Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If God exists then hell cannot logically exist.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

anti-venom wrote: »
    what I was referring to was the Christian image of hell in particular; the bottomless pit of fire with the uber villain overseeing the torturing of souls for eternity.
    I believe the pit of fire is original with christianity, but it's a small enough flight of miserable fancy to add that to the eternal misery of Sisyphus' stone-rolling and Pirithous' nothing-much-at-all delivered by the hand of the infinitely nasty Hades.
    The book I mentioned traces his development from the old to the new testament and how he morphed in character as the theology of theodicy developed in tandem with monotheism.
    Interesting -- I'll look up that book. Satan's been as movable a feast as god has been.
    From a benign angel to the embodiment of evil; Satan was and is the ultimate scapegoat with which the faithful have divested God of any responsibility for the ills of this world.
    ...and indeed, arguably divested themselves of much responsibility as well if they believe that evil only happens because a bloke with a forked tail and smoking trident shows up to mislead moose-shootin, bear-hunting, hockey folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

robindch wrote: »
    ...and indeed, arguably divested themselves of much responsibility either if they believe that evil only happens because a bloke with a forked tail and smoking trident shows up to mislead moose-shootin, bear-hunting, hockey folk.

Yet, a pig with lipstick is still just... a pig :D

OT but couldn't resist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I've always thought why would God bother with hell? If people go there for eternity it doesn't really teach em anything 'cause they won't be doing anything ever again other than burning... sorta pointless. If hell did exist it would prove (among other things) that God is evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

4:Therefore if an infinitely compassionate and omnipotent God exists Hell cannot logically exist.

Is the inverse true? ie if Hell exists, then God can't exist, because I hate to tell people, Hell exists and its in Norway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Is the inverse true? ie if Hell exists, then God can't exist, because I hate to tell people, Hell exists and its in Norway

There's also a Hell in Michigan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

I went there for a daytrip once. I bought my wife a souvenir. I told her, "I hope you appreciate this, I went to Hell and back to get it for you."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

PDN wrote: »
    There's also a Hell in Michigan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

I went there for a daytrip once. I bought my wife a souvenir. I told her, "I hope you appreciate this, I went to Hell and back to get it for you."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

I can't help but notice that everytime I enter this forum there is at least five Google sponsored Christian ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I posted this argument on Dawkins net over a year ago. I just wanted to see what ye make of it.

1:Assume for a moment that God exists and is infinitely compassionate and omnipotent.
    2:I am not infinitely compassionate yet I would save my child from hell if I was omnipotent.
    3:God is more compassionate than me and is omnipotent.
    4:Therefore if an infinitely compassionate and omnipotent God exists Hell cannot logically exist.

Here is the fault in your arguement, well really just the fault of the title of the thread. Shame really, I thought you had proved that hell/God couldn't exist. Never getting my hopes up again :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Surely Hell is Heaven. The idea of eternity is hell no matter what the surroundings. I could see myself running a book on who would be first to beg God for oblivion and how long it would take.

The closer you get to infinity The Devil sticking a fork up your ass will start to seem exactly the same as watching lambs jump over daisies in perpetual summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Gary%20Larson.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

musician wrote: »
    Surely Hell is Heaven. The idea of eternity is hell no matter what the surroundings. I could see myself running a book on who would be first to beg God for oblivion and how long it would take.

The closer you get to infinity The Devil sticking a fork up your ass will start to seem exactly the same as watching lambs jump over daisies in perpetual summer.

If God is infinitely powerful then he can be infinitely entertaining forever. Or he can make souls transcend time as we perceive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

I'm only wondering how one "gets closer to infinity"?

Burial wrote: »
    Here is the fault in your arguement, well really just the fault of the title of the thread. Shame really, I thought you had proved that hell/God couldn't exist. Never getting my hopes up again :(

Well at least you know that if the Christian God does exist you will either have eternal bliss or eternal rest.Lol.

I wonder what would have happened if I posted this on the Christian forum? ....................Will I?:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wonder what would have happened if I posted this on the Christian forum? ...
    You'd have most of the same people replying for a start...

Advertisement