Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom-Direct Debit

Options
  • 04-09-2008 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I pay my Eircom bill monthly by direct debit which suits me, what doesn't suit me is the fact they don't give a specific date when they will take it out. Its anyones guess really. I'm on a tight budget so I need to know whats going out when. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm sick of going to check my balance only to find out they've taken money out 3 or more weeks after I got the bill and forgotten the money is due.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

lindtee wrote: »

I pay my Eircom bill monthly by direct debit which suits me, what doesn't suit me is the fact they don't give a specific date when they will take it out. Its anyones guess really. I'm on a tight budget so I need to know whats going out when. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm sick of going to check my balance only to find out they've taken money out 3 or more weeks after I got the bill and forgotten the money is due.

Hmm .. well i guess you could stop paying by direct debit and pay the bill normally.

However if you 'forget' when you owe them money i think you'd have the same problem doing it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Eircom direct debits are taken 21 days after the date specified on the bill. The only variation should be that it'll be taken the first working day after this if the 21 days falls on a weekend or bank holiday.

There's a number of other ways you can pay but paying by DD gives you an extra week, IIRC.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hey there OP

I know its horrible things coming our from your account especially when moneys tight.

But doesnt it say on the bottom of the bill when eircom is gonna take the money from your bank account? I know 02 does on its bill and it is always a 2/3 weeks after the bill arrives but they do state what day they are going to take it out. If eircom does this maybe you should make a note of it on a calender or in a diary or something so that you can make sure you have sufficient funds on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Eircom direct debits are taken 21 days after the date specified on the bill. The only variation should be that it'll be taken the first working day after this if the 21 days falls on a weekend or bank holiday.

There's a number of other ways you can pay but paying by DD gives you an extra week, IIRC.

SSE
    I thought that too but it varies an awful lot. I just treat it as though it's coming out 14 days later and therefore have no problem budgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take it that it will be 21 days from receipt of bill. It just seems when I've paid one eircom bill, the other arrives in the post v soon after! Considering canceling the direct debit, and paying bill on-line when I receive it so I know where I stand financially!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

you could always bring the bill into the local post office and knock a few euros off it each week and this will come off your next bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have direct debits set up on all the big bills but as I get paid every 4 weeks, I pay them with internet banking before they are due to come out.

If I don't get a chance to pay them in time then I know the direct debit will pay it. That way I still get the extra week to pay or avoid the NTL charge, but have the choice to pay before they take it out.
    Hope that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dulmidiid

But i got also problem whit eircom Direct debit when they send me my bill they don,t give me a right date when they will take it out they say after i got the bill 2 week after we will take form your bank but only one week after they took out I don,t know what to say even when i call the customer care they don,t talk to me 100 times they give me wrong number even they gave me wrong email. If I didn,t sign 12 months contract I would like to cancel any thing about eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't let eircom/meteor/emobile anywhere near my bank account, there's no extra charge for paying your bill in the post office, that's they way I do it. Cancel the direct debit and just get them to send you the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dulmidiid

I did I said I need to pay the bill in the post office but they said u have to pay deposite for 300€ that is cryz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

dulmidiid wrote: »
    I did I said I need to pay the bill in the post office but they said u have to pay deposite for 300€ that is cryz

I think that's illegal for them to ask you for 300 euro, call comreg. You shouldn't be penalised for paying in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP could you cancel with the bank and not tell eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ESB and Board Gais both request a deposit for those that won't pay by direct debit, so I don't think it would be illegal for eircom to request the same. UPC go so far as to charge you more money if you don't pay by direct debit. It's the company's prerogative to decide how they'd like to be paid.

It is a requirement of the direct debit scheme that you be given 14 days notice on when the DD is to be taken. If they don't give you this, then you can make a complaint to your bank and the IPSO. Normally, a bill will state a due date, and the direct debit will be taken on or after this date.

Advertisement