Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Honda Accord

Options
  • 04-09-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Saw one in the flesh yesterday, nice edgy styling, but what really caught my eye were the sexiest door handles I've ever seen, beautiful pieces of sculpture. Well done Honda.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the only good honda ever made was the nsx... accords are alot like kia's.... doesnt matter how nice and affordable they are, i wouldnt own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

ignore him seriously, always talking sh1te on the modified cars forum.

i have owned 3 accords. two 1999 accord sir-t two litre dohc vtec and a 00 accord 2.2 litre euro r.

the euro r is a beautiful car to drive.

my cousin has the new accord and said while its pricey, the car is beautiful to drive and everyting is perfect inside.

the interior is immaculate and as its a honda, its bombproof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This car has now finally been launched here.

Starts at €32,500 IIRC, less than the outgoing model, the diesel is €33,800 IIRC.

http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

looks like the diesel is in the band C now too, so the pricing is a bit better than usual with Accords.
    Would have hoped honda could have cracked the B band, but as a 2.2 its got great torque. It would probably have to be reduced to a 2L to get to the elusive 16%.
    The Estate model is light-years more attractive than the salesman's box that was the old one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Saw one in the flesh yesterday, nice edgy styling, but what really caught my eye were the sexiest door handles I've ever seen, beautiful pieces of sculpture. Well done Honda.

The handles are the same as the current model. The sharper lines along the body just shows them off better.

I like the look off it but if I was to change, id be looking north or UK to get the best deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

sk8board wrote: »
    looks like the diesel is in the band C now too, so the pricing is a bit better than usual with Accords.
    Would have hoped honda could have cracked the B band, but as a 2.2 its got great torque. It would probably have to be reduced to a 2L to get to the elusive 16%.
    The Estate model is light-years more attractive than the salesman's box that was the old one too.

The reason the CO2 is mostly unchanged between the old model and new is because of a filter for other harmful particles that diesels have in their exhaust. The filter has the opposite effect on power and CO2 emissions, reducing power and increasing CO2 output, so in effect Honda's efforts to reduce CO2 output were largely negated. As a result they have an engine that's probably cleaner in every other way than most diesels for other emissions, but average on CO2. They did get 10 more bhp too though for slightly less CO2 and better mpg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The handles are the same as the current model. The sharper lines along the body just shows them off better.

I'd need some convincing on this, they look a different shape to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Went for a look at one of these. Very tinny, there was no wait in the doors and the boot felt like a can. Wasn't impressed at all. Very grey boring interior. Looks well from the front though. Wouldn't touch one over a High Spec Insignia, Passat or Superb.

I'd need some convincing on this, they look a different shape to me. :)

Your right. I just saw upclose pics of the new accord and they are slightly diff

My 2004 Accord
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/20149/40863.JPG

2009 Accord
    http://www.zcars.com.au/images/2009-honda-accord-euro-sports-package12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S.I.R wrote: »
    the only good honda ever made was the nsx... accords are alot like kia's.... doesnt matter how nice and affordable they are, i wouldnt own one.

It's generally accepted that you know nothing about cars though.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's generally accepted that you know nothing about cars though.

ROFL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

S.I.R wrote: »

Gee! I'm very surprised to hear that you dont like Honda :rolleyes:.

Went for a look at one of these. Very tinny, there was no wait in the doors and the boot felt like a can. Wasn't impressed at all. Very grey boring interior. Looks well from the front though. Wouldn't touch one over a High Spec Insignia, Passat or Superb.

Thats the great thing about cars - its all down to personal taste. I, on the other hand would pick a boat-full of Accords before any of the 3 models you listed. Quite fancy the previous type-s. None of the 3 models you listed have a 2.0L petrol 'sporty' spec model to come close.

Thats the great thing about cars - its all down to personal taste. I, on the other hand would pick a boat-full of Accords before any of the 3 models you listed. Quite fancy the previous type-s. None of the 3 models you listed have a 2.0L petrol 'sporty' spec model to come close.

No, don't get me wrong i really like the previous Accord. The Passat can come with a 2.0 Fsi and a 3.6 engine, likewise with the Superb.

The Insignia comes with a 160bhp diesel as well. There are "sporty" spec models of those cars.

Have you actually seen a new Accord in person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

No, don't get me wrong i really like the previous Accord. The Passat can come with a 2.0 Fsi and a 3.6 engine, likewise with the Superb.

The Insignia comes with a 160bhp diesel as well. There are "sporty" spec models of those cars.

Have you actually seen a new Accord in person?

3.6 in the Superb? The new one? Surely that was never in the old one.
    I don't rate cars by the weight of the doors though, so I like the Accord! The Superb and Insignia are grand, the Superb is good value but the worst looking saloon by far in it's sector. The Opel is good value, but so is the better spec'd and rarer Legacy. The Passat has to be chosen with at least the 140bhp 2.0 diesel, and at that it's fine, but I'd sooner the Accord. Still a better engine in the Honda.

Biro wrote: »
    3.6 in the Superb? The new one? Surely that was never in the old one.
    I don't rate cars by the weight of the doors though, so I like the Accord! The Superb and Insignia are grand, the Superb is good value but the worst looking saloon by far in it's sector. The Opel is good value, but so is the better spec'd and rarer Legacy. The Passat has to be chosen with at least the 140bhp 2.0 diesel, and at that it's fine, but I'd sooner the Accord. Still a better engine in the Honda.

Lol, it's the new Superb alright.

I wouldn't choose a car on the weight of the door either, but everything is very light on it. Interior on the one i saw was mank. Very grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Have to say these are very nice looking from the front. I didn't rate the interior much as it remains largely unchanged from the prev models. The back looks a bit bulky too and plus the overall size of the car has definitely increased. I parked my 06 accord next to the 09 exec model and its noticeably bigger.

Still want one though! ;)

Interior on the one i saw was mank. Very grey.

to be fair, VW, Skoda and Opel are the kings of grey plastics!

Not really:confused:

the previous accord has grey and ivory leather options. I went for the ivory cos i liked it. I would assume the new model would be somethin along the same lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah. Thats true alright. I always find the interiors of the VW and Opel very "hard" or "cold". I'm sure they are well put together but appear very functional and without much thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yeah. Thats true alright. I always find the interiors of the VW and Opel very "hard" or "cold". I'm sure they are well put together but appear very functional and without much thought.

Yet boardies on here (and most journos) will wax lyrical about VW interiors. The MkIV Golf was a step ahead in the class (for it's time) alright but otherwise they seem extremely boring to me.

pburns wrote: »
    Yet boardies on here (and most journos) will wax lyrical about VW interiors. The MkIV Golf was a step ahead in the class (for it's time) alright but otherwise they seem extremely boring to me.

A lot of it has to do with the quality feel of the plastics. For example anyone who drove the 99-05 Focus versus the Focus II will notice a gulf of a difference. The newer one has a real quality feel; lots of heavy soft-touch plastics, well put together. The buttons have a clunky feel, like they'll last the course no worries. I'm sure VW have the same.

Advertisement