Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best opening paragraphs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

'It was the day my grandmother exploded. I sat in the crematorium, listening to my Uncle Hamish quietly snoring in harmony to Bach's Mass in B Minor, and I reflected that it always seemed to be death that drew me back to Gallanach.'

Iain Banks 'The Crow Road'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MPB1975

Jeffrey Eugenides: The Virgin Suicides: "On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide - it was Mary this time, and sleeping pills, like Therese - the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

-J.D Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

-Tolstoy Anna Karenina -All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

-Dante Divine Comedy - Midway in the journey of our life I found myself in a dark wood where the right way was lost.

Margaret Atwood The Blind Assassin -Ten days after the war ended, my sister Laura drove a car off a bridge.

L.P Hartley The Go-Between -The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

That last one has become a bit of a cliche but it was brilliant when I first read it all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robbie7171

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'm sure these two will be mentioned:

and

I agree, The man in black.....is one of the greatest opening lines I've read. Also the opening line from Moby Dick is a cracker......"Call me Ishmael"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die. For a long time though, Tyler and I were best friends. People are always asking, did I know about Tyler Durden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Three men at McAlester State Penitentiary had larger penises than Lamar Pye, but all were black and therefore, by Lamar’s own figuring, hardly human at all. His was the largest penis ever seen on a white man in that prison or any of the others in which Lamar had spent so much of his adult life. It was a monster, a snake, a ropey, veiny thing that hardly looked at all like what it was but rather like some form of rubber tubing.

Dirty White Boys
    Stephen Hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

'It was the day my grandmother exploded. I sat in the crematorium, listening to my Uncle Hamish quietly snoring in harmony to Bach's Mass in B Minor, and I reflected that it always seemed to be death that drew me back to Gallanach.'

Iain Banks 'The Crow Road'.

That one was my first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

-J.D Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

+ 1. You saved me having to type this all out. Love this opening sequence. :)
    marienbad wrote: »
    -Tolstoy Anna Karenina -All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

Would never have thought of this as its been years since I read the book but it does make an excellent opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

On the first Monday of the month of April, 1625, the bourg of Meung, in which the author of the Romance of the Rose was born, appeared to be in as perfect a state of revolution as if the Huguenots had just made a second Rochelle of it. Many citizens, seeing the women flying towards the High Street, leaving their children crying at the open doors, hastened to don the cuirass, and, supporting their somewhat uncertain courage with a musket or a partizan, directed their steps towards the hostelry of the Franc Meunier, before which was gathered, increasing every minute, a compact group, vociferous and full of curiosity.

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas.
    The building was on fire. And it wasn't my fault.

Blood Rites - Jim Butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am a vampire. For centuries I believed I was the last vampire on Earth, that I was the most powerful creature in existence. That belief gave me great self-confidence. I feared nothing because nothing could harm me. Then one remarkable day, my supposedly dead creator, Yaksha, came for me, and I discovered I was not omnipotent. A short time later, another vampire appeared, one Eddie Fender. He had Yaksha's strength, and once again I was almost destroyed. Yet I survived both Yaksha and Eddie, only to give birth to a daughter of unfathomable power an incomprehensible persuasion---Kalika, Kali Ma, the Dark Mother, the Supreme Goddess of Destruction. Yes, I believe my only child to be a divine incarnation, an avatar, as some would describe her. In a devastating vision he showed me her infinite greatness. The only problem is that my daughter seems to have been born without a conscience.

Actually I do have three other small problems.

I don'u know where Kalika is.

I know I must destroy her.

And I love her.

What book is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

'Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically. The cataclysm has happened, we are among the ruins, we start to build up new little habitats, to have new little hopes. It is rather hard work: there is now no smooth road into the future: but we go round, or scramble over the obstacles. We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen.'

-Lady Chatterley's Lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.'

The Call of Cthulhu; HP Lovecraft

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Blood Meridian
    See the child. He is pale and thin, he wears a thin and ragged linen shirt. He stokes the scullery fire. Outside lie dark turned fields with rags of snow and darker woods beyond that harbor yet a few last wolves. His folk are known for hewers of wood and drawers of water but in truth his father has been a schoolmaster. He lies in drink, he quotes from poets whose names are now lost. The boy crouches by the fire and watches him.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like, "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . ."And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about 100 miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

Catcher in the Rye
    If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them. They're quite touchy about anything like that, especially my father. They're nice and all I'm not saying that-but they're also touchy as hell. Besides, I'm not going to tell you my whole goddam autobiography or anything. I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy. I mean that's all I told D.B. about, and he's my brother and all. He's in Hollywood. That isn't too far from this crumby place, and he comes over and visits me practically every week end. He's going to drive me home when I go home next month maybe. He just got a Jaguar. One of those lithe English jobs that can do around two hundred miles an hour. It cost him damn near four thousand bucks. He's got a lot of dough, now. He didn't use to. He used to be just a regular writer, when he was home. He wrote this terrific book of short stories, The Secret Goldfish, in case you never heard of him. The best one in it was "The Secret Goldfish." It was about this little kid that wouldn't let anybody look at his goldfish because he'd bought it with his own money. It killed me. Now he's out in Hollywood, D.B., being a prostitute. If there's one thing I hate, it's the movies. Don't even mention them to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9 slow.loris

MPB1975 wrote: »
    Jeffrey Eugenides: The Virgin Suicides: "On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide - it was Mary this time, and sleeping pills, like Therese - the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope."

^That makes me want to read this book.

My favourite opening line is from One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez:

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Albert Camus - The Outsider
    MOTHER died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can’t be sure. The telegram from the Home says:
    YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY.FUNERAL TOMORROW.DEEP SYMPATHY. Which
    leaves the matter doubtful; it could have been yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

The War of the Worlds:
    No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those ofthe beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Albert Camus - The Outsider

Strange, I just started reading that today in French. It's interesting.

NinjaDucks wrote: »
    Strange, I just started reading that today in French. It's interesting.

I really like it - it is an odd little book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

A Picture of Dorain Gray = Oscar Wilde
    "The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography.
    Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all."

• Advertisement
Advertisement