Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I had been wondering about this

Options
  • 04-09-2008 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

What specifically did Obama accomplish as a community organizer?
    But when it comes to lasting accomplishments, Obama's list isn't very long. His greatest hits seem to have been [1] a successful effort to convince the city of Chicago to locate a jobs placement office on the far South Side and [2] his part in a drive to push the city to clean asbestos out of a housing project in the same area.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YTMwYjg0ZmEyNDFiN2UzYjBjNjQyNmQzOTRlNjFhNGY=

The south side of Chicago, by everybody's estimate, is still a hellhole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

actually would be interested to see a summary list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I dont think the list is long enough to justify a summary tbh

I really thought one of the Obama myth fighters would have jumped on this by now and swung into action posting how Obama was present at the signing of the Magna Carta.

Sand wrote: »
    I really thought one of the Obama myth fighters would have jumped on this by now and swung into action posting how Obama was present at the signing of the Magna Carta.

I guess it is all the republicans have to go after.

Of course by attacking the Community organisers you have pretty much alienated a load of votes. But no Republican would ever do that?

Ooops
    I dont think the list is long enough to justify a summary tbh

So the answer is you don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Its ironic Republican supporters have just developed a taste for judging politicians by their previous job experience.

One could have wished they had developed it a little earlier, when it might have caught out someone who's job record consisted of failure in cushy jobs set up for him by his rich Daddy and playing pretend soldier in the Texas Air National Guard to avoid serving in Vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

You forgot the 6 year term as governor of 1 of the biggest states in the union where he won re-election with a landslide then hey?

cooker3 wrote: »
    You forgot the 6 year term as governor of 1 of the biggest states in the union where he won re-election with a landslide then hey?

And look what a success he has turned out to be.

His track record on raising living standards, a successful economy and increasing Americas standing in the world speaks for itself. So much so that McCain & Palin couldn't stop talking about what a success their party's 8 years in government have been led by him.

Oh no wait, back to reality ........

Neither of them mentioned once any achievements by their party in the last 8 years in government, even they know there isn't any. It's pretty much a 100% record of failure.

Bereft of any policies, better to rail against the "washington elite" as if they were someone else, and hope voters are stupid enough not to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

cooker3 wrote: »

A shaved monkey would get re-elected in Texas if it was running as the Republican candidate

A shaved monkey would get re-elected in Texas if it was running as the Republican candidate

You sure about that?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_Texas
    BenjAii wrote: »

His track record on raising living standards, a successful economy and increasing Americas standing in the world speaks for itself. So much so that McCain & Palin couldn't stop talking about what a success their party's 8 years in government have been led by him.

Neither of them mentioned once any achievements by their party in the last 8 years in government, even they know there isn't any. It's pretty much a 100% record of failure.

Bereft of any policies, better to rail against the "washington elite" as if they were someone else, and hope voters are stupid enough not to notice.

I am just pointing out you omitted a rather important piece of information in your little rant against Bush. There are a lot of things you can criticise Bush over but it doesn't further ones cause in an argument when you intentionally do stuff like that.
    I just really hate partisan crap like that (on both sides)

He also left out his failed business before becoming Govener.

The only example Bush should ever be used as is that any idiot has a chance of being president.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

His track record on raising living standards, a successful economy and increasing Americas standing in the world speaks for itself.
    And don't forget the success at raising the federal deficit to historic highs, from Clinton era 5.5 trillion to Bush era 9 trillion (see US Treasury Report).

Hobbes wrote: »
    He also left out his failed business before becoming Govener.

The only example Bush should ever be used as is that any idiot has a chance of being president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

and yet there neck and neck with the democrats , what does that tell you

irish_bob wrote: »
    and yet there neck and neck with the democrats , what does that tell you

You're right it's odd, given everything you would expect the Democrats to have a strong lead.

Something about this reminds me of the UK election in 1979. Despite the disastrous Labour government, Margaret Thatcher was behind James Callaghan in the polls right up until polling day.

Similarly then she was the candidate for change (albeit from the opposite side of the political spectrum) and at the time a radical choice to many because of
    her sex, as Obama is because of his race.

So the answer is you don't know.

Answer is I cant find any list of significant achievements. I found an Obama timeline once, but all it listed was the date of his memoirs being released and his election to state and national senate.

Is there some source that explains what exactly Obama has done to objectively justify his elevation to the Dem Presidential pick other than simply be himself - an extremely charismatic and capable politician who outflanked Clinton on the left until he had won the nomination and is busily swinging right into the center ground to try to beat McCain?

Oh just saw your post about how he did in Univerity. Missed that achievement.

Answer is I cant find any list of significant achievements. I found an Obama timeline once, but all it listed was the date of his memoirs being released and his election to state and national senate.

Is there some source that explains what exactly Obama has done to objectively justify his elevation to the Dem Presidential pick other than simply be himself - an extremely charismatic and capable politician who outflanked Clinton on the left until he had won the nomination and is busily swinging right into the center ground to try to beat McCain?

Oh just saw your post about how he did in Univerity. Missed that achievement.

Its not hard to figure out, you can just read it form his wikipedia entry.

He had a couple of jobs after graduating from Columbia, until famously working as a community organizer from the ages of 24-27. In that capacity he was Director of Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization in Chicago. During his three years as the DCP's director, its staff grew from 1 to 13 and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000, with accomplishments including helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization.

He then spend three years at Harvard getting a law degree. In addition at Harvard whilst getting his degree he held a full time positions at Editor & President of the The Harvard Law Review, the US's foremost legal journal.

Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, as a Lecturer for four years (1992–1996), and as a Senior Lecturer for eight years (1996–2004).[24]

In 1993 Obama joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 12-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004.

Obama was elected to the Illinois Senate in 1996 and served there until becoming a member of the US Senate in 2004, the 5th Black person in US history to do so.

A pretty impressive set of achievements I think most people would agree. We could also point out his expertise in constitutional law, will be badly needed after all of the damage done to it by the right since September 11th. And his constant focus on regeneration & self-help for disadvantaged communities, will be welcome, should he be elected, for the great majority of Americans who have seen their living standards and economic well being steadily get worse and worse under the Republicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how could obama win, i thought clinton won by doing a new labour, a third way, very business friendly, the most accurate criticism of obama are that he too is too corporate friendly has he got the corporations on side?

A pretty impressive set of achievements I think most people would agree.

So he was a successful lawyer and got elected to the state and national senate.

The largest budgetted organisation hes had a role in running so far is the DCP with a budget of 400,000 dollars....

AND he did well in university.

No legislative achievements or accomplishments worth mentioning? If I recall correctly he recently defended his "most liberal" voting record in the senate by explaining he was too busy campaigning to legislate and only showed up for the do or die votes where every vote counted. Beats sitting on the fence voting "present" I guess.

No legislative achievements or accomplishments worth mentioning? I guess.

I didn't mention them, but they are all detailed on his wikipedia entry amongst plenty of other places.

By anyones standards his academic record would fairly be categorised as intellectually brilliant, not merely "well" though I realise that will carry little weight with most Republicans.

For the record John McCain has absolutely no executive experience of anything whatsoever, being merely a junior officer in the Army and then a politician for the rest of his life.

Ultimately Republicans constantly harping about Obamas lack of "experience" is a smokescreen. By almost every measurement the Republicans (mis)government has made life worse for Americans, thus far McCain has nothing different to offer from his predecessor, a man he has rarely disagreed with & now has no alternatives to.

I have a feeling that's what people will be voting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

he has only rarely disagreed with Bush in recent years. They nearly tore eachother apart in the 2000 elections. After Bush killed him off with a smear campaign McCain nearly left the Republican party altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well that was disagreement for campaignings sake i bet he still voted with him in the senate

Advertisement