Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car van/4x4 from Northern Ireland?

Options
  • 04-09-2008 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at importing a Car Van or Double Cab vehicle from Northern Ireland, do I have to pay vat on the Vehicle in the North? Is it only €50 to vrt the vehicle down here

I'm looking at a nissan navara doublecab..

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hi Guys,

Is it only €50 to vrt the vehicle down here

I'm looking at a nissan navara doublecab..

tks

The Navarra is classed as a full Category "C" commercial vehicle so VRT should only be €50 (L200 is a Category "B" vehicle so would be 13.3% VRT).

Haven't a clue about the VAT situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i'm vat registered here so I don't pay the vat in the north...

I don't think i'd be paying it here as i'd only be claiming it back anyway...not sure if that's correct...calling the revenue to clarify:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

would be great if ya lets me know what they say

called the revenue.....there not sure about the €50 vrt on the Navara, it all depends if the maxmium weight is 3500kg or more then it qualifies for the €50 vrt...

The revenue say I don't have to pay any vat just the VRT, i'll be out with the accountat in an hour or 2 so i'll quiz him on the vat implications.....

all sounds good so far.....

called the revenue.....there not sure about the €50 vrt on the Navara, it all depends if the maxmium weight is 3500kg or more then it qualifies for the €50 vrt...

Doesn't surprise me that the Revenue aren't sure :rolleyes:

Weight is under 3500KG, but the lenght of the load area as a % of the total body lenght (or something like that) means it's classified as a Category C vehicle.

Any new Navara's I've had registered have all come back with a VRT receipt stating €50 paid.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me that the Revenue aren't sure :rolleyes:

Weight is under 3500KG, but the lenght of the load area as a % of the total body lenght (or something like that) means it's classified as a Category C vehicle.

Any new Navara's I've had registered have all come back with a VRT receipt stating €50 paid.

Yea they mentioned the %of the total body lenght, I think they said 45% had to be a load area...

It's a 05 navara i'm looking at...do you know what catogory the pathfinder falls into?

It's a 05 navara i'm looking at...do you know what catogory the pathfinder falls into?

Looking at the 04 Car Sales Guide it has the Pathfinder Double Cab pickups listed as Category B vehicles. 05 model should be the Navarra though rather than the Pathfinder Pick Up, shouldn't it?

Not sure, Looks like the Pathfinder is a little over budget anyway...

I talked to the Accountant and the I only have to pay the vat if I want to sell the vehicle so it'll probably stay in the family for a good while:)

The €50 Vrt applies to all car vans with only 2 seats as well, I presume...

Finding it hard to find many websites in the north selling commercial vehicles...

The €50 Vrt applies to all car vans with only 2 seats as well, I presume...

Finding it hard to find many websites in the north selling commercial vehicles...

Most car vans are Cat B so have 13.3% VRT. Most of the 4x4 vans are Cat C because of the Load Area / Body Lenght ratio.

You won't find many converted Car Vans or 4x4's in NI. Because there is no VRT it costs more to buy the Passenger version and convert to a Commercial so very few companies use them. Might as well get an Estate car and put the seats down.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Might as well get an Estate car and put the seats down.

I'd hardly get away with the €50 vrt on an estate......

It's looking like the Navara, the moneys right on it......wouldn't mind a swift estate all the same....

• Advertisement

I'd hardly get away with the €50 vrt on an estate......

It's looking like the Navara, the moneys right on it......wouldn't mind a swift estate all the same....

Sorry - meant for the people in the North.

You could convert an Estate in to a Commercial if you wanted to. I think some VW dealers offered the Passat Estate as a Commercial.

Good luck with the purchase, but you may want to have a read here first http://www.knackerednavara.co.uk/

We don't have any older ones on our fleet, but a prospective customer is looking to replace his 05 Pathfinder that suffered Engine Failure.

It's a 05 from a Main Nissan Dealer.....are they really that bad?, I couldn't suffer another engine failure....i've a subaru sitting out the back waiting a new engine whenever I get round to it...don't think I could handle it all again....

any other suggestions in the €50 vrt bracket.....I was getting a more or less straight swap for my 02 merc (uk plates)against the navara...

I had a flick through a late 2004 commercial guide and the only 4x4's coming in as Cat C are either single cab Pickups, or the Defender 110 Double Cab.

The Isuzu D-Max / Rodeo has only just been re-classified from Cat B to Cat C so is probably over budget (and a bit crap by all accounts).

You have me turned off the Navara....

I've got 05 freelander tD4 in my head now, again the money is right.....i think i'm about to crack:D

thanks for all the help.....going to play with the ros site for the rest of the day...

If it's the TD4, make sure it's Auto as the only vehicle I've ever driven with a stiffer clutch than that is the Defender!

Advertisement