Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The state of irish Radio TODAY?

• 04-09-2008 7:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

iv been meaning to make this topic for a while now..

anyway

whats going on man i mean like why do they always play the same song everyday 3 times a day and its usually pop
    are the majority of Radio listeners 14 to 20? no there not

i mean like the new Verve single for example its getting far much air time as it is and its a crap single
    cant they play other songs from the album?.. surely
    i asked my dad this and he says the Corps pay the radio just to play that song over and over

i listen to Today Fm from 7:00am to 4:20 and the best thing is Ray Foley cuz hes a hilarious bastard but even he has a tendency to play **** music and he said it himself he knows nothing about music

94.9 The rock has a good idea with just 60's to 90's music

does anyone have any thoughts on irish radio they'd like to share or on anything i said

im sorry if its all mixed and jumbled but thats the way my head works i have tried to not confuse you :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's basically this, the primary function of a radio station in most cases is to make money. It's not to promote a particular type of music, or even music in general, it's purely to make money. They make money by advertising. Advertisers spend money depending on the amount of listeners a station or show has. Therefore, all the stations sound the same because there is an opinion among them - which, in fairness, could be right - that most people want to listen to top 40 music (because, if it's in the top 40, it's selling, and if it's selling, people want to hear it), so that's what they play. I personally think that the market needs a ballsy new starter who'll plow their own furrow, but would I put money into such a station? probably not, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hi StonedParadox, I think you'l find that there are at least three other very 'similar' threads re Irish Radio running at the moment, & maybe the answers to most of your questions are in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

And tell your Da from me he's talking through his hoop ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

to reply to the actual topic i in brief: much better state than it was in 10 years ago.

ie. look at all the alternative DJ's now making a living on 2fm, Today FM and now, legitimately on Phantom. And there's Newstalk too, especially the sports coverage that brings a whole new dimension to Irish radio

on the other hand, during 2 fm's broadcast from the Electric Picnic (of ALL places) on Saturday they played Boyzone's new single :eek: still some way to go methinks

Advertisement