Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the most beautiful views in west Cork?

Options
  • 03-09-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I’ll be spending some time in the region shortly and have my eye on the Berna Peninsula, but would consider staying on Sheeps Head Peninsula also or at least will be taking a drive around it.

I’m really into doing the whole scenic thing; I find it very calming and I’ll probably take a few photographs also, but I haven’t visited west Cork before so I thought I’d better ask the people who know: so where exactly are the most beautiful views in west Cork???

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The entrance to Old Head Golf Links near Kinsale, you can head towards the cliffs and its a magnificent view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Thanks TheDriver. While you're at it, would you have an opinion about Bantry Bay? - I'm wondering which peninsula has the best views of the bay. I'm renting a cottage and am not sure where to stay. Maybe I'd be better off on the far side of Beara Peninsula looking towards Kenmare Bay???

Sorry bout all the questions; I just want to stay somewhere relatively remote and also lovely but haven’t a clue of the area. Thanks.

Have just realised the far side of the peninsula & Kenmare bay is in Kerry territory so I may have offended some folks - ooops! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thats a long way west for me to give you any sound advice, sorry.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thats a long way west for me to give you any sound advice, sorry.

That's ok TheDriver. It all looks breathtaking from what I can see, so I think I may just drive around till I'm dizzy and I'm sure it'll be a lovely experience anyway. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

The Beacon in Baltimore, I always love the view from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

hi,

At clonakilty, head for Ardfield, pass by Red Strand, on towards Galley head lighthouse, then Long Strand for a good mile long beach. On to rosscarberry, then turn off for Drumbeg stone circle, Glandore and Union Hall.

If you go to bantry, then head for Glengarrif and take the mountain road over to Kenmare, its great.

There is another great road on the way to bantry that drops froma height right dow to the sea, but for the life of me I can never remember it, and its only when Im going to a match down that way that i knock across it!
    I will try and find it on a map for you.

That is just a few to get you going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Rosscarbery, Leap (pronounced "lep"/Glandore and Glengarriffe are amazing, seahorse. Leap even has an "alpine" look to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Dudess wrote: »
    Rosscarbery, Leap (pronounced "lep"/Glandore and Glengarriffe are amazing, seahorse. Leap even has an "alpine" look to it.

And just prior to this, you could visit Ring, Clonakilty & Dunmore. This would take you nicely onto the above locations. Bring a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Dudess wrote: »

I love Glandore, any time that I go to visit my granparents in Clonakilty I always try to make a trip to Glandore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

seahorse wrote: »
    I’ll be spending some time in the region shortly and have my eye on the Berna Peninsula, but would consider staying on Sheeps Head Peninsula also or at least will be taking a drive around it.

I’m really into doing the whole scenic thing; I find it very calming and I’ll probably take a few photographs also, but I haven’t visited west Cork before so I thought I’d better ask the people who know: so where exactly are the most beautiful views in west Cork???

Thanks in advance. :)

Follow the goats path on Sheeps Head to find amazing unspoilt views of Bantry Bay.

MC

Some great advice on this thread, I'm going to print it out and take it with me! Thanks folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

One poster mentioned the kinsale head and another galley head. Galley head is like a mini version of kinsale head and a lot less visited. Going out with a girl from the area and think its a great spot. If your lucky there could even be mouse racing in the local pub, strange but true. The view down to the long strand is class.
    Glandore is great for a cuppa tea. Leap georgous. Sheeps head is lovely, very much the less traveled of the southern peninsula. Beara is a must if you like hiking.
    enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AOMURCHU

diff recomend drive up to the top of mount gabreil (with telescope observatory) for the best view of west cork. on a clear day you can see the curvature of the cork coast around beara. Not good idea if a nervous driver, narrow and steep climb. Enjoy:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Mount Gabriel is a radar station NO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Mount Gabriel is a radar station NO?

I think it's a big hill, with some sort of a radar station on top of it.

Maybe it's a mountin, with a raider station. :rolleyes:

Advertisement