Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walls skimmed but no heat in house? Can I begin painting?

Options
  • 04-09-2008 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Folks,

As the title suggests, last week my plasterer finished skimming (over plasterboard) the house (new build). I have no heat in house nor won't for the forseeable future (two months possibly). Skim coat drying v quickly as neither front nor back door on yet & winds are howling through the place! Floor was power floated way back in February so no screed to pour. Can i therefore being painting shortly or should I wait until I have heat to start applying paint to walls? My thinking was to paint before second fixing (at least the sealing coat & possibly first "real" coat as there's less prep required. Appreciate any advice....boots

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Boots

There a re a lot of factors here such as board humidity and the fact that the house is not element enclosed yet. just asked plasterer for advice and sounds ok but ideally the house should be all enclosed before that. The painting of walls still sounds early , i got this from my man on the job

New build wall and ceilings No Heat and paint 2/3 weeks
    Recoat of exsisting plaster No Heat 1 week and paint 1 week 10 days

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Once the doors are on and the house is enclosed, rent a couple of dehumidifiers for a couple of days, then you should be OK to paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 boots1

Thanks folks....much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with Art6.
    Wait till the external doors are complete.
    It might be windy, but the air is damp and wet, especially at night.

Get dehumidifiers. Mix 50 - 50 water / emulsion for first coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Will be in the same boat in about 6 weeks time. Will the dehumidifier create any potential problems???? Could the plaster dry out to quickly and crack or anything like that????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

getfit wrote: »
    Will be in the same boat in about 6 weeks time. Will the dehumidifier create any potential problems???? Could the plaster dry out to quickly and crack or anything like that????

Personally I wouldn't use them immediately after the plastering is finished. Wait a few day to be on the safe side, although I've not heard of them causing the plaster to crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

I haven't heard anyone I'd respect say it, but it's one of those things you'd "hear mentioned"... I'm just playing devils advocate as I plan to throw a dehumidifier into my gaff to try and speed things up by a week or two when the plastering is done!

Advertisement