Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much discount on UK forecourts?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of heading over to bring back a MPV for my wife - something like a 1 yr old C-Max. Theres hundreds on Auto Trader at around 10K sterling and I'd probably buy from a franchised dealer. What sort of discount on the advertised price should I be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think what people on here say is that a minimum of 10% and aim for 20% discount. When bargaining also get him to factor in the fact that a years warranty is not much use to ya as your not gonna travel back with the car so you want to receive discount for that too

I.m sure other s will have some advice too. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

In my experience, its not as clear cut as that. Some garages will offer no discount at all, just said that the price. Take it or leave it. I dont think there is as much flexibility as there is in Republic. I think many price the cars with the actual price, rather than the actual price plus 10% to allow for bargaining. I think if you got 10%, you would be doing extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

DO NOT go to england to buy expecting a discount i buy nearly all my cars out there and what you see is more often than not what you get the max i have got is £150 pounds to get diesel and a pack of fags!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Thanks for the input - I was thinking the max I could negotiate would be around 5%, but given the slowdown of the economy over there maybe there is scope for more. However it seems that UK dealers are quicker to drop prices to keep things moving so they have less to bargain with. I'll be looking for a service and full tank of diesel anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I generally ring 5 or 6 garages, some hear my dublin accent and are just rude, I dont think they would sell me the car for the full asking?? Some straight off say 200 pounds max and I just hang up. Some are open to offers, now I usually buy very non mainstream cars so I will get more off but I recently got 12k sterling off my last car in june (30%!!!) Before that I got 6k sterling off a hummer that was in for 28k (~22%). Just say you are a garage in Ireland and whats their trade price on it, no valet, tyre kicking ect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Mickk wrote: »
    I generally ring 5 or 6 garages, some hear my dublin accent and are just rude, I dont think they would sell me the car for the full asking?? Some straight off say 200 pounds max and I just hang up. Some are open to offers, now I usually buy very non mainstream cars so I will get more off but I recently got 12k sterling off my last car in june (30%!!!) Before that I got 6k sterling off a hummer that was in for 28k (~22%). Just say you are a garage in Ireland and whats their trade price on it, no valet, tyre kicking ect...

What were you buying Mick that you got 12k off, a 911 or something?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

try trade sales in Slough. you won't get a discount and they will treat you like ****e (They are the company featured on the Apprentice) but they offer pretty good prices on nearly new cars and they know nothing about the rip off prices in Ireland so they will presume you are a local.

They are about 20 minutes from Heathrow as well.

As for discounts, I don't think there will be too many on offer at the moment as a lot of used cars are heavily discounted to try and shift them (I've been looking myself) however, if you are not part exchanging, I would expect a few Hundred quid off to close the deal, so your 5% may be about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Mickk wrote: »
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Brewster wrote: »
    What were you buying Mick that you got 12k off, a 911 or something?!?!

Na never liked them, got a quattroporte in just before the vrt went up ;)

Advertisement