Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New garda Volvo XC 70

Options
  • 04-09-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Here is the new garda Volvo for the response units.

garad2_201764t.jpg

This a little piece taken from todays indo:
    "The members will operate in purpose-built, Volvo XC 70 police specials, which are based on an estate car but have a reinforced chassis and modifications to the brakes, engine and suspension -- with the off-road capability of a jeep.

Affixable indentifying strips, flashing lights and an identifying matrix will mark out the turbo diesel cars, which will carry patrols of two or three officers and firearms ranging from MP7 sub machine guns and Sig handguns to less than lethal weapons.

The gardai are the first police force in the world to use this vehicle. Four XC 70s will be in use initially but an order has been placed for a total of 30. "

Seems the Gardai are getting some serious equipment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeh, as long as they don't write them off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

30?! how much armed response do we need:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Majority of gardai havent recieved the proper training to drive patrol cars at speed. Probably a lack of resources is the root cause of this.

At least however they are getting some badly needed equipment thou which is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

whats the retail on one of these before making the cars Gardi-Friendly ??

about 30-40ish then the mods brings each upto around the 100k mark... so basically 3 million for 30 cars... we could buy poland or romias army for the day with that kinda money.... enough people to take out all known criminals... job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

30?! how much armed response do we need:confused:

One per county and a few extra for Dublin ?

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    One per county and a few extra for Dublin ?

25 for limerick, 2 for south , 3 for dublin/louth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

At least they are starting to look like a police force!

Now give them all the proper training to drive these! I suppose the armed response unit will all have the required training done to drive these in extreme circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

They should evaluate the Legacy Outback as well. It'll do the same for less money.

Good enough choice though. Better handling than a SUV, versatile enough for rough terrain and decent performance. I don't mind the cops spending some dosh if they put it to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

cabrwab wrote: »
    At least they are starting to look like a police force!

Now give them all the proper training to drive these! I suppose the armed response unit will all have the required training done to drive these in extreme circumstances.

I agree that they should be trained in advanced driving techniques to cut down on the number of accidents they are involved in. I hope they will receive adequate firearms training to reduce the number of friendly fire incidents too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Ah in fairness i think they are given good firearms training. Its not just any ol'chief wiggam that can produce a gun for the laugh!

Well accidents happen i suppose too! But the amount of gaurds driving normal squad cars untrained in crazy.
    Money well spent i suppose, rather see it going into that then into cowen and co's pockets for themselves :D

• Advertisement

imho they should have the traffic corps trained to do everything... Drive Fwd, rwd even 4wd, in all situations but it costs so much and guess who foots the bill for it ??

if they did , tax goes up and they get slated...

catch 22 asuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

S.I.R wrote: »

about 30-40ish then the mods brings each upto around the 100k mark... so basically 3 million for 30 cars... we could buy poland or romias army for the day with that kinda money.... enough people to take out all known criminals... job done.

Do you think that the Gardai will pay sticker price for an order of 30 cars, not to mention VAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No doubt these high preformance cars will be equipped with sofisticated ANPR cams and will be used to apprehend Westlink toll dogers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

dsc06380.jpg

72934ula.jpg

eoin_s wrote: »
    Do you think that the Gardai will pay sticker price for an order of 30 cars, not to mention VAT?

they will or ill let eddy hobbs and george hook off their leashs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Hardly 60-70K mods per car?? Surely the wiring changes and paint job wont cost that much?

Retail for these starts at 60K, so stripped of tax you are probably looking at 35K each at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

And 30 XC70s - I'd say that's Volvo Ireland's target done for the next few years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

2008-Volvo-XC70-23.jpg

it's just about my dream-car! Maybe I should blow all my money! I'd like higher-profile tyres though :D

lucky Garda, maybe it would be cheaper if I just sign up instead...

England has been using Volvo T5s etc for years, so suppose about time things got more serious here. I feel embarrassed everytime I see a Yaris flashing its blue lights. Where's the subconscious fear in that?? A XC70 in the mirrors would be a little bit more intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

They look the part anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

hottstuff wrote: »
    They look the part anyway.

yep, if only they had a rwd bias, instead of the 90% fwd no matter what you do. There'll be no four wheel drifting in these. :mad:

• Advertisement

RedorDead wrote: »
    Hardly 60-70K mods per car?? Surely the wiring changes and paint job wont cost that much?

Retail for these starts at 60K, so stripped of tax you are probably looking at 35K each at least.

35K plus transport, plus factory overhauling:

beefed up engine via new ecu , better brakes and suspention, around the 5-6 k

Good tyres, around 1000 for the semi slick near racing profile... at the least.

out fitting with lights, new age anti-hack radio & gps not to mention there cages to sepperate the gardi from the criminal, around 4-5k again.

then theres the labor which in most Upmarket factorys that cater to this, around the 75-80 per hour with taxs included.

also theres the importing which works out at about 500 per veichale... oh and thats before you even get into it.

thats around 50k each, bargin basement style

oh and all the spare stuff for the booth like guns armor and first aid kits... they would be brought from home i'd say...

not cheap at all though regardless of the country.

Makes sense they would choose these.

Wasn't one of their primary aims after a recent incident to get a vehicle that offered the best passenger protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

ronoc wrote: »
    Makes sense they would choose these.

Wasn't one of their primary aims after a recent incident to get a vehicle that offered the best passenger protection?

Right enough, there was an incident in dublin (garda car T-Boned) not so long ago, and the whole thing was a mess.
    Anyway, the volvo is agile enough to keep up with a speeding car and ruggad enough to cut across fields. If the criminal has a 4x4, they probally won't be able to out run a C70 and unless they go actually offroading, the C70 should also keep up.
    Good choice alright, but I would also have gone for the Subaru option. Better value and quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Right enough, there was an incident in dublin (garda car T-Boned) not so long ago,

T-boned at 60mph+. I dont care what car you have it wont protect you from a 60mph side impact.

Iv always had an issue with the way the traffic corps drives normally. Iv seen some appalling driving done by marked and unmarked squad cars in no particular hurry with no Siren or lights on.

Best of luck to them i hope there put to good use and the training goes in. I'm just hoping police reform actually happens and we get the professional police force we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

pburns wrote: »
    They should evaluate the Legacy Outback as well. It'll do the same for less money.

Good enough choice though. Better handling than a SUV, versatile enough for rough terrain and decent performance. I don't mind the cops spending some dosh if they put it to good use.

Theres an unmarked legacy going around drogheda, saw it giving chace one day, serious grunt out of it, must be a beast of a motor, dont know the specs on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

then theres the labor which in most Upmarket factorys that cater to this, around the 75-80 per hour with taxs included

Huh:confused:?

The Guards certainly don't pay VRT, and I'm almost certain they don't pay VAT either.

Re-mapping an engine wouldn't "cost" money as such, we all know that what the manufacturers do is they just put in a different chip to raise the power of an engine and then charge about €2-3k more for an otherwise identical engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

then theres the labor which in most Upmarket factorys that cater to this, around the 75-80 per hour with taxs included.

And if you are talking about the company which does the fit out to the Garda cars, I personally wouldn't describe it as Upmarket (although the quality of work is excellent).
    ssmith6287 wrote:

Theres an unmarked legacy going around drogheda, saw it giving chace one day, serious grunt out of it, must be a beast of a motor, dont know the specs on it

Sure that's not one of the Forrester's? There are about 30 throughout the country. Blue, Red and Silver - all early 06D reg's. Last of the 2.0T 180bhp models before they upped the engine to the 2.5T.

I was down at the "Upmarket factory" when those were being fitted out in Feb 06.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

The guy on RTE (Paul Williams??) said that Volvo themselves did the prep work for these as it works out cheaper than buying off the shelf xc70s. Makes sense could be a good money spinner for Volvo (not in the robbing us kinda why) but if these things become the defacto high power cop car across Europe like in the states with the Interceptor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Cartell actually has a unique description for it.
    Registration 08D64342
    Make VOLVO
    Model XC70
    Description DS XC SPEC GEARTRONIC 70 SV D5 AWD GARDA
    Fuel Type DIESEL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

R.O.R wrote: »
    And if you are talking about the company which does the fit out to the Garda cars, I personally wouldn't describe it as Upmarket (although the quality of work is excellent).

Sure that's not one of the Forrester's? There are about 30 throughout the country. Blue, Red and Silver - all early 06D reg's. Last of the 2.0T 180bhp models before they upped the engine to the 2.5T.

I was down at the "Upmarket factory" when those were being fitted out in Feb 06.

yep my bad, wine forrester

Advertisement