Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox 3 & Vista

• 04-09-2008 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭

Just started using FF3 with Vista 32b

Having problems with it stalling and then when I exit and try to open up new one its saying its still running

Go into task manager and yes it is but I cannot kill it. Only way around this is to reboot

Anyone else have this problem or is it a known error with FF3 ? Never happened with XP

Using Google Chrome or IE at the moment but they dont block annoying flash adds etc

Any other browsers that can block these

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive had problems with it on vista. Im back to using IE again. Upon installing FF3 and opening it, it completely froze my machine. Couldnt do a thing. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but wont work right.
    I'll continue using IE for the next while, while trying out Chrome which works fine at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm on Ultimate 64 bit and no problems whatsoever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I've home premium and running it without any problems at all too.

Have you tried running Firefox in "safe mode" (option via the start -> programs link) to see if it still behaves badly? You get a few diagnostic options that way too which may clear the problem.

Secondly, when encountering odd problems with Firefox, it's worth trying a new Firefox profile in case something has got corrupted in the last one (you can later switch back to the original profile if needs be). To create a new profile, launch firefox from run/search option with a -p flag after it, ie type:

firefox.exe -P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'm on Ultimate 64 bit and no problems whatsoever!

+1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

This used to happen to me on XP. I could kill it by going into the processes tab and ending it there. Hasn't happened on Vista(64bit) though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I've 64bit ultimate too and no problems like that.

From time to time it will start using 50% ish of my cpu even when it's idle. That goes away once i restart it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sarcasmo2005

no issues where with FF3 on vista 64-bit. (well I do have problems getting vmware server 2.0 to work properly but that's a differnt kettle of fish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

no problems here on 4 vista pc's and firefox 3 , maybe try a fresh install?

also i found ff did not like it with chrome installed , it complete locked up anytime i launched it , only fixed once i uninstalled chrome..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I had this problem when I bought a new laptop recently with Vista - drove me mad having to reboot every time it froze up, as I couldn't end Firefox any other way. I started to use IE7 intermittently, but the same problem kept happening, even with that! I could surf for about an hour, then everything hung and I knew it wasn't my connection, as my desktop PC was still going strong on the same wifi network.
    I searched on Google (as you do) and came across numerous similar complaints in loads of different forums. I tried many of the fixes mentioned - I can't even remember them all now, tbh, but nothing solved the problem. I was tampering with things like IPV6 that I'd never even heard of before :o
    What finally worked for me was uninstalling ZoneAlarm as my firewall and I now use another free one from PC tools - I have Avast as my antivirus and I didn't want to change that. Apparantly, there is some combination of security programmes (Zonealarm, Avast, AVG etc) that affects some computers running Vista - I have no idea what the technical explanation (if any) is, just that it worked for me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Removed ZA pro and installed Comodo and it seems to be working ok now for the time been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I too have had some problems with FF3 freezing on Vista HP SP1, no way to kill it apart from a reboot etc... However there doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it is happening and it hasn't happened for a week or two now. I can't remember if it was happening with FF2 also though (I think possibly it was but am not 100%), as that may indicate that it's not necessarily a FF3 problem. Maybe an issue with a Windows Update file? Sorry I can't offer more than that...

Head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Working fine here too in conjunction with Vista Business SP1.

Advertisement