be on the safe side if you are worried you can purchase your own oil and stand over your mechanic pouring it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is also fully syntetic and semi sintetic, You cannot mix them!!
    The only reason not to mix synthetic/part synthetic oil with mineral oil is the change in protection that might result. The oils themselves have no problem mixing! Better any oil than low oil or no oil - i.e. don't hold off topping up when your level is low just because you cannot get a specific oil.
    Just to clarify. 10W40 is a semi synthethic oil. 5W30 is a fully synthethic oil. 0W30 is a fully synthethic oil but lighter again than the 5W30 with greater viscosity.
    The SAE rating (10W40 etc.) bears no relationship to the type of oil. It merely refers to the viscosity range of the oil. You can get oils with the same SAE rating in mineral (normal), part-synthetic, and synthetic varieties.

A good read: http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/cmm/YaBB.pl?num=1202386435

Not your ornery onager

Most reputable garages will use a branded oil, Agip, Total, Castrol, Duckhams etc) but you will get some back street places that will use stuff like "Roadstar" which I have seen as low as e15 a gallon. (I wouldn't even use this stuff to flush an engine :eek: ) To be on the safe side if you are worried you can purchase your own oil and stand over your mechanic pouring it in.

RTDH, can you give us some idea of your qualifications or your particular degree of expertise in relation to the advice that you are dispensing on the forum??? I'll put money on that you are a taximan.

esel wrote: »
    The only reason not to mix synthetic/part synthetic oil with mineral oil is the change in protection that might result. The oils themselves have no problem mixing! Better any oil than low oil or no oil - i.e. don't hold off topping up when your level is low just because you cannot get a specific oil.

The SAE rating (10W40 etc.) bears no relationship to the type of oil. It merely refers to the viscosity range of the oil. You can get oils with the same SAE rating in mineral (normal), part-synthetic, and synthetic varieties.

A good read: http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/cmm/YaBB.pl?num=1202386435

Ya better tell Autodata this...

Advertisement