Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended 3rd person shooters

Options
  • 04-09-2008 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a couple of decent third person shooters for the pc, please? Something preferably with multiplayer co-op missions or some form of multiplayer. I was thinking about Gears of War but I've read it's very buggy, especially the multiplayer side of it. Has anyone any insight into this, has it been patched sufficiently? I've also gotten mixed reports on Lost Planet.

Cheers!

bloat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A mix of old and new off the top of my head. Co-Op is a very rare thing in PC gaming so none here but most have some for of MP.

Crysis
    Stalker (no mp)
    Half Life (all of them, even the original as it has aged well)
    Far Cry
    Quake 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Add Rainbow6, to that list. Includes co-op

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    A mix of old and new off the top of my head. Co-Op is a very rare thing in PC gaming so none here but most have some for of MP.

Crysis
    Stalker (no mp)
    Half Life (all of them, even the original as it has aged well)
    Far Cry
    Quake 4

none of those games are 3rd person, did you even read the title?

The Splinter Cell series is quite good. Also I'd consider Tomb Raider: Legend to be a 3rd person shooter/platformer.

Also, be warned, GoW for PC DOES NOT have co-op support for one PC. To play co-op you have to hook up 2 pc's with 2 copies of GoW over a network to play together.

Also, a sleeper hit to play is Infernal. Its looks amazing and has pretty decent gameplay. The last few levels of it are also excellent. It's a game a lot of people passed up but to me it was a fairly enjoyable with an interesting storyline (not unlike the recent Devil May Cry 4)

Also, saying that, Devil May Cry 4 is also out for PC but is better played with a 360 controller as its not really a shooter but still great fun.

EDIT: Forgot to add, Resident Evil 4 is also great. The graphics are a bit dated but can be easily updated with any of the community high definition texture packs out there, if you get it, do a search in this forum for threads on how to make the graphics in the game a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

For single-player only, you could give Max Payne 2 a try, for all of the 6 or 7 hours that it lasts. Regarding co-op or multi-player, there really isn't much out there, except for Splinter Cell as mentioned. But that's more stealth than shooter as well. There just isn't an abundance of 3rd person shooters for the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Punisher

Any of the splinter cell games

A second vote for max payne 2

Giants : citizen kabuko is well old but its good fun.

(I don't know if any of them are multiplayer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It might be a little old school now, but as far as as team and objective base FPS go, you can't beat Enemy Territory. It's free as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Team Fortress 2
    Call of Duty 4
    Battlefield 2
    Bioshock
    Call od Duty 2
    Unreal Tournament 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2
    Call of Duty 4
    Battlefield 2
    Bioshock
    Call od Duty 2
    Unreal Tournament 3

3PS, not FPS!

Splinter Cell for sure, decent games.

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition is also very good. I liked it, although some of the boss fights where very frustrating as I was aiming with a 360 controller at these tiny yellow weakpoint spots on the bosses with the analogue stick. Its got a very weird difficulty curve also, some bosses will be ridiculously easy where as others you'll spend a load of retries on trying to defeat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Dark Sector is worth a play through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    3PS, not FPS!

Ah, the clue would have been in the title :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

IMHO your going to be hard pushed to find a decent 3PS, you should try and broadin your horizons by trying out a few FPS, www.americasarmy.com, its free and its used as the US Army as a promotional and training tool. Definitely worth checking out, if only to see what its all about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Thanks for the replies. I've played most of the first person shooters that were recommended but I have a mate who, because of some kind of vertigo problem, can't play fps'. True story, he looks at one for 20 minutes or so and then has to go and have a good throw up. He can play third person shooters or any other genre of game no problem, the freak. :)

@ L31mr0d
    I was going to give Lost Planet a go but I'm intrigued by Infernal. Regarding Gears, when you say it can be played co-op over a lan, what about over the internet?

Thanks to Pappy o' daniel for suggesting Punisher too, I probably wouldn't have given that a second look.

Thanks for the Splinter Cell suggestions, I played them before but for the moment, I'd consider them too slow, looking for something little more fast paced with more explosions. :)

I must say, I was quite surprised when I went to have a look at what 3ps were available. I would have thought there would be a good few but obviously developers can't see past fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ahhh ....3rd person and not forgetting Fallout 3

Battlefield Heroes will be out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

deus ex
    it would probably cost about a fiver these days.

ok: For some reason I remember it as being 3rd person but I just googled it and it's not. Think I'm confusing it with syphon filter.

so: syphon filter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Freedom Fighters anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Most 3rd Person Shooters are on console, Right the ones i have on PC are all the Hitman games and the splinter cell games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Max Payne 1+2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

MOH wrote: »
    Max Payne 1+2

Yeah i have Max Payne there for the PC and console, And the graphics are a little better on PC, Good game...but the nightmare things freak me out! :D

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    @ L31mr0d
    I was going to give Lost Planet a go but I'm intrigued by Infernal. Regarding Gears, when you say it can be played co-op over a lan, what about over the internet?

Yeah you can play it over the internet but you need a live! account. Infernal is good but, imo, lost planet is better.

In saying that, don't pass up Infernal, it looks as good as any of the 3rd person shooters out there. Also, it lacks pace in the first few levels but makes up for this in the later levels when you start unlocking more powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hitman is a great series, the first one and the latest one (blood money) are brilliant. Was never too keen on silent assassin or contracts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Mass Effect. It may be classed as an RPG as opposed to a shooter, but it's a shooter all the same. Can't believe no plays this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

Mercenaries 1+2.Playing 2 at the moment it's pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I thought hitman 1 was brilliant though I couldn't get past the scarface level. I thought the level design was excellent in that you had to use cunning and stealth to complete them.
    Hitman 2 was disappointing because the level design was sh!t. I think they decided to make the game easier, but just made a 2nd rate standard shooter. You could just blast your way through the game in this one - which really missed the point imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I loved the first Hitman and the second. With the second it was easy to shoot through if that's what you wanted and if so great but if you chose to get silent assassin it was great fun. I played it to absolute death. Contracts was alright, mostly a rehash of the first game and I honestly prefered the firsts missions over the revamped ones. Blood Money is great again though. A little bit short but packed with enjoyable scenarios.
    This topic has made me realise I don't play a lot of TPS's. Will remedy this.

Advertisement