Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Customer Services Rant

Options
  • 04-09-2008 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all just want to get it out of my chest!

About 2.5 month ago just before I went on my hols I received a bill from Meteor for €200. Now I have a Vodafone pay as you go. I went to the store close to my work that day and was told to go to the store where that phone was actually bought, so I did that evening and after a long long conversation they pooled out copies of the person who bought the phone and turned out that it was my bank statement copy and faked passport under my name!!! They said that happened before and they will take care of it and someone will contact me.

Next day I went on holiday for two weeks no one have contacted me, but when I came back I found out that my account was debited for €200 by Meteor! I was furious!

So here how the story went:
    - Called Meteor store again, girl said it was not up to them to sort that our I have to call Customer Services?!
    - Called Customer Services, no note had been made from the branch I explained the situation; they said should be fine now. Ok
    - Couple weeks later no refund and et another bill for nearly €900, went ballistic, now by this time I have changed my bank details
    - Called customer services again they have no clue about what’s going on no notes on my account what so ever!!! Advised to go to Gards and report it, even though they told me before they will do it themselves!
    - Went to Garda, reported all this, was told they will contact the Meteor regarding this.
    - Couple weeks later receive a letter from one of those companies trying to get money out of me, saying if I won’t pay they will put a disclosure in National Publications! At this stage I just cried….
    - Called Garda the person who is dealing with my claim went on holidays, great timing! Called Meteor explained whole situation again gave Garda claim details, was told someone will revert in a 48 hours, never did
    - Called Meteor again asked for the person I spoke before couldn’t find him explained the situation again, told some one will contact me definitely in 48 hours, never happed.
    - Called today screamed at them was promised someone will get back to me before the end of the day, waiting…. Going mad of all this…

How do I deal with them? Any personal experiences? I just have no idea what to do next?

Sorry for the long post, just so upset about this whole situation..:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Thats disgraceful treatment by Meteor. I have found some of the people replying to my emails to be fairly stupid but no major problems thank God.
    I would have immediately reported this to the Guards myself, knowing someone was using my identity and bank account. Was it reported to the bank? Not sure what they would do.
    Did you speak with a manager in Meteor. Getting ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Go to the Communications Regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭marinchik

Hi there, thanks for your replies.

I should've reported to the Gards straigh away myself, but you see I was told by Meteor store manager that they will take care of everything and will contact the Gards too and then someone will revert with update, surely that never happened.

i went to the bank straight away and they sort of froze my account untill I return from my holiday and change the account details. I had to call them by the end of my holiday as I needed to withdraw money and as soon as a/c went active DD went through for €200 for Meteor, so when I came back to Ireland I cancelled DD and changed my a/c.

Oh by the by, I got another bill from Vodafone this time, but they were very supportive and i got sorted with them fairly quickly

I just emailed Communications Regulator, thanks a mill for the tip:)

Me again,

That girl from Meteor I called this morning didn't come back to me even though promissed. Emailed them again see if someone will get back...

Thanks a mill lads..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

marinchik wrote: »
    Me again,

That girl from Meteor I called this morning didn't come back to me even though promissed. Emailed them again see if someone will get back...

Thanks a mill lads..

You must be going out of your mind !!!

I'm sure you know this by now already yourself, but at the first sniff of any hassle with someone like this, you should keep a diary of all communications with them. It can be helpful when referring back to things...

Best of luck, hope you get sorted..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

See if you can get a complaint/issue ticket number from them also, and the contact details of the person you are dealing with (name & extension).. That can help to focus their mind..

Ye I should've kept diary of all communications but i didn't at first wasn't expecting this much hassle:eek: But I started it few weeks ago though and have emailed Meteor again saying if they won't get this matter sorted in a next couple days then I'll go to national publications myself:o

I got last girls details I was talking to and her direct line will give her a call next week, leave it for today see if she will get back to me herself first:rolleyes:

Thank you all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It is being recommended way to often but in this case I'd honestly recommend to open a small claims court case to get the ball rolling. It will cost you 9 Euro to open it but considering all the hassle it will save you in the end I'd say it is money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Any follow up to this yet? Im interested to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Me too:D so, i'm gonna suscribe.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Well since my last post i have contacted that Debit Collecting Agency and advised them that I have reported this case to Gards and gave them the details, they said they need report to be faxed over to them, fine..

Called Gards explained the above, he said that its not one of their procedures to fax something on my behalf and told me to give them all the details so they could contact him themself, fine...

Called Agency again:rolleyes: advised of same they agreed to give Gards a call, after couple of hours I called Agency again to see whats the story he seems to be happy anough with Gards statement and said he will forward it to Meteor.

Meantime yesterday morning I called Meteor again, explained the situation AGAIN:mad: was talking to Credit Control girl said she can see from record I was talking to different people before, she said she will talk to the last girl I was talking and revert. I said that I heard that before and noone actuaaly does come back to me. She said she definately will, we arrange for her to call me on my direct line at 2.30pm, now do you think she did?! Not a chance....

As i was advised by Communication Regulator placed a claim with Meteor and if they won't revert in 10 working days the ComReg will get involved..

Going mental here....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hi all,

Well since my last post i have contacted that Debit Collecting Agency and advised them that I have reported this case to Gards and gave them the details, they said they need report to be faxed over to them, fine..

Called Gards explained the above, he said that its not one of their procedures to fax something on my behalf and told me to give them all the details so they could contact him themself, fine...

Called Agency again:rolleyes: advised of same they agreed to give Gards a call, after couple of hours I called Agency again to see whats the story he seems to be happy anough with Gards statement and said he will forward it to Meteor.

Meantime yesterday morning I called Meteor again, explained the situation AGAIN:mad: was talking to Credit Control girl said she can see from record I was talking to different people before, she said she will talk to the last girl I was talking and revert. I said that I heard that before and noone actuaaly does come back to me. She said she definately will, we arrange for her to call me on my direct line at 2.30pm, now do you think she did?! Not a chance....

As i was advised by Communication Regulator placed a claim with Meteor and if they won't revert in 10 working days the ComReg will get involved..

Going mental here....

Wow you really have had the run around. Not on.

One word of advice I would give you is to immediately ask for a team lead from now on when you contact meteor. They have more power than the regular working joes and can get things done quicker.

The run around you have had is pretty disgraceful tbh, if I was recieving info from the Gardai along these lines in business I would drop the costs immediately rather than face the PR nightmare it could become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Do Meteor not have a fraud department? I know that O2 do and they solely work on cases like this.

It,s possible that the customer services team have not forwarded it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

truely shocking, i would have thought in this day and age that identity theft would be taken very seriously by every company. Not so with this shower it
    seems. It's amazing that granted ok the op didnt know anything till he got the 1st bill, but then to have gotten a 2nd one when this shower of idiots
    could have blocked the the phone on receipt of the original posters
    complaint. Incredible.

Hi Musha,

Yes Meteor have a fraud department and when I call customer services they always say that they will email that department and then someone will revert to me in 48 hours and as i said nobody does
    I asked if I can have a chat with that department myself but they said no, apparently they can be only emailed by customer services:(

Gards actually warned me that it could be so much trouble and that I would have to be on to them every second day, they said that heard of some cases that people haven't received their money back, now thats plain crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Hi Musha,

Yes Meteor have a fraud department and when I call customer services they always say that they will email that department and then someone will revert to me in 48 hours and as i said nobody does
    I asked if I can have a chat with that department myself but they said no, apparently they can be only emailed by customer services:(

Gards actually warned me that it could be so much trouble and that I would have to be on to them every second day, they said that heard of some cases that people haven't received their money back, now thats plain crazy!

Do not ring the many more. The only route now should be the legal one.

Meteor can plainly see that they have stolen your money. Yes, they did steal it - it is up to them to verify the customer, they never got your permission to take the funds from your account, so it is theft (albeit, unintentional). The problem here is that Meteor are proving far too incompetent to deal with this situation. You can keep ringing them, but what's to say their fraud department will actually improve?

Go for small claims, requesting the money back and further sum of money to cover teh costs of reclaiming said money (phone calls/time etc).

Or you could go the Joe Duffy way. In cases like this, Joe Duffy can be the saviour as the company is embarrassed into dealing with the situation immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Oh my god, I couldn't believe- well really its what I kinda expect from Meteor but that is absolutely outragous. I had a run in with them last week over validating a customer but this really takes the biscuit.

I have contacted Meteor before and looked for the manager"I'm sorry the manager doesn't take calls" so I got narked as someone was after changing details on my account and I wouldn't get off the phone and told the girl this, Meteor didn't take me serious(do they take anyone serious on that note?)

I'm delighted you have got onto the boys in blue over this, I would be straight down to register for the small claims and take meteor out as I really do find this horrendous. I believe you when you say no one got back to you- they NEVER do! Thats why I never will take out a contract with Meteor and I wont move back to them again for PAYG.

Oh I'm fuming here as I write this as I really am disgusted with them.

my advice. go to the small claims €1270 is the max you can claim for but as you said they've taken €900 I think you're well within your rights to take them out!
    Rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No one has brought up the issue of how a person got your details to do this. They would need a copy of your photo ID and your bank details. I'd be worried about that too, to be honest.

Hi all, thanks for all your support and advise much appreciated.

What also suprises me its when the account was opened they had to send a Direct Debit Mandate signed by that person who bought the phone and why didn't the bank compare the signatures I bet it would be different from mine they would have on record!

And yes at this stage I'm going legal way, as at this stage its a joke and I have to get them for all my wasted nerves, time, money on phone calls.

Thanks a mill,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

The fault lies with the shop that actually set up the account. They are not allowed to accept photo copies of anything!!! they have to copy the originals themselves.
    If I were you... I would call Meteor again. Ask to speak to a team lead and get the following info

When the contract was set up
    the shop it was set up in
    the person in the shop that set up the deal

Then tell them that you expect a call from the fraud department within 24 hours. Tell them that you have also been in contact with a solicitor and also with com reg.

I use meteor but only for the free text messages. I have had hassle with them also where I was late paying a bill ( having rang them first and informed them of this!!) They then proceeded to cancel my services (without telling me!) then issued a cancel contract fee. then passed my account onto their legal department to pursue me for the balance. Before it even got the the legal departement I had, as agreed pair the bill! I then emailed the legal department who said that they would speak with meteor and revert........3 weeks ago!!!!!!!!

I totally agree that you should go to the small claims court on this. Make sure that you have all the above information. you are also entitled to get a copy of the documentation that was submitted but you may need to get a solicitor to request this for you.Sorry for the rant... Meteor make me really really angry

• Advertisement

Wow I see you also had your share of troubles with Meteor, they are just unreal, aren't they?:(

I know the shop, person and the date the account was set up. The first time I called Meteor I referred to that and mentioned that that outlet manager was supposed to fax over to Head Office all the evidence with explanation, but they claimed they never received anything! When I called that store again they said I need to Contact Customer Services and explain the situation myself:confused: and before they told me not to worry as they will sort all of this themself!

I have emailed Small claims court with my story see what they got to say about all that, getting very fed up with all this....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hopefully you get somewhere with it... it's completely unacceptable! Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I wish you all the luck, I know I'm going to get a battering for saying this but I would go back to the shop and demand it be sorted, get them to ring meteor, you speak with them too. I was going to say about it earlier about someone stealing your identity and the shop should have taken more precautions- I often ask for a Passport/Driving Licence a bill and if I dont know the person I ask them for a bank card-I know the bank card only has a name but I wouldnt take the chance of signing up someone like this- spoke to vodafone a month ago about someone trying to pull off as someone else and unlike meteor they take this seriously!:)

Me again,

Got email yesterday from credit control asking to give them alternative phone number, when I have already given my mobile, office, direct line number?! I emailed her back with all those numbers again and advised that I don't have a home number. She still haven't came back to me, not suprised anymore:(

Went to the shop again spoke to one of the shop assitants explained the situation again, girl said I would be better to talk to the manager the one I spoke in a first place, but she was gone that time so I left a message and asked her to give me a call today, waiting.....Will give her a call tomorrow again:mad:

Just got a call from Meteor while writing this:) Girl explained to me that i have to go to the bank and make an indemnity claim, what ever that is, so the bank will request the money back from Meteor!!!
    Well thats funny because before I was told that the money would be electronically transferred or they will issue a cheque!!

I believe they don't know thenself how the system works:mad:

Going to give a call to my bank and see what they got to say about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I would definitely take this legal. You need to get a solicitor involved immediately. There's a fair possibility that you may have to at least threaten to sue them to make them pay attention.

Also, I would suggest that you immediately contact the Data Protection Commissioner. Your personal data's being abused and they're not prepared to do anything about it

Visit :

http://www.dataprotection.ie/

For more info

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why are you conducting so much of this communication via the means of email? It's very easy for staff to ignore emails. (It's not a channel of communication for serious matters).

Following your initial round of phone calls, I would now be well down the route of registered letters, with copies being sent to the Accounts Receivable Department, the Fraud Department and the office of the Chief Financial Officer.

At this stage I would notify Meteor in writing that, having exhausted all other means of resolving this issues, you have contacted ComReg and are investigating instigating a Small Courts Claim.

Hi all,

I think my matteris going to be resolved soon. Got a call from my bank saying that they are sending an indemnity letter to the Meteor as they requested and i should get my money back in couple weeks, well I sincerely hope so:rolleyes:

Thanks a mill for advises and support, appreciate this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Hi marinchik,

I think that this should be brought all the way with Meteor, When you get your money back they will wipe their hands of the responsibilty of the initial error in letting a stranger use your details to obtain good and services fraudulently. I would get a credit rating as soon as to make sure that you don't have any more nastie surprises in the post.
    At least try and recoup the cost for the inconvience you yourself in calls, emails and footwork.

BTW Thanks for keeping us updated I hate when people start these threads and we don't get the end bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Musha wrote: »
    I would get a credit rating as soon as to make sure that you don't have any more nastie surprises in the post.

Good piece of advice there. I would definitely follow up on that.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for the advice. Credit Rating was my biggest concern when all this s**t started and I will indeed check that in few weeks time. I have asked the gards in relation to that, they said ah well if in future you'll have a troubles just keep this claim reference number we gave you and you can refer to it at any time, but I don't want to every time I need a loan or something call the Gards to settle the matter!!

I am going to write to Meteor to try and get them as you mentioned for all money waisted on phone calls, footwork, nerve wrecking;)

Advertisement