Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most annoying singing voice...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My number 1 vote goes to the guy from Kings of Leon. Not being able to sing does not make him a great artist.

California Conor from the Thrills

Amy Whinehouse

All Brit pop voices a la Lily Allen, Kate Nash and the wagon from the Ting Tings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kate Nash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nightwish wrote: »
    My number 1 vote goes to the guy from Kings of Leon. Not being able to sing does not make him a great artist.

Me too. I hate his voice.

I was afraid to nominate him initially because I always think he could have some kind of speech impediment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

callaway92 wrote: »
    Kate Nash
    thats a good one callaway92 and your singing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

xbox36016 wrote: »
    thats a good one callaway92 and your singing

Do I know you:confused::confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Right now it has to be Katie White (lead singer) of The Ting Tings. Most songs like them tend to be under 3 mins and no surprise Shut Up And Let Me Go clocks in at 2:55. Goodness knows how they got signed to Columbia.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lily Allen
    Kate Nash
    Bono
    Leona Lewis, Beyonce, etc
    Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent and their ilk
    Jennifer Lopez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

For me, the absolute worst is Einar Orn Benediktsson. It's a shame because I really like The Sugarcubes but if he ruins so many of their songs with his bellowing :(

Other voices I can't stand:
    Chris Martin (incredibly nasal and whiney)
    Gerard Way (nasal, whiney and shouty)
    Brett Andersen
    Yer man from Supertramp
    Estelle (you're not Lauryn Hill, stop trying. It's embarassing)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Macy fucking Gray. Aaaaaargh!!!!!!!

The others have been pretty much covered -

Lily Allen and whoever else wants to be like her.
    Damien Dempsey
    Bono
    Any of those arsehole divas
    Wanker from the Thrills
    David Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Heather from M People.

I so glad they died a death and vanished. Good riddance. :pac:

Madonna (now). She is a great singer but her voice is just like a 60 year old oul wan who smokes 40 Benson a day.

Will poxy Young

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Glassheart wrote: »
    That's absurd.

I would have to say Amy Winehouse.

amy has an amazing voice

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

One thing that really annoys me is the current trend for male singers to affect lisps or "baby" voices while singing.

e.g. Sean Kingston Byooowtifuw girw - that song drives me up the wall.

There are a few others out there that are doing the same thing too - why don't they just sing? You don't need to put on some funny accent or voice affectation, just sing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Duffy.

In fairness, she can really sing. It just wrecks my head the way she does it.

QFE

There are far too many annoyances to list here from over the years, but someone that's really getting on my wick lately is the woman from Alphabeat...hell just ALL of Alphabeat.
    Someone mentioned Mika...spot on...someone give that man a laryngectomy.

Oh yeah and sorry but Cathy Davy's voice annoys me a bit.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Mike Skinner yet :D

Completely forgot to mention Sean Paul. Horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I take back Amy Winehouse and instead nominate Matt Bellamy.

Glassheart wrote: »
    I take back Amy Winehouse and instead nominate Matt Bellamy.

You're not doing very well at this thread are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

*insert emo frontman's name here*

Why do they all have the exact same whiney voice? Tom Delonge from Blink-182/A&A/BCR deserves a mention too. And the OP is right, Coronas frontman gets a biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Yeah anyone from the "Mariah Carey" school of vocalists. And I know I'm gonna take flak for this but Bob Dylan, vocally, is a nightmare. Great songwriter but that nasally whine is like running fingernails down a chalkboard!!

HA HA you managed to get away with it... and I'm sorry if I draw attention to you by quoting you here but PLUS ONE for the Dylan voice... I just can't hear past it... a devout music fan for decades... comitted, open, and willing to listen to anything... but I just can't STAND his voice. Phew. Such a relief getting that out of the system...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You're not doing very well at this thread are you?

No better or worse than you i guess...

I'm not saying he can't sing.He just has an irritating voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Chuchu wrote: »
    HA HA you managed to get away with it... and I'm sorry if I draw attention to you by quoting you here but PLUS ONE for the Dylan voice... I just can't hear past it... a devout music fan for decades... comitted, open, and willing to listen to anything... but I just can't STAND his voice. Phew. Such a relief getting that out of the system...:D
    Most people would agree he can't really sing, even his fans. It's hardly a controversial opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

blastman wrote: »
    Most people would agree he can't really sing, even his fans. It's hardly a controversial opinion.

Yep I would have thought so alright... but I have been in quite heated discussions over this... I reserve the right to not like him and pretty much don't have a lot else to say on the topic, but some people just don't accept this and in turn reserve the right to think you have crap taste in music as a result!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I just hate all the Diva-esuqe 'oversoul-ed' voices that instead of singing 'the note' have to warble all around it. The first, and worst, example of that was Maria Carey doing Nillssons 'Without You'.

I'm a sentimental old fool, but i like the original. It's understated. His kinda mournful voice takes a nice tune and sends it skywards. And downwards.

AND THEN that shoutey bint gets her mitts on it and it's just a hystrionic 'i can hold this for ages' fest for what seems like ages....

course the song sold by the truckload and everybody's been doing it since...

oh - and that twat from Coldplay gets on me tits as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Morrissey;

Boring, Lifeless and way too melodramatic to be taken seriously by anyone other than depressed 15 year olds.

Neil Young;

When are his balls going to drop? He always sounds like a whimpering child, with a very nasal whine.

Morrissey and Neil Young?

Who else - Roy Orbison? Elvis? Pavarotti?

You don't know much about music sunshine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

Bob Dylan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Lil Wayne.
    He has the most annoying voice in hip-hop and looks and sounds like he has an IQ of about 10.
    lil-wayne.jpg

And yet, people go on, like he's some sort of genius. I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

Blisterman, Lil'Wayne uses vocoder which gives him that electronic sound.

I dont really like that sound (especially not over used) so I'd throw t-pain in and akon (i hate his chipmunk sound he uses).

I'd also nominate : Daniel O'Donnel, B*Witched, Ronan Keating, Mariah Carey (ooogooggohhhhh!), Britney, Soulja Boy (:mad:) and i'm sure there's more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Love planxty but andy irvines voice is woeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Blisterman wrote: »
    Lil Wayne.
    He has the most annoying voice in hip-hop and looks and sounds like he has an IQ of about 10.
    lil-wayne.jpg

And yet, people go on, like he's some sort of genius. I just don't get it.

Look at the state of his jocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Didn't an Australian soldier accidentally shoot himself dead listening to yer wan from The Cranberries?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

James bloody Blunt.
    Mariah F***ing Carey eeeeeeeee---eeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Chris Cornell on everything post soundgarden.
    Eddie Vedder can have quite a grating voice.

Advertisement