Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arena "Flakjak" Goggles Disscussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

where can u get anti-fog solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Cormac - I just cleaned the goggles and re-applied the fogtech wipes last night. Sunday at GTAC should be a good test. Fingers crossed.:)

Cleaned goggles and used the Fogtech wipe. Played all day at GTAC yesterday. No problems. :)
    Wednesday night might be different but hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

gerrowadat wrote: »

I got 2 pairs from goggleoverstock, the lad on there responds to email and will defo ship here. Dunno how much tho.

€38 euro for two pairs delivered
    from google overstock
    took two days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

little heads up on these lads, be very careful what you clean them with, i used some anti glare stuff from one of the specs shops and it f*&ked the lens up, it seems to have reacted with the lens and made it dull and mat looking., ive given it a good clean then sanded it and polished it though and they look brand new again, remains to be seen if they'll still be un foggable though.,

vtec wrote: »
    little heads up on these lads, be very careful what you clean them with, i used some anti glare stuff from one of the specs shops and it f*&ked the lens up, it seems to have reacted with the lens and made it dull and mat looking., ive given it a good clean then sanded it and polished it though and they look brand new again, remains to be seen if they'll still be un foggable though.,

thermal lenses are very soft
    need to be careful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

Tigger wrote: »
    thermal lenses are very soft
    need to be careful

Tigger
    not sure if there is a way to tell but are the goggles you got authentic/ actually work/not fog up.
    ah your know what i mean...:D

PK

penguin-o7 wrote: »
    Tigger
    not sure if there is a way to tell but are the goggles you got authentic/ actually work/not fog up.
    ah your know what i mean...:D

PK

you mean do they say "erina googles velly gud not fog please" on the box?

nope they are the real deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

Tigger wrote: »
    you mean do they say "erina googles velly gud not fog please" on the box?

nope they are the real deal

cheeky:p

yes thats what i meant where they the real deal

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i got a pair of these just recently. initially they appear to be amazing. you breathe on them and they dont fog. you cycle in them, they dont fog up. but 15 minutes into a proper skirmish i was blind with fog. i could not clear them all day. i removed the grill covers (which are junk, and have no actual vent holes in them. just fancy shaped plastic) top and bottom, which of course would have allowed bb's access to my eyes if i was unlucky, and even with all that air access i was fogged. i ended up ditching them and borrowing a pair of mesh goggles.
    of course i will admit the day was cold with a lot of moisture in the air, and i was wrapped up warm. maybe i have a hot face (although most girls seem to dissagree, those who dont probably have fogged up goggles too) and i admit everyone else who had any non-mesh goggles were fogged up too.
    maybe these goggles should be labeled "may fog up slightly less than others" goggles, instead of the slightly hyperbolic "the ultimate weapon in the fight against the forces of nature" (from the arena industries website)
    again, cave emptor and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I also tried them recently. There is a greasy surface on them; which needs to be cleaned off but you need to be careful doing so. When i did that clarity was good and they didn't fog up at all even though I was running around like a mad thing.
    I made the mistake then of putting them on my forehead for a while then they fogged up like mad, after I cleaned them they totally fogged up as I had obviously removed whatever protective layer was on them.
    The morale of the story seems to be don't touch the inner surface at all and they should work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd be skeptical about some of the negetivity surrounding flackjacks.

There is a supplier selling flackjacks below rrp online, to which I believe alot of people are buying from. However, they are below rrp, because they have failed quality testing. They are effectively defective. They might be slight issues, but might be severe, the risk is you do not know which you are buying.

If you get flackjacks for below 60 euro, ive no doubt they are the defective ones.

My flackjacks have fogged alright...in wales...in heavy mist and fog, which rain, whilst i was wrapped in 6 layers of clothing and running all day and smoking plenty.

No goggle in the world wont fog with that happening.

But while Ive been using them in this country they have been nothing but perfect.

( and they didnt even fog in wales, they just had a weird waterfall effect)

The morale of the story seems to be don't touch the inner surface at all and they should work fine.

Thats exactly it,
    flak jaks, and any other goggles really, need to be spotless clean in order to work.
    ive been using them for months, as have a few members of my team with good results.
    the night be fore i go out to game, i always wash the lens with warm soapy water, dry it and then polish clean.,

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If you get flackjacks for below 60 euro, ive no doubt they are the defective ones.

Well i'm knocking them out at 50 euro and I've no doubt that mine are completely legit.

The dodgey ones arn't actually fake as far as i know, their legit, just not QC passed.,

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

I think he's refering to the Goggleoverstock.com ones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

ah , o.k.

Ours come from the u.k.

Beast ASI wrote: »
    I think he's refering to the Goggleoverstock.com ones.

Thats the ones,
    i couldn't remember where id seen them, their all over ebay as well.,

I think i stated in my post they failed quality testing. Not that they wre copies.

I've had a few people come up to me on sites asking "why are my goggles fogging up so bad?"

Visually there seems to be no difference, the only difference is the price tag, and I'd guess that these people having problems got their sets from online retailers abroad, to which are gotten from that surplus place, to which these goggles didnt pass quality testing.

is there any proof of this theory? it does not make any sound business sense for arena to release such stuff. and they obviously released them at some stage. and if they were illegally released, why did they not put a statement for as such. mine were bought in america from a reputable distrbuter. not some dodgy chinese store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭P.K

well, i bought the cheaper pair from ebay(15 quid delivered)

Straight out of the box
    the Fame at the nose was slightly cracked,
    Also a few other marks/ cracks on the frame
    but they were fog proof, but after the 3rd time or so wearing them they began to fog,(was in the rain)
    so i began to use soap on the lenses, before i go skirmishing and theres not a bother.
    but some of the other lads who paid the full price for a "Brand new pair"
    they seem to have no bother with them.

so all i can really say is that theres a reason why they are cheaper is because there is something wrong with them, ya just got to find out what. i did and was lucky it was just the frame. then again i got a really good pair of goggles 15 euro

• Advertisement

well, i sent arena an email asking what they think the problem is. i bought a product from a reputable sports eshop in the states. not from ebaybanned. i payed 30usd for them. i want to know are they 1.counterfiet 2.QC failed 3. genuine but suck. so far it is all just theories around here. no offence guys.
    i was goign to buy the mosambiks directly from arena, but their site quoted me 60usd for postage!!!! glad i didn't get them now. i think i will stick with my flakjaks, only will fit a fan, do some modifications and try soap etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

Anyone using these in conjunction with a face mask/Shemagh? just wondering if their still fog proof when used with face protection?

ok, i wrote to Arena industries asking what is the status of the goggles floating around for cheap on the net, and a guy named Mike Conway gave me this reply.
    there were 60,000 de-certified Flakjak goggles made several years
    and have been and are being sold at reduced prices on the internet. The
    issue with these goggles was with the lenses. All of the goggles were
    tan and are our original design. There have been several upgrades and
    changes made to the Flakjak from those original production parts. I am
    guessing that based on a $30.00 purchase price that the goggles you
    bought are from the US Army de-certified goggles

simple, and to the point. i guess that clears the rumour mill a wee bit. good to know for future purchasers of the goggles. nice one Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭P.K

Anyone using these in conjunction with a face mask/Shemagh? just wondering if their still fog proof when used with face protection?

i use them on the occasion with a shemagh, as long as i put a bit of soap on the inside f the lens i was fine.

as for the above, what ever standard there trying to meet must be quite high,well by the looks of things mine seem to strong enough for airsoft at least,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

well as from what i heard the reason they didnt meet standards was because they couldn't take a 12gauge at close range....but in all fairness if somebody is shooting you with a 12gauge up close you have a lot more to worry about then your lense failing!lol

Bernie Mac wrote: »
    well as from what i heard the reason they didnt meet standards was because they couldn't take a 12gauge at close range....but in all fairness if somebody is shooting you with a 12gauge up close you have a lot more to worry about then your lense failing!lol

like you said, you heard, not official statement. Could be the lenses falling out? could be the lenses arnt properly coated? Could be many a thing.

I saw one pair in hrta from someone who paid the lower price, and they constantly fogged up, constantly, the venting system on his was significantly different from mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

well i guess you get what you pay for :p

Advertisement