Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New printing system

Options
  • 04-09-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

The new printing is more "cost effective", or so the union and the college says. And yes B&W is a cent cheaper then it was, but colour printing has gone from 25c per sheet to 50c per sheet (as quoted in the UCDSU handbook). Thats not more cost effective, and although colour isn't used as much as B&W, most people have to print out 2 of their thesis' in colour... But now its twice as expensive to print off... DAM UNION!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

But also BW printing is printed on both sides of a page. Or does anyone know how to change that setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In the new system there are separate queues for 1- and 2-sided A3 / or A4, for colour or B&W. When sending the print job, you choose the queue according to what kind you want.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

That's good. I assume that's done from the card reader/keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

most people have to print out 2 of their thesis' in colour...

Most theses are text for the most part, with only a few figures in colour. There is hardly a need to print all of it in colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hmm so I take it they charge the back and front as two pages then? Do you have to pay extra for one-sided printing I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

graduate wrote: »
    Most theses are text for the most part, with only a few figures in colour. There is hardly a need to print all of it in colour.

Point is its twice as much as it was

Chakar wrote: »
    That's good. I assume that's done from the card reader/keypad.
    I got it wrong earlier - there aren't separate queues for 1- and 2-sided, the queues are for A3 or A4, colour or B&W - details here.

In that case, why won't the standard methods work? You select 1- or 2-sided when setting up the print job, in printer options after you choose the print queue. I won't know exactly how it looks until next week, but it should not be hard to find.

— Kingsley Amis

I don't know. I've tried to change the settings at the Printer Options stage. I'll ask IT Services about that next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

gubbie wrote: »
    The new printing is more "cost effective", or so the union and the college says. And yes B&W is a cent cheaper then it was, but colour printing has gone from 25c per sheet to 50c per sheet (as quoted in the UCDSU handbook). Thats not more cost effective, and although colour isn't used as much as B&W, most people have to print out 2 of their thesis' in colour... But now its twice as expensive to print off... DAM UNION!

what the union say to you is not necessairly whats good for you !!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Have they sorted out Mac compatability yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Red Alert wrote: »
    There's a link to instructions for Macs, but the page won't load. My guess is yes. If the page doesn't work by Monday I'm gonna talk to IT Services about it. Saying bye bye to Fusion for printing will be nice :)

Red Alert wrote: »
    The system is made by a company called Pharos, who do have a Mac client, here. If you install that, you'd need to get the name of the print server and print queues, from IT Services, anyway, so I'd still recommend checking that web page first. I think it's only accessible from inside UCD: I got on today at UCD, but it's still inaccessible from home tonight.
    The standard package on there is a customised Windows executable - not natively Mac compatible at all. I had a look at it today, and installed it on my notebook - works fine. You have to enter your student ID to send each print job, so watch out for typos there, or other peoples' jobs in your queue..!

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Theres 2 sites for printing where you can change your pin and download the drivers for laptops however i have tried several times in the last few days but the site never loads. Anyone have any luck?

https://nrgwebsvr.ucd.ie/webcentre

and

https://nrgwebsvr.ucd.ie/uniprint/packages.asp

Anyone else been able to access these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Thank you, someone else can't access it either. Thought it was just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

thanks delta!both links are working now!

i was frustrated by the password when i was trying to print,they set our password to 0000.why dont they just use ours login password?because the printing password system wont accept more than 4 digit:pac:

seraphimvc wrote: »
    thanks delta!both links are working now!

i was frustrated by the password when i was trying to print,they set our password to 0000.why dont they just use ours login password?
    Well, when you get to the printer, the card unit takes numbers only = a PIN. I think it can be more than 4 digits if you change it on the server, but it's digits only.

— Kingsley Amis

Theres 2 sites for printing where you can change your pin and download the drivers for laptops however i have tried several times in the last few days but the site never loads. Anyone have any luck?

https://nrgwebsvr.ucd.ie/webcentre

and

https://nrgwebsvr.ucd.ie/uniprint/packages.asp

Anyone else been able to access these?

It's' working here - on the UCD network. So, probably it's inside the firewall, not visible from outside UCD. Can you go direct to its IP address? https://137.43.181.13 ?

— Kingsley Amis

We got a email there about the printing system. Apparently printing on 2 sides of paper is the default setting as it's 'environmentally friendly'. I wouldn't mind if it was printed correctly.

Chakar wrote: »
    We got a email there about the printing system. Apparently printing on 2 sides of paper is the default setting as it's 'environmentally friendly'. I wouldn't mind if it was printed correctly.
    Yes, it's the default, but you can change it for a given print job: when you say Print, before you say OK: hit Properties, go to the Finishing tab, and set "Print On Both Sides" to "Off", as shown in the following screenshot.

simplexprint.GIF

I'm bringing this old thread back up because I've noticed some folks don't quite get the idea of "queueing jobs" to the printer, so I have a couple of suggestions:
    - when you are sending multiple jobs to the printer, you do not need to wait for each job to finish before sending the next one! Please send them all at once, then hit C/CE to log off from the keypad.
    - similarly, if there are people queued up behind you: send all your jobs at once, log off, and let someone else in to send their jobs to the print queue.

Jobs are sent to the queue as soon as you say "Print" at the keypad, then you can step away from the keypad. The printer itself lags behind, but if there are lots of jobs to print - yours or anyone else's - the whole printing process goes much quicker if the printer gets the jobs one after the other, without "winding down" between them. Yes, there's a risk of getting printouts confused as they come out, but that's the way it was last year, before the new system was brought in. :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i get used to it already and found it quite efficient when you are printing stuffs compare to old times:pac: just key in the student number and password ,enter,enter,enter.best thing is i can change the object i need to print it out due to sometimes you mix up abit ,money saved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

betafrog wrote: »
    I'm less concerned about queueing jobs than I am about getting any jobs to print in the first place...

The amount of times I've hit print... Select all the options, entered my ID and said OK and then gone through the whole crap of swiping my card and typing my PIN only for the bloody thing to say I've no Jobs is really REALLY frustrating... Oh and the Mac client is a load of bo****ks!

Agree 100% about the Mac client.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Agree 100% about the Mac client.
    Yep. It was working fine for me for the first couple of weeks, then it just mysteriously stopped working. I haven't tried it in a while but these posts aren't exactly encouraging. :(

Advertisement