Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcondra / Marino

Options
  • 04-09-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

Pretty sure this is the right forum for this thread, if its not then apologies.

Im buying house at present and I really like Drumcondra. I also like Marino but to a lesser extent. However I know very little about what its like to live in these areas. I do not want to end up in a ghetto, I do not want trouble form ignorant locals and bored kids. Can anyone fill me in on what life is like there? Does the proximity to the City Centre cause problems??

Much appreciate any feed back.

Patrick

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

WOW you are really going to fit in with the ignorant locals, i bet they cant wait to have you as a neighbour.

What part of Drumcondra are you thinking about? its a big area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Maryan

I'm one of those ignorant tourists. ;) My daughter and I are going to stay for two nights in a B & B in Drumcondra. Apart from going to the city centre, is there any place we can go to for a night out? Restaurants, pubs, pub quizzes, live music, any advice is welcome. Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

Maryan wrote: »
    I'm one of those ignorant tourists. ;) My daughter and I are going to stay for two nights in a B & B in Drumcondra. Apart from going to the city centre, is there any place we can go to for a night out? Restaurants, pubs, pub quizzes, live music, any advice is welcome. Thanks. :)
    I gather quinns and mcgowans are supposed to be good places around there. Don't know much about them just heard ppl go on about them. Mostly younger crowd as opposed to old man scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

why for the life of them would anyone move somewhere they know nothing about? These threads should go away forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

Jay D wrote: »
    why for the life of them would anyone move somewhere they know nothing about? These threads should go away forever.
    Its actually something people have being doing for quite a while. You can read up about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_migration

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Couple of nice restaurants in Drumcondra, or within walking distance.
    Jamuna, Il Corvo, Chili Banana, Millmount House and of course Anderson's, both the main place close to the top of Griffith Avenue and the creperie on Carlingford Road (mmm).

http://www.jamunarestaurant.com/
    http://www.ilcorvorestaurant.ie/
    http://www.chillibanana.ie/
    http://www.andersons.ie/

Can't find a website for Millmount House, but their food is very yum - they do Chinese, Japanese and European.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

both nice areas.

my sis lives on brian road in marino. really nice place. great sense of community.
    places were going for a song a while back too, i'm sure its the same know what with the "R word" and all.

i'd recommend a nice part of marino over drumcondra tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Both nice area's, lots of nice bar's and places to eat. GReat take aways too.

Just be area that someone isn't selling Ballybough as Drumcondra, because you don't want to end up there. Or rather, you don't want to be paying the extra for the wrong address!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Simply move out of Dublin then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Maryan

Thank you, D500B and spurious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thank you, D500B and spurious. :)

Your welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Quinn is good on a thursday for students, and on match days. The Big Tree is very Irish and popular with tourists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Mairt wrote: »
    Both nice area's, lots of nice bar's and places to eat. GReat take aways too.

Just be area that someone isn't selling Ballybough as Drumcondra, because you don't want to end up there. Or rather, you don't want to be paying the extra for the wrong address!.

HEY NOW! I'm from Ballybough, and its not as bad as everyone thinks, I'm lucky enough to live in a nice part, but that was a bit harsh!!
    I actually remember a lady on the road next to me selling as South Clontarf. I s.hit you not .:rolleyes:

Marino is nice, handy with public transort, lots of green areas, restaraunts, pubs, pharmacies. Really good schools in and around the area too. There are always going to be problems with teenagers, but I wouldn't say its that common in some parts.

Advertisement