Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome

Options
  • 04-09-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Anyone used it yet ?

I downloaded it last night and i'm impressed, it's going to be my browser of choice from now on.

Firefox 3 has become so slow and prone to crashes with me. As much as i'm sympathetic to it over IE, it's becoming unusable (and I haven't got very many add-ons).

Chrome's a breeze, way faster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

I'm using it now, it's pretty good. BUT my java isnt working.. does it support java in the browser or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marmaduke

Downloaded chrome yesterday and used it for the day seems fine - worked quickly and imported all my settings from firefox. It's got a nice feature that shows you on your homepage the most popular sites that you visited for easy navigation.

Other than that don't really notice any huge difference it's no quicker than firefox which i was using. But competitions good - anything other than internet explorer which is a big bucket of crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Oiche_mhaith

Check out the EULA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Which has been changed... Or download the source, compile your own, avoid the EULA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Does it store any data for google about your browsing habbits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd try the Google Chrome browser but Im hooked on the adblock function of Firefox.

I'm liking it so far.
    For a beta, i'm not running into too much trouble with sites.
    If it stays like this, it will be my default Browser.

There doesn't seem to be a Stop button either.

Is there any contact info to send bugs/improvements to? There usually is for beta testing but can't see one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jjpm

Ass Face wrote: »
    Does it store any data for google about your browsing habbits?

It stores all the information you type in the "Omnibox" or Address bar - think of using the Chrome Omnibox as using Google's own seach engine (which logs all searches made).

Also, enthusiastic Chrome users should check out this link >http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150776/critical_vulnerability_patched_in_googles_chrome.html
    That is, of course, if you haven't used the spanner tool bar to get updates yet. Also worth a look is >http://www.chromevoice.com/the-chrome-minor-tweak-you-need-to-make-now/ This briefly tells you why you should turn on a feature that stops Chrome automatically downloading files without telling you.

What are your first impressions of this (still Beta version in the eyes of Google) browser? I have some concerns re. privacy but it is still a pretty neat piece of kit.

When you delete a link in the favourites it doesn't prompt you before removing it.
    Also the spellchecker is for US english, anyway to change it?

I hope Google people are checking in here, it could be a great browser, just need to iron out some of these issues.

Some sites like eflow don't support the browser either, don't know why that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is there any way to disable the spell checker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 se51

BenjAii wrote: »
    Anyone used it yet ?

I downloaded it last night and i'm impressed, it's going to be my browser of choice from now on.

Firefox 3 has become so slow and prone to crashes with me. As much as i'm sympathetic to it over IE, it's becoming unusable (and I haven't got very many add-ons).

Chrome's a breeze, way faster.

Here's my thing...

1) Chrome uses an old WebKit build, which has a well-known vulnerability. That's right, one could, if one knows how, run anything in super user space.

2) It's fast allright. Still, Firefox and Fasterfox - and boom.

3) They say each tab is a process 'container', nothing could crash the browser entirely. Well, we know now this is incorrect.

4) No Java support. 'Nuff said on this one.

5) Plugins?

6) Themes?

7) Mac / Linux version? (I know it's coming, but still)

8) Besides, it destroyed the graphic driver on my work machine (XP with SP3). Had to use System Restore. For real.

9) Everything - EVERYTHING - is transmitted to Google, every letter you type. Yeap, that's right folks. No way to turn that one off ever.

Me not so impressed...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

se51 wrote: »
    3) They say each tab is a process 'container', nothing could crash the browser entirely. Well, we know now this is incorrect.
    We do?
    8) Besides, it destroyed the graphic driver on my work machine (XP with SP3). Had to use System Restore. For real.
    A browser destroyed a graphic driver? I'd love to know how that happened...
    9) Everything - EVERYTHING - is transmitted to Google, every letter you type. Yeap, that's right folks. No way to turn that one off ever.
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 se51

oscarBravo wrote: »
    We do?

We do.
    http://profy.com/2008/09/03/bad-news-google-chrome-crashes/
    oscarBravo wrote:
    A browser destroyed a graphic driver? I'd love to know how that happened...

No one here knows how. However, other colleagues of mine were less fortunate. Their machine had to be entirely reinstalled.
    oscarBravo wrote:
    Source?

Admittedly, I am wrong here. It was the case before, but has now been amended, as I just have found out.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/does_google_have_rights_to_all.php

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

se51 wrote: »
    Interesting. Still, I'm not sure they claimed that nothing could crash the browser; merely that something that killed a browsing process wouldn't kill the whole browser. Obviously something in the master process (or whatever) died - hey, it's beta.
    No one here knows how. However, other colleagues of mine were less fortunate. Their machine had to be entirely reinstalled.
    I'm not sure whether to be skeptical as to whether this is even possible, or unsurprised that windows allows it to happen.
    Admittedly, I am wrong here. It was the case before, but has now been amended, as I just have found out.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/does_google_have_rights_to_all.php
    I don't think it was the case before. It was the case that the T&Cs may have allowed for it if you interpreted them in a certain way. The fact that they quickly amended them suggests to me that they had no nefarious intentions to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Baffles me why anyone is so enthusiastic about a browser that does less then most browsers, comes from a company that makes it money from advertising and has nothing to show for itself yet.

Yawn, let's wait a couple of months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

oscarBravo wrote: »
    hey, it's beta.

All google apps are beta. Including gmail.
    gmailbetalq0.jpg
    It's their way of reserving the right to charge at some point in the future. They most likely won't but they reserve the right to. They generally release finished products with the beta tag for that reason.

As for Chrome - I installed it and uninstalled it in the same hour. Absolute shite! Beta or not - still crap. It wouldn't display any of the sites I use properly. That was in work, as I use Linux at home, so maybe it was the proxy blocking their tracking crap. But if that's the case it makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

My goole Chrome won't translate, the translate box is ticked and still nothing. I'm running Windows 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cflanagan

Personally, I love Chrome better than Firefox since Firefox has become a RAM memory *hugger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

cflanagan wrote: »
    Personally, I love Chrome better than Firefox since Firefox has become a RAM memory *hugger*
    Get more ram.

• Advertisement
Advertisement